Really! - how do you get a flat stomach?

124»

Replies

• adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Never. LOL. I don't know how some girls do it or if it's genetics or what. I have visible ab definition and it doesn't matter anytime I eat I can look pregnant. I can a little or a lot and it's the same affect. I can eat crappy food or healthy food and it's still the same...frustrating!
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    I have a flat stomach and dont ever do crunches or sit ups or any other stomach exercise. I do walk around all day with a my stomch tucked in though- i mean tight. somethig i always did since i was a kid- i think i'm just a nervous person which is the reason for that.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    A plastic surgeon will get er done quick, but lowering the ol BF and adding some muscle is another route.
  • I have no ab advice but... YUM! Ketchup chips and Nerds are my two favorites!

LOL you're awesome!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Cardio!!!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    My stomach is not 100% flat but it's getting there - diet alone has done most of this. Staying away from sodium and foods that bloat helps. Drinking lots of water helps.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Have someone run over it. Flat.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    You already have great abs! If you want them to be visible then you must reduce the amount of fat that is obscuring them. As others have said, you cannot get abs by spot-training. Good luck! Ask your Doctor before starting any diet!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    My Dr. who is insanely fit; told me that I have to go to bed hungry, and wake up really hungry. Eat more protein, less carbs (less fruit, more veggies), and finish eating by 6 p.m. . I'm having a tough time because I'm a night eater. Judging by him though, it works.

This is among the worst advice I've ever heard.
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Bump
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    After two abdominal surgeries and two babies, no flat stomach in my future. I've accepted it.......
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    I'm an apple shape so my stomach is the last to go.

It's about the body fat. I'm at 16% and it's still a small pooch, but gets leaner up near the ribs.

But having an hourglass is not likely. My body stays around a .80 waist - to - hip ratio no matter what my weight.

To get lean abs you have to drop fat through a caloric deficit. I also started doing weighted ab exercises at the gym. You may not get stereotypical six pack abs with a small waist, but you can probably get a nearly flat stomach under clothes no matter what your genetics.
  • erinhaig9
    erinhaig9 Posts: 6 Member
    It's a mix of things, but the biggest factor is nutrition. Eating clean will help you reach your goal, it is all about eating as naturally as possible and avoiding foods that are processed.

Check this out... http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/eating-clean-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Hope this helps!

Good luck.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    For me, no wine for a week.
  • grlygrl123
    grlygrl123 Posts: 55 Member
    I have no ab advice but... YUM! Ketchup chips and Nerds are my two favorites!

LOL you're awesome!

Hah! I am just a little naughty!
  • :)
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Pilates. Bar Method. Russian twists, leg lifts, sit ups, curl, and jack knives. Diet... repeat until flat.

But I don't think I had really flat abs til Bar Method. Best workout ever.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Yes. Eat less, lower your bf%, blah blah blah.

If your bf% is fairly low, like you say, it's probably more of a postural issue. Check to see if you have an anterior tilt to your hips. It will give you that pooch look in your lower stomach.

I read about this tonight on another site as well. They were talking about strengthening gluts and hip flexors to help (as in, a lot of squats/burpees), and other "core" exercises that strengthen the inner ab muscles (planks, and variations), not just the outer ones (as in crunches, and variations).

We've been doing the No Nonsense Challenge groups with a lot of these moves. I can see a difference, but it's going to take time and about 5-8 more pounds to lose.

No processed food or sugar. Hmmm. Well, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. But, I had LESS rice crispies today than last week, less "sweet" chocolate treats, and only had white rice...okay, WAY too many times. Good goal, there!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Oh, and Vitamin D3 helps too. Although that may be bro science...
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    This may be awarded the yogic bro-science trophy but, hey - I'm used to that.

The development of a flat stomach may also be helped by tonifying the abdominal muscles. Instead of crunching the abs, which causes the abdominal muscles to contract, try sucking your diaphragm right up under your rib cage with your knees slightly bent and your hands on your knees for leverage. Hold and slowly let go.

This will strengthen the abdominal girdle muscles in a different way to crunches and is helpful in pulling the stomach in even when the body is at rest.

Basically, pull your stomach in whenever you remember and it should become a new natural posture for you.

^ I've read this twice today reading other articles on the subject as well. They always say, "This is me, and I'm not sucking it in!" But, apparently, that is what we all NEED to do, like, all the time! LOL