The conspiracy to make (and keep us) fat...

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    NM i just looked free range dont get the antibiotics as the others one do to prevent the disease they get :/

"Free range" doesn't mean "no antibiotics used." Chicken sold as "organic" is not allowed to have ever been treated with antibiotics, but there is "free range" chicken that is not "organic" and may have been treated with antibiotics.

and free range can even mean they are free to wander in cramped quarters in a barn. doesn't actually mean they're pasture fed.

Let's go ahead and cover "cage free" too, which may be one of the most misleading marketing terms in the history of chickens. This literally means that the chickens are not in a cage, but tells you nothing about how much room the chicken has to move. A pen packed full of chickens with no room to turn around are technically "cage free". (I'm spoiled. The vast majority of the chickens and eggs I eat are from chickens that truly are able to and actually do roam around a pasture.)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Well you all keep believing that. I just finished two beers after downing half a bag of chips, 400 calories worth of Heath Bar Ice Cream, and am about to dig into some spicy chicken wings and fettuccine alfredo from the local pizza shop. I'd be happy to compare health stats any time.

I don't know, I used to be the same way, losing weight and running marathons and not worrying about quality of food so much as calories. I lost 60 lbs twice in this way, eating whatever, even McDonalds as long as it was "on plan". I also ran over 10 marathons (well 4 half, 4 full, and several 30Ks).

After about ten years of this lifestyle I became suddenly quite ill and thought for about 10 months I possibly had colon cancer it was so bad. I have learned the hard way that these kinds of things can indeed catch up to us and it has been a scary and humbling experience. I still have trouble sticking to eating clean but think it is well worth the effort.

How did you reach the conclusion that eating "clean" instead would have led to a different outcome? Or said another way, how did you determine that the specifics of your diet was the cause of your problems and not something else, for example, your weight (assuming you were overweight during that time)? Or perhaps a dietary deficiency that was the result of something you *were not* eating and not the result of something you *were* eating?

(Just curious. Not trying to make any baseless accusations with this. I'm just fascinated by the ability of the human mind sometimes to make associations and correlations with things that may or may not be associated or correlated.)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Well you all keep believing that. I just finished two beers after downing half a bag of chips, 400 calories worth of Heath Bar Ice Cream, and am about to dig into some spicy chicken wings and fettuccine alfredo from the local pizza shop. I'd be happy to compare health stats any time.

I don't know, I used to be the same way, losing weight and running marathons and not worrying about quality of food so much as calories. I lost 60 lbs twice in this way, eating whatever, even McDonalds as long as it was "on plan". I also ran over 10 marathons (well 4 half, 4 full, and several 30Ks).

After about ten years of this lifestyle I became suddenly quite ill and thought for about 10 months I possibly had colon cancer it was so bad. I have learned the hard way that these kinds of things can indeed catch up to us and it has been a scary and humbling experience. I still have trouble sticking to eating clean but think it is well worth the effort.

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc

The problem is that you can't state definitively that your illness wouldn't have happened anyway. Likewise, the other side of the debate cannot state definitively that it would have happened anyway. In short, correlation does not imply causation.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    My old mans niece had to go to the Dr about a month ago. She just turned 9. She is already getting boobs and is a bit chubby. Dr changed her diet and she has slimmed down. I saw somewhere about the hormones used in chickens now are affecting ppl who eat those chickens. They use these hormones to speed up chicken growth to sell them faster. Kids love chicken nuggets. NOM NOM NOM lol

It's illegal to use hormones in chickens.

So whatever you saw was BS.

Not necessarily...:smile:

"...The FDA has done a poor job informing the public of increased hormone and additives to chicken. In fact, there is very little media that explains the use hormones and additives specifically in poultry ("What Do," 2010), which is one of the highest consumed proteins in the United States. Just poultry alone has a labeling system that is incredibly difficult and hard to manipulate and understand. This labeling system, which has been approved by the FDA, allows for major variance in interpretation, and by the time it is complete, companies can find loopholes that allow for more additives and hormones. Since, theoretically, specific hormones are not allowed in meat and poultry production, the FDA mandates "the claim 'no hormones added' cannot be used on the labels of pork or poultry unless it is followed by a statement that says 'Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones'" ("What Do," 2010). It does not however, distinguish exactly what was used, how it was used, or how much was used...."

You can read the rest of the article here (which includes references). http://voices.yahoo.com/additives-hormones-our-food-growing-epidemic-10933986.html
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    ugh i hate this.

she ate like **** and her system went crazy after a long period of time

she started eating clean and it solved the issues

could there be other factors at play? sure. but it's just as asinine to assume that food had NO involvement.
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    That was all covered very well in movie: Hungry for Change

Awesome movie.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Just wanted to add to this discussion, there are certain hormones that ARE allowed to be used in food production by the FDA.

