Too big to exercise?

12346»

Replies

• cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Just start slowly....it will take time to get your body used to moving. If you jump right in with all these hard routines, you will fail because it is just too hard. Any movement is good. Walk in place....move your arms....simple stretches....eventually you will be able to go longer and do more physical activity.
  • ytweety5
    ytweety5 Posts: 16 Member
    I would say start walking. I started this site weighing in at 265 and am now down to 250. I have also lost inches and I can feel it in my clothes and am now wearing a smaller size. I started walking and logging food calories on a daily basis. I fell off a bit last year but am now back on track. So, I would say start with walking as I really don't think you can go wrong with that.
  • No, you are never too big. I started exercising at 380lb. I took up running (and ran a 5K at 330lb), spin classes, group classes at my gym, the stairmaster, swimming...you are never too big. The mental aspect and lack of confidence may make you feel like you can't do it, but YOU CAN.

Just get up and go.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Walking is a great start. If it hurts your joints, you could also try a stationary bike, or water exercise in a pool. Even walking through water up to your neck is work, yet very gentle to your joints. Walking is the least expensive option, though I would suggest getting some good shoes for it.

Good for you for wanting to take care of your health, now!
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Like everyone else is saying... just start with walking or use the elipitcal. Everyone starts somewhere. Good for you for realizing you needed to make a healthy change! Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    WALKING WALKING and WALKING add in a swim if you want tho !!! :bigsmile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Not sure if anyone's said it, but make sure you check with your doctor first to see what you are physically capable of and what is safe for you to do.

Other than that, I agree with walking and starting gradually. Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

Best of luck.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Start off by dieting and walking! After a month or so you'll have lost enough weight to start jogging and doing strength training. Aim for half a mile every day and increase speed and distance as you begin to feel comfortable.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    You can do anything you want to do. I was 218 pounds swimming/running/lifting.

Hurt myself - well kind of an old injury that reared its ugly head and took me away from lifting.

Now I weight 211ish... finished insanity 2 weeks ago (I went from no exercise to doing Insanity) . It is honestly about attitude, can your body handle it? Well you wont know unless you try, you don't have to do something a million times - if you can only do it 3 times with correct form than next time try for 4. Some exercises require modification, but do the modified until your strong enough to not do it.

Or you could change your diet and just walk, and then add. I honestly believe you are never too big to exercise, you may be too big to do something but there is always modification or finding something else that works until you can do it.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    biggest loser dvds are good, 30 day shred, etc. just modify to the best of your ability. movement is the key. as time moves on, you'll adapt. also, i bought myself some good wrist braces for the push ups, etc. they are good for starting out and giving those weak joints a little support. as you progress, stop using them as you don't want them to become a crutch, but at first, those extras help.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    This is a great thread and can be summed up in two words:

Just start
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    there's a biggest loser workout video you can buy at the store and the people in the video doing it are over 200 pounds themselves it may be hard but just push through it you can do it!!!!
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    I'm 5'2 and I started out at 250 and I have bad knees so I was discourage to start working out. I started with Zumba I was uncoordinated and awkward but it was fun and burned a lot of calories. Try something that’s fun and doesn't make you think about exercising.
    Now im 209 2 months later and i'm having fun loosing weight.
  • ereach4731
    ereach4731 Posts: 41 Member
    I have 100+ to lose, so I definitely know how you feel about not being able to do an exercise the way a thin, fit person can. But don't even try to! You will drive yourself crazy, maybe start to feel bad, and can hurt yourself. Just do what you can. Start by walking, using the elliptical, or if you have access, a pool. In time, you will be able to challenge yourself and try more and different things. I do suggest some light weights and strength training, too. You don't need to join a gym if it's not i the budget. You can buy some 5 lb weights even at Walmart to get your started.

I am 5'5", 271.8 lbs, and just started Yoga and Spinning. I still can only do a few push-ups. But I'm working on it. If you take it somewhat slowly, and build upon each workout, you will get to a level where you are comfortable doing anything and will want to challenge yourself. Just remember....

The more you do, the more you can do.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    I'm 5'2 and I started out at 250 and I have bad knees so I was discourage to start working out. I started with Zumba I was uncoordinated and awkward but it was fun and burned a lot of calories. Try something that’s fun and doesn't make you think about exercising.
    Now im 209 2 months later and i'm having fun loosing weight.

This!!

I let go of my gym membership a long time ago and I do not want another one.
    I can do plenty at home and outside for free.

But being winter I was limited to indoors. Also, I was very out of shape. I started with what I could handle and worked up.

I have always hated exercise and could never stick with a program before.

