P90X, recovery drink ideas

2»

Replies

• scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    The problems with chocolate milk and muscle milk after a workout is that they are a slow absorbing protein...i.e. your muscles have already catabolized before the protein is absorbed.

i didn't realize that. thanks, that is very helpful. your other post was very helpful also.

i think i'm going to look into doing something like you did. the protein powder i use now is whey, so i'll just need to check the ingredients and do some shopping perhaps.

you got yours from somewhere like the vitamin shoppe or something?

I order the maltodextrin and dextrose online as I've yet to find them in a store...though admittedly I haven't looked all that hard. The whey protein you can get just about anywhere though the price, taste, and quality varies so greatly that it can get very confusing. The best combination of taste, quality and price I've found is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Vanilla Ice Cream. Its around $20 for a months supply. Pure Protein can be found at Target for $17 and while it is of a lesser quality (small amounts of sucralose and whey protein concentrate), the frosty chocolate is about as good as it gets and it will still serve all of your postworkout protein needs.
  • amberrosejr
    amberrosejr Posts: 17 Member
    The problems with chocolate milk and muscle milk after a workout is that they are a slow absorbing protein...i.e. your muscles have already catabolized before the protein is absorbed.

i didn't realize that. thanks, that is very helpful. your other post was very helpful also.

i think i'm going to look into doing something like you did. the protein powder i use now is whey, so i'll just need to check the ingredients and do some shopping perhaps.

you got yours from somewhere like the vitamin shoppe or something?

I order the maltodextrin and dextrose online as I've yet to find them in a store...though admittedly I haven't looked all that hard. The whey protein you can get just about anywhere though the price, taste, and quality varies so greatly that it can get very confusing. The best combination of taste, quality and price I've found is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Vanilla Ice Cream. Its around $20 for a months supply. Pure Protein can be found at Target for $17 and while it is of a lesser quality (small amounts of sucralose and whey protein concentrate), the frosty chocolate is about as good as it gets and it will still serve all of your postworkout protein needs.

thats funny, i use the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural Vanilla for the Whey.. tastes pretty good (considering)
This discussion has been closed.