" In the 1980s, it became possible to produce large quantities of pure bGH by using recombinant DNA technology. In 1993, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the recombinant bovine growth hormone (rbGH), also known as bovine somatotropin (rbST) for use in dairy cattle. Recent estimates by the manufacturer of this hormone indicate that 30% of the cows in the United States (US) may be treated with rbGH. "

"There are six different kinds of steroid hormones that are currently approved by FDA for use in food production in the US: estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, zeranol, trenbolone acetate, and melengestrol acetate. Estradiol and progesterone are natural female sex hormones; testosterone is the natural male sex hormone; zeranol, trenbolone acetate and melengesterol acetate are synthetic growth promoters (hormone-like chemicals that can make animals grow faster). Currently, federal regulations allow these hormones to be used on growing cattle and sheep, but not on poultry (chickens, turkeys, ducks) or hogs (pigs). The above hormones are not as useful in increasing weight gain of poultry or hogs. " http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Factsheet/Diet/fs37.hormones.cfm

That is why I buy milk from cows not treated with the rbGH. I think its important that we become informed, educated consumers, that way, the more we know about the food we eat, the more demand will be placed on the food industry to do a better job with providing better quality products.
  • cidalia73
    ... we're not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from beans which are also very high in fiber, we are not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from greens such as spinach and broccoli

Wish I could eat lots of beans and broccoli, but it would kill me (IBS). lol

I would have to get more creative. That said, I don't eat a heck of a lot of meat. I do like my fish, though.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    My old mans niece had to go to the Dr about a month ago. She just turned 9. She is already getting boobs and is a bit chubby. Dr changed her diet and she has slimmed down. I saw somewhere about the hormones used in chickens now are affecting ppl who eat those chickens. They use these hormones to speed up chicken growth to sell them faster. Kids love chicken nuggets. NOM NOM NOM lol

Yes, hormones in meat are a real problem for children. Puerto Rican girls' average age for menarche is now down to less than 9 years. It is thought to be caused by the large amount of hormone-laced chicken that Puerto Ricans eat.

adults can choose to not buy chicken nuggets and other over processed food to feed their kids. My daughter is 11 yrs old 5'3 ish and under 100 lbs because I control what she eats.
  • stumblinthrulife
    ugh i hate this.

could there be other factors at play? sure. but it's just as asinine to assume that food had NO involvement.

She ate like you define to be s**t. Many people eat the same way (without eating to excess), with no ill health effects.

If she'd been eating what you define to be 'good' and then her system went crazy, you wouldn't make the same correlation.

You see the issue here?

For what it's worth, I'm not particularly on either side of this debate. You'd probably see my diet as 'pretty good', but I eat junk when I want it too. I just get irked when I see confirmation bias and logical fallacies.
  • cidalia73
    Just wanted to add to this discussion, there are certain hormones that ARE allowed to be used in food production by the FDA.

" In the 1980s, it became possible to produce large quantities of pure bGH by using recombinant DNA technology. In 1993, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the recombinant bovine growth hormone (rbGH), also known as bovine somatotropin (rbST) for use in dairy cattle. Recent estimates by the manufacturer of this hormone indicate that 30% of the cows in the United States (US) may be treated with rbGH. "

"There are six different kinds of steroid hormones that are currently approved by FDA for use in food production in the US: estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, zeranol, trenbolone acetate, and melengestrol acetate. Estradiol and progesterone are natural female sex hormones; testosterone is the natural male sex hormone; zeranol, trenbolone acetate and melengesterol acetate are synthetic growth promoters (hormone-like chemicals that can make animals grow faster). Currently, federal regulations allow these hormones to be used on growing cattle and sheep, but not on poultry (chickens, turkeys, ducks) or hogs (pigs). The above hormones are not as useful in increasing weight gain of poultry or hogs. " http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Factsheet/Diet/fs37.hormones.cfm

That is why I buy milk from cows not treated with the rbGH. I think its important that we become informed, educated consumers, that way, the more we know about the food we eat, the more demand will be placed on the food industry to do a better job with providing better quality products.

I just can't believe they are allowing this garbage into the food supply. For those who don't know the company responsible for inventing all these lovely bovine hormones and convincing the government to allow it -- not to mention genetically modified foods, etc., just Google "Monsanto"
  • CoachReddy
    ugh i hate this.

She ate like you define to be s**t. Many people eat the same way, with no ill health effects.

If she'd been eating what you define to be 'good' and then her system went crazy, you wouldn't make the same correlation.

You see the issue here?

