Lose weight first & then lift or do both @ the same time?

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I think my body type is an Endomorph. Grow muscle easily, but hold onto fat easily. . I guess. Unless I am an ectomoroph, but a bad eater.
    Just wanted to point out that the Endomorph thing was a theory developed in the 1940s, it was never proven to be a real thing. It is only popular now in womens magazines...that are usually filled with lies and I would take with a grain of salt.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have friends who do Stronglifts, I have friends who split their body parts up and do isolation movements and I have friends who do nothing but Crossfit.
    I have friends who eat 8 x a day, I have friends who eat 2x a day.... some do IF, some don't......BUT

Guess what ? THEY ALL LOOK FREAKIN FANTASTIC and honestly, they are all lean and ripped.

The end result will be a toned, lean, stong, ripped athelete .......who cares how you got there :)

The ONLY thing they all do the same is..... LIFT heavy things and FUEL their bodies on lots and lots of food.
    this
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    do both. this is the format of p90x - it concentrates mostly on lifting and building lean muscle mass but also alternates with cardio every other day.

I fear this is a dumb question, but since I don't know the answer and have been pondering it for a long time I have to ask.

I need to lose weight, but I also need to tone up. I prefer a muscular look (not manly) but muscular.

Is it possible to do both at the same time?

I have read that it is not possible to lose fat and build muscles at the same time. However, since muscles burn fat, I find this odd, unless I misunderstood what I read.

Years ago, I was the weight I am now (overweight) and worked with a pt lifting heavy. I lost inches, but no scale weight. I then became a very toned (big person). I still was heavy, not the size I wanted to be, but looked incredibly toned. I wasn't pleased. I wanted to be little and then toned. It wasn't pretty and guys were looking at my arms and asking, "You workout?" One guy even did the "swell up" thing with his arms. How embarrassing! Ick! I guess it was a fat, muscular look. You know that type we see in a lot of guys? I felt like I looked like that. I mention this bc I grow muscle extremely easily.

So should I focus on full fledge fat loss and then lift? Or try to do both at the same time, which didn't really make me happy before.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bulk is so relative.

I encourage you all to read these articles. It's almost impossible to ACTUALLY bulk... what you are confusing for bulk is either building muscle and not loosing fat (which leads to great flex- but relaxed it just translates to "big"- it's a thing- not right/wrong- it just is.) or you lose body fat % and then you LOOK muscular- but you are beyond far from bulky. Also a thing- not right or wrong- just a thing.

It's incredibly difficult to truly bulk a woman up through pure lifting alone- it can't be done accidentally. It takes years of training and diet/nutritional monitoring to get bigger- and then after that it takes drugs.

please read this!!

http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-women-part-deux
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Okay, I get it. You are being a smart alec and giving me opposite advice and making fun of me based on other posts I have made in other threads on reducing sugar and cleansing. That is pretty cruel. Your posse does that too. What is sad is I almost believed you. I am really needing help and rather you gave me advice that will hurt my efforts.I don't care if this gets me deleted or not but "YOU'RE AN A**HOLE!" And I hope karma bites you.

I was just trying to help out. Since you bulk up easy I was trying to leverage that talent to your advantage. I should better step away now because I sense my feelings are going to get hurt. Gosh this was the rudest thing I've ever read on here. :cry:

Leave poor Taso alone. He is a delicate flower and gets hurt easily. Poor guy, people are so mean!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I think my body type is an Endomorph. Grow muscle easily, but hold onto fat easily. . I guess. Unless I am an ectomoroph, but a bad eater.
    Just wanted to point out that the Endomorph thing was a theory developed in the 1940s, it was never proven to be a real thing. It is only popular now in womens magazines...that are usually filled with lies and I would take with a grain of salt.

There are quite a few articles on the Livestrong site about this body type, and how to eat and exercise for it. Not sure if it is any more reliable, but at least it isn't a 'women's' magazine.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    hummmmm
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Okay, I get it. You are being a smart alec and giving me opposite advice and making fun of me based on other posts I have made in other threads on reducing sugar and cleansing. That is pretty cruel. Your posse does that too. What is sad is I almost believed you. I am really needing help and rather you gave me advice that will hurt my efforts.I don't care if this gets me deleted or not but "YOU'RE AN A**HOLE!" And I hope karma bites you.

