restaurant and calorie counting

2»

Replies

• twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    try to do what crimsoncat said and use other restaurant entries to base a guess off of. Or if it's a restaurant like I was at today, I can enter the components individually (5oz white meat chicken, grilled; 1.5 cups brown rice, 3oz teriyaki sauce in today's instance).

I try to order things that I can specifically enter components for. Example - the two times this year that I've gone to a Mexican Restaurant I have ordered steak tacos so that I can get as close as possible by entering each item.

I don't just guestimate based on aother restaurant or by what MFP entries there are. I used to, way back when I first joined. That was SO counterproductive. Oh, ok I'm having a Reuben Sandwich... lets seee what MFP says, oh here it is 1 Reuben... ok done.

WRONG. You have no idea what that entry is, what subs might have been made in, how much cheese was used, how much meat... maybe that was a small homemade sandwich using low fat or light ingredients while the one I have is double the calories, yet I'm using the calories in the app. it's no wonder I didn't lose even one pound.

I don't recommend logging that way AT ALL, but I know a lot of people do it. I just choose not to.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Most every website i visit for a restaurant has a nutrional guide.
    you should check next time before eating out.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    try to do what crimsoncat said and use other restaurant entries to base a guess off of. Or if it's a restaurant like I was at today, I can enter the components individually (5oz white meat chicken, grilled; 1.5 cups brown rice, 3oz teriyaki sauce in today's instance).

I try to order things that I can specifically enter components for. Example - the two times this year that I've gone to a Mexican Restaurant I have ordered steak tacos so that I can get as close as possible by entering each item.

I don't just guestimate based on aother restaurant or by what MFP entries there are. I used to, way back when I first joined. That was SO counterproductive. Oh, ok I'm having a Reuben Sandwich... lets seee what MFP says, oh here it is 1 Reuben... ok done.

WRONG. You have no idea what that entry is, what subs might have been made in, how much cheese was used, how much meat... maybe that was a small homemade sandwich using low fat or light ingredients while the one I have is double the calories, yet I'm using the calories in the app. it's no wonder I didn't lose even one pound.

I don't recommend logging that way AT ALL, but I know a lot of people do it. I just choose not to.

Unless you're eating out EVERY meal, it's seriously not a big deal. For most people who might eat out once a week, once a month, whatever... this is the easiest way and not going to be THAT far off. One day a week or a month of over/underestimating your calories slightly is not going to kill your weight loss progress. And seriously, what do you do, bring a scale and pick the entire meal apart so you can weigh each component?? You're never going to be able to get it that accurate anyway.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Most every website i visit for a restaurant has a nutrional guide.
    you should check next time before eating out.

Chains do, but locally owned places don't. Since I don't really go to chains, I have really limited my eating out due to this issue. When i do, I do what many others have said - find a comparable meal at a place that has NI listed. This usually takes a lot of googling to figure out who has a similar dish, portion size, etc.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Just eat wise in a restaurant.
    You know what's the best food.
    And you don't have to eat it all.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Just eat wise in a restaurant.
    You know what's the best food.
    And you don't have to eat it all.

This is very good advice! :)