I started with my Wii system. I have several Just Dance games and I bought Zumba also. After starting MFP, I played those games several times a week to get some activity in. I walked as much as possible. It’s cold out, so we go to the mall and do laps there. Sometimes in the evenings and almost always on weekends, before it opens.

Then I saw the infomercial for Rockin’ Body (by Beachbody) and being that it was only $20, I decided to try it. I completed all 4 weeks of it, and then started Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred (I’m on level one, today will be day 8, 2 more days and I go up to level 2). I still do the Rockin’ Body workouts along with the JM30 and I’m looking for MORE programs! I’m determined to complete the JM and move on to Turbo Fire.

Never would I have thought that I could or would stick to a program or a routine this way. But now that I am IN, it’s gotten easier to endure longer and tougher workouts, and not only that, it’s even hard for me to do a rest day – I *WANT* to be up and moving!!

For now, do what you CAN. If you feel it’s too tough to do one activity – find or adapt another to your own comfort level. As long as you start somewhere, you will get up there to a level where you can do more or different things. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself. I used to say “I can’t”, and “that’s too hard” – and that got me NOWHERE. Finally I started saying “I can’t… YET… but I will!!”

I don’t care if I have to modify a move, or if I can’t use bigger handweights yet… I’m doing what I CAN do and I will get there, the point is at least I am doing SOMETHING.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Seconded on the Leslie dvds. You can preview a lot of them on youtube or on collagevideo.com to see the various intensity. Most are pretty easy, though there are a few with bits of jogging involved. There is one that says something like start in the title that is a bit slower. I'm 5'5' 260 and have had no problem with any of the ones I bought yet. For strength training I got the Petra Kolber strength training for beginners and so far I am liking it. Don't be hard on yourself if you don't get everything right away or have to modify either.

Someone recommended biggest looser. There is one of the BL I tried that isn't bad, that's the Power Walk one. There are bits of jogging or sprinting or jacks, but they are short and have someone doing an easier non jumping version and nothing involves floor work or things where fat would get in the way. In general though I wouldn't recommend most of them for just starting out though. I did some rather obsessive previewing on youtube and collage. Most look fairly hard for bigger people . There *are* bigger people on the videos, but my guess is they've been working out on BL for a while and aren't really beginners despite the weight. It also seems BL generally has the attitude that you should keep pushing yourself even if it really hurts. That sort of attitude is what I experienced in gym class way way back, that turned me off exercise entirely for far too long. Sore is fine, but if I screw up my knees doing jacks and can't walk..well that's not helping anything.

I would highly recommend to start with Leslie Sansone Walk At Home dvds. They are absolutely wonderful for those who are larger and just starting out. They are not intense with the moves, and it is not hard to do at all. Leslie is very good at motivating and reminding you that if the miles are getting to intense to just "go back to walking". :)

I have done these dvds to lose my first 40lbs (I started at 250lbs). I am going to be starting turbo jam here soon to step it up a bit, but yeah - Leslie Sansone...very good place to start! (You could probably find some of the miles on youtube) and the dvds are really cheap. They are usually sold at Walmart for like 10 bucks a dvd.

Good luck!
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    biggest loser dvds are good, 30 day shred, etc. just modify to the best of your ability. movement is the key. as time moves on, you'll adapt. also, i bought myself some good wrist braces for the push ups, etc. they are good for starting out and giving those weak joints a little support. as you progress, stop using them as you don't want them to become a crutch, but at first, those extras help.

Oh what kind of wrist braces did you get? I think I need these. I've been trying to do pushups and even the knee ones the wrists hurts a bit. I type all day for work and don't want to bung them up.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Here is a post I wrote about lifting while heavy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824518-fat-girl-dead-lifting?hl=Fat+girl+deadlift

And squatting:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/924179-fat-girl-squatting

I started at 276lbs (125kg).

In the photos in the squat thread 220lbs/100kg.

^^^^ this is what I came here to say, Deevaa is wonderful.

I started lifting at around the same weight she did, there were some adaptations I had to make. I also started running at that weight. I'm still heavier than you are, and close to your height.

Here is what I can tell you:
    Compression pants can help you control the jiggle
    Get the best sports bra you can afford
    Same with shoes, get the best ones you can

Understand that at first it's going to feel uncomfortable and take some getting used to. You really just have to push through it, it will get easier and more comfortable. Sometimes the mentality of "find something you love to do" works, sometimes it doesn't. The thing is, I hated running when I started, I hated hiking up hill, I detested lifting. Those are now my 3 favorite activities. Sometimes you have to make it through the hard part to get to the good stuff.