I was just trying to help out. Since you bulk up easy I was trying to leverage that talent to your advantage. I should better step away now because I sense my feelings are going to get hurt. Gosh this was the rudest thing I've ever read on here. :cry:

Leave poor Taso alone. He is a delicate flower and gets hurt easily. Poor guy, people are so mean!

Thanks hun :flowerforyou:
    I slept on it and I've decided that I'm not going to let these internet bullies get to me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 15-20.. builds endurance and hard muscles... now diet is key if you have a **** diet you might as welll not even bother.. i wont tell you to cut out carbs but tell you to eat the right carbs at the right time. Whole wheat anything whole grain.. brown rice. Thing of this nature.. we want carbs before we lift for energy protien after for muscle recovery. Meats should only consist of fish chicken turkey and lean beef.. there are others like deer meat and those things but not evwryone can get those.. you should be eaiting 5-6 small meals a day spread out around your workout and dailu life they should be 2 1/2 -3 hours apart. This stimulates your metabolism which.burns calories.... but these are small healthy meals or snacks. Not 6 whoppers a day

Not yet through all four pages yet, but tentatively in to learn more about the small meals throughout the day = stimulated metabolism thing.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I have never in read so much horrible and misguided information in my life.. what the hello kitty are you all talking about.. wow...purely wow. Ma'am seek professional advice from a certified trainer or nutritionist. Def not these fools

Well then can you help me? What should I do?

P.S. The last man who posted made up opposite information intentionally. He does it to me in every thread. He enjoys taking up 5 minutes of his life which he will never get back again and spending on me just to try to annoy me. But it's his life, he must not value it much.
    i understand his posts where ridiculous.. and yes.. i will gladly give you advice that is going to work.. first things first..never lift heavy if you want to tone and burn fat.. heavy lifting builds mass.. how do i know.. look at my pictures.. you need high reps high sets to build hard tone muscles.. and you need to build muscle.. the more muscle we have the more calories we burn.. now cardio.. intense alternating cardio.. running or walking or eliptical alone wont cut it.. interval training where you will burn the most calories. Going back and forth between speeds every one to two minutes.. example.. treadmill.. jogg for one min sprint for 30 seconds..back and forth. This for 15 mins will burn more calories than running alone for 30 mins..give me a min ill brb

I just want to make sure I understand? You are calling other people out on "ridiculous misinformation" and yet you post "never lift heavy if you want to tone and burn fat.. heavy lifting builds mass.. how do i know.. look at my pictures.. you need high reps high sets to build hard tone muscles" You can't be serious right? Eating at a surplus while lifting weights will gain muscle......Eating at a deficit.....no matter what rep scheme/weight will not.

I am all for the HIIT so I won't argue that....but the first part of your statement holds no truth. I would be glad to debate it with you just please be prepared to bring peer reviewed unbiased studies that support your opinion........

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 Year Consecutive Logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

There are quite a few articles on the Livestrong site about this body type, and how to eat and exercise for it. Not sure if it is any more reliable, but at least it isn't a 'women's' magazine.

Just my personal opinion, but I put livestrong articles only very slightly above "womens' magazine" articles.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You will build some muscle.. its all science.. all of it.. one pound of fat is 3000 calories.. you have to be in a deficit to lose that fat.. you have to burn off some of what you take in

3500 but who's counting.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 Year Consecutive Logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    All I can say is check out my profile pic, I'm doing both, yeah I'm fat as hell, I've got 100 lbs more to lose, but my arms are getting stacked on top, my butt is higher, and I'm losing weight like a boss while building muscle.

Now I'm not a fan of how the biggest loser works, but the reason that those people lose so much weight is the workout they do which is a mix of cardio and a ton of LIFTING like a boss. It's the only way to go.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options

3500 but who's counting.

Me. I'm freakin counting.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i think its actually a very good question.

Think its best that you weight train while you eat at a defecit. Really only in hopes of hanging onto your lean bodymass.

eating at a defecit, you really can't add mass (muscle) while removing mass (fat)... unless you are extreamly overwieght, brand spanking new to lifting, a former athelete/gym buff that took off a very long break, or your taking steroids lol. so it might SEEM kinda pointless, but the stimulis will prevent you from losing as much muslce as you otherwise would. plus i think its possible to shape and condition a muslce without adding muslce mass.

i always weight train and try to eat at a modest defecit when i cut and i still lose muscle. the good news is it comes back REALLY FAST.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, high reps for hypertrophy (more muscle) and low reps with high weight for strength gains.

