Protein Sources

Sarauk2sf
Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
There are many threads started by people that are asking how to get more protein in their diet. Below is a list of good sources, ranked by the amount of calories per gram of protein, and split between meat, vegetarian friendly and vegan friendly. The stats are for generic sources and are uncooked/unprepared. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list, just something that can be used for reference. Oh, and bacon has pretty terrible stats..but...it's bacon and had to be included!

The chart is an image as it is easier to format, but I have included the list below in case anyone wants to copy pasta.

bfb609df-ad30-4e88-8b2f-a34ab95f0d8b_zps4c0f3fd2.jpg

Calories per gram protein:

Veg*ns keep out
Tuna - canned (water/drained) 4.6
Cod - fresh 4.6
Chicken Breast (meat only) 4.8
Turkey - white meat 4.9
Pork chops - trimmed 5.1
Tilapia 5.1
Sea Bass - fresh 5.2
Shrimp 5.3
Halibut 5.3
Tuna - fresh 6.1
Beef lean (trimmed) 7.7
Salmon - fresh/farmed 10.3
Lamb - trimmed 10.5
Beef Jerky 11.7
Bacon - cured 42.7

Vegetarian friendly
Eggs - whites only 4.4
Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
Milk - skim 10.3
Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
Eggs - whole 11.0
Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
Seitan - generic 5.7
Mushrooms - raw 7.3
Spinach - raw 7.7
Nutitional Yeast 8.6
Tofu - firm 8.8
Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
Lentils - dry 13.6
Brussell Sprouts 14.3
Beans - kidney 14.7
Kale - raw 16.7
Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
Quinoa - dry 26.3

Replies

• Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Thank you Sara. I always struggle with protein.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    IN THE NAME OF BACON!

If you buy thick cut bacon the stats are better:

Serving size for 100 cals (g) - 45

Grams of protein per 100 cals - 7

Cals per gram of protein - 14.3

ETA: This is for Unsmoked bacon rashers in UK (dunno what you guys in US do to your bacon!)
  • This is an awesome topic Sara ! I have been going through the other topics in this group and its incredibly useful. Thanks for your contributions !!

Also...just wondering. Whats your opinion on the mercury levels in tuna and fish. I have a habit of sticking to the same diet so if I start eating a lot of fish I might need to watch out.

THANKS AGAIN !
  • Sarauk2sf
    This is an awesome topic Sara ! I have been going through the other topics in this group and its incredibly useful. Thanks for your contributions !!

Also...just wondering. Whats your opinion on the mercury levels in tuna and fish. I have a habit of sticking to the same diet so if I start eating a lot of fish I might need to watch out.

THANKS AGAIN !

To be honest, not eating fish myself, I have not done a huge amount of research on this. It would generally go back to the dosage and context discussion. I will need to do more homework on this to have an opinion on it.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Great info, thanks!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Wow, this is a great post! And I had my eyes opened on a few things, too.

Thanks! :flowerforyou: You rock.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    This is an awesome topic Sara ! I have been going through the other topics in this group and its incredibly useful. Thanks for your contributions !!

THANKS AGAIN !

You can find charts online that show the amount of Mercury in different types of fish. As for tuna, it depends on the kind you get, I found this online, and it separates different types of tuna: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

Also, I had no idea that Brussels sprouts had protein in them! I love them, I think I'm going to have to buy some more.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Thank you! I am not a vegetarian- but I am not a huge meat eater either...I have been struggling with getting anywhere close to 1gr per LBM..you can only eat so many tbs. of peanut butter ;)

Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Thank you! I am not a vegetarian- but I am not a huge meat eater either...I have been struggling with getting anywhere close to 1gr per LBM..you can only eat so many tbs. of peanut butter ;)

Thanks!
    Peanut butter is really quite a bad, albeit tasty, source of protein - it is really a source of fat.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    thanks (:
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    This is amazing Sara, Thank you so much for posting this list! It is really exhaustive, it must have taken you quite a good time to put it all together. It is BRILLIANT!! (should be made sticky somewhere, it is something that in one time or other everyone needs to have alook at)
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Thanks, I've been struggling to up my daily protein and this will be really helpful to look at every time I go for a snack!
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Thanks!
    [/quote]
    Peanut butter is really quite a bad, albeit tasty, source of protein - it is really a source of fat.
    [/quote]

Ah thats a bummer. I thought I was doing good with my 8 grams of protein in the morning. You posted a thread with a sample menu for getting the macros in- that was super helpful. Do you have any other sample macro menus you can post? Or do you know of any websites that have sample menus?

I have been doing well staying within my cals with healthy foods- but have had a difficult time developing meals that hit macros.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Wow. Thanks for this!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Thanks!

Ah thats a bummer. I thought I was doing good with my 8 grams of protein in the morning. You posted a thread with a sample menu for getting the macros in- that was super helpful. Do you have any other sample macro menus you can post? Or do you know of any websites that have sample menus?

I have been doing well staying within my cals with healthy foods- but have had a difficult time developing meals that hit macros.

I just pulled that one together specifically for the post itself. I find pre-logging really helps with hitting macros and leaving space for treats.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    This is a wonderful list. Thank you Sara.
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Thank you!
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    As always, Sara dropping some bomb knowledge! Thanks so much, I've added this to my grocery notes. :)))
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Thank you for this great list!
  • gregr072
    gregr072 Posts: 43 Member
    This is really helpful. Thank You!