For what it's worth, I'm not particularly on either side of this debate. You'd probably see my diet as 'pretty good', but I eat junk when I want it too. I just get irked when I see confirmation bias and logical fallacies.

well besides heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, IBS, Crohns, Arthritis, etc, etc, etc....
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member

Yes, hormones in meat are a real problem for children. Puerto Rican girls' average age for menarche is now down to less than 9 years. It is thought to be caused by the large amount of hormone-laced chicken that Puerto Ricans eat.

adults can choose to not buy chicken nuggets and other over processed food to feed their kids. My daughter is 11 yrs old 5'3 ish and under 100 lbs because I control what she eats.

Thats not the point I could counter with the fact my son is 12 and for the better part of his life wouldnt eat anything but chicken nuggets and french fries. I finally have him eating the good stuff and not buying the other stuff so much as he grew out of that long long phase. I grew up eating chicken nuggets and chicken patties(alot of over processed foods etc) and I was thin also but I was very athletic. My old mans niece is a common 2k kid and doesnt do any sports or activities to counter her consumption. I buy half crap and half healthy for my kids because they burn through so many calories through the day. Problem was I ate the same things they ate but I did not burn the calories they are burning and with age my metabolism cant take that kind of fueling without exercise.
  • stumblinthrulife
    ugh i hate this.

She ate like you define to be s**t. Many people eat the same way, with no ill health effects.

You see the issue here?

well besides heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, IBS, Crohns, Arthritis, etc, etc, etc....

You can say that all you want. Saying it doesn't make it true for every single person. All those things are linked to obesity, not necessarily a particular type of food.

Eating too much fast food (or any food) makes you obese.

Obesity causes health issues.

It does not follow that eating fast food in any quantity leads to health issues.

The most you can conclude is that eating too much food leads to health issues.

It would be interesting to see a long term study following a large representative sample of people eating a long term, macro-balanced, calorie controlled diet of fast food. I'd very much like to see that compared to the health stats of a similar group eating a macro-balanced, calorie controlled diet of 'clean' food.

Again, I'm not trying to swing this argument either way. I'm just pointing out that there is not direct evidence that fast food, in and of itself, is the demon it's made out to be. For now, at least, it's just caught up in the fallout of the fact that people in the western world eat too darn much.
  • CoachReddy
    ugh i hate this.

You see the issue here?

You can say that all you want. Saying it doesn't make it true for every single person. All those things are linked to obesity, not necessarily a particular type of food.

Eating too much fast food (or any food) makes you obese.

Obesity causes health issues.

It does not follow that eating fast food in any quantity leads to health issues.

The most you can conclude is that eating too much food leads to health issues.

It would be interesting to see a long term study following a large representative sample of people eating a long term, macro-balanced, calorie controlled diet of fast food. I'd very much like to see that compared to the health stats of a similar group eating a macro-balanced, calorie controlled diet of 'clean' food.

Again, I'm not trying to swing this argument either way. I'm just pointing out that there is not direct evidence that fast food, in and of itself, is the demon it's made out to be. For now, at least, it's just caught up in the fallout of the fact that people in the western world eat too darn much.

they're linked to processed meats and other questionable ingredients in all sorts of foods whether you're obese or not.
  • CoachReddy
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63/abstract

study of half a million people. the conclusion?
    After correction for measurement error, higher all-cause mortality remained significant only for processed meat (HR = 1.18, 95% CI 1.11 to 1.25, per 50 g/d). We estimated that 3.3% (95% CI 1.5% to 5.0%) of deaths could be prevented if all participants had a processed meat consumption of less than 20 g/day.

fast food is processed meat.
  • stumblinthrulife
    they're linked to processed meats and other questionable ingredients in all sorts of foods whether you're obese or not.

I presume then that the study I mentioned has been performed. I would be fascinated to read it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member

I just can't believe they are allowing this garbage into the food supply. For those who don't know the company responsible for inventing all these lovely bovine hormones and convincing the government to allow it -- not to mention genetically modified foods, etc., just Google "Monsanto"

And Obama just signed the outrageous "Monsanto Protection Act" into law. It is a law that specifically protects Monsanto from lawsuits brought by those harmed by their GMO crops. It is a total travesty of justice. Read about it and weep: http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-bill-blunt-agriculture-006/
  • CoachReddy

I presume then that the study I mentioned has been performed. I would be fascinated to read it.

ruh roh.

(please see my previous post citing a study that does just that)
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    I posted about monsanto the other day and no one responded lol I guess ppl arent aware of what may or may not be going on so here it is again

http://gmo-awareness.com/2011/05/12/monsanto-dirty-dozen/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFgNq0Ve-28&feature=youtu.be