From the first result in google:
    Generally speaking, reps in the 1RM to 5RM range increase maximal strength with minimal gains in mass. Reps in the 8RM to 15RM range produce greater gains in hypertrophy, while reps between 6RM and 7RM produce equal changes in hypertrophy and strength.

At the moment I'm sticking with 3x5 - though I have nothing against hypertrophy specifically as I'm a big-framed bloke (ie large chest etc) and a bit-bulky look suits me, I reckon.

So, sticking to lower reps with bigger weight should still see tone (sic) and from what I've seen, calories burnt too - but should be less likely to 'bulk up'.
    Doing 3x5 vs 3x10 or so I have in the past, I'd say I'm stronger than I have ever been, but don't think I'm quite as 'big' as I have been in the past - though my body fat is probably a bit below my lowest before too.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

Just my personal opinion, but I put livestrong articles only very slightly above "womens' magazine" articles.

Ok, then how about the University of Houston Health and Wellness Center?

http://www.uh.edu/fitness/comm_educators/3_somatotypesNEW.htm

Ectomorphs are long and lean, with little body fat, and little muscle. They have a hard time gaining weight. Fashion models and basketball players fit this category. While most of us love to hate these genetically-blessed individuals, some male ectomorphs may not be thrilled with their narrow-chested frames, and some female ectomorphs long for more womanly curves.

Endomorphs, on the other hand, have lots of body fat, lots of muscle, and gain weight easily. "Football lineman tend to be endomorphs -- they're heavier and rounder individuals," says Colby. "And they don't have to necessarily be overweight. Both Oprah Winfrey and Marilyn Monroe are classic examples of endomorphs."

Mesomorphs are athletic, solid, and strong. "They're not overweight and not underweight," says Colby, "and they can eat what they want without worrying too much about it." They both gain and lose weight without too much effort.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I always took them more as an easy way to categorise bodies, rather than a specific definition.

So, you could separate cars in to 'fast cars', 'family cars' and 'compact cars'.
    It wouldn't be too bad a grouping, based on a car's design - but it doesn't specify that a car in the 'fast cars' group might not also be quite small too; and maybe just has enough space for a family with a couple of small kids to still use it.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I always took them more as an easy way to categorise bodies, rather than a specific definition.

So, you could separate cars in to 'fast cars', 'family cars' and 'compact cars'.
    It wouldn't be too bad a grouping, based on a car's design - but it doesn't specify that a car in the 'fast cars' group might not also be quite small too; and maybe just has enough space for a family with a couple of small kids to still use it.

The point the first poster that mentioned being an endomorph was trying to make, is that particular body type, tends to gain muscle and fat very easily.
    Someone else had stated that theory had been debunked back in 1940. I was just posting some more current sites that still have the same info available. I haven't found any sites they say that the theory of different body types had been debunked.

This certainly would explain why some people, with this certain body type, would be able to gain muscle and fat weight, more easily than someone of a different body type, and perhaps they would need to eat at a lower calorie level to maintain or to lose weight.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Ok, then how about the University of Houston Health and Wellness Center?

http://www.uh.edu/fitness/comm_educators/3_somatotypesNEW.htm

Ectomorphs are long and lean, with little body fat, and little muscle. They have a hard time gaining weight. Fashion models and basketball players fit this category. While most of us love to hate these genetically-blessed individuals, some male ectomorphs may not be thrilled with their narrow-chested frames, and some female ectomorphs long for more womanly curves.

Endomorphs, on the other hand, have lots of body fat, lots of muscle, and gain weight easily. "Football lineman tend to be endomorphs -- they're heavier and rounder individuals," says Colby. "And they don't have to necessarily be overweight. Both Oprah Winfrey and Marilyn Monroe are classic examples of endomorphs."

Mesomorphs are athletic, solid, and strong. "They're not overweight and not underweight," says Colby, "and they can eat what they want without worrying too much about it." They both gain and lose weight without too much effort.

Gee, I used to be an Endomorph. Then I started eating less and working out more with a combo of cardio and heavy lifting. BAM, one morning I woke up a Mesomorph!! How the heck did that happen??? :laugh: