Grocery Store Snob??

Replies

• LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?

My son is super picky... he has missed a few dinners in his short lifetime but he's never missed a healthy breakfast and his lunch box is usually empty. Most of the time he will eat dinners I prepare and if not, no sweat. Be hungry for tonight. He will be starved for nutrients for the rest of his life if I feed him what he wants to eat, better he go without for the day instead.

What? Please tell me this is a sarcastic comment.

No it isn't . If my son misses a meal I don't sweat it. He will eat at the next meal. Missing a meal isn't a big deal.

My son has sat at the table for 2.5 hours before while we reheated the same green beans.

I had to eat the peas cold.

However, my understanding of the literature is that it is indeed best to let them go without until they are hungry enough to decide to eat what you are offering. There are obvious exceptions to this, such as failure to thrive children, but it tends to be the recommended strategy these days and it pretty much coincides with the general habits of the naturally thin adults.

I didn't know it was current thinking but common sense would have me do the same thing.....unless it's a safety or real health issue I think it's best to teach children early to trust themselves and their desires and intuition. If a child does not want to eat, why force them? It makes no sense and just seems like an adult power ploy to me. (Unless at the previous commenter said, there is a medical reason and the child is not thriving of course, in which case I would think they are taking doctor/nutritionist/psychologist advice)....it's just like those parents that get in a drag-out argument with kids that try to exhibit their preferences with clothes and won't let them go out in a Halloween costume in July or wear a hat to bed, just let them be who they are. And not eat if they are not hungry or fussy. They will not be harmed by skipping a meal and if you are nonchalant about it, they will come to be intuitive eaters like we are meant to be. And might ask you for food or a snack a few hours later.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    I am super oblivious to other people, so no...I don't notice healthy carts or junk food carts. I'm in my own little world.

Same. I have zero interest what anyone else does with their lives/ time/ money/ etc. The only time I notice anyone's cart is when they've parked it in the middle of the aisle while they block one side browsing the shelf and their 37 unruly children block the other side and I can't get through. :explode:

Oh yes, haha. And when they snap out of it, even then they usually don't see anything wrong with it. They may be addicted to mindlessness. Maybe it's a hormonal thing. It's like those driving in the passing lane of a freeway and unaware of it. Traffic must be piling up fify times a day making them pull over, and nothing, absolutely nothing, is learned from it. We are dealing with deep forces beyond our reach. Maybe they feel the same way.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Nope. I'm either spaced out in line or busy putting stuff on the conveyor belt. Never notice anyone around me. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO DAT!
  • I honestly didn't think people did this until a few years ago. It was before I lost any weight and had not one healthy item in my cart. I did get a bit self-conscious after and even now... I still do. I don't judge or really look at what anyone else bought. At restaurants, I really don't pay attention and I don't care if someone judges me. They don't know me and if they're judging, they can go right on ahead because I'm thinking about the cheat meal I'm about to ingest.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Yes! I get very smug inside my own little head about my veggies! I hardly ever bought any before, so I am proud of myself, although there are some unhealthy choices that I still have (Raisin Nut Bran cereal). I love how fresh my cart looks compared to others. Sometimes I take a picture of my items. :)
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Nope.

I USED to be that person who only bought, ate, & relied on processed junk in the past.

Now i live alone & buy groceries at my local farmer & health food markets.

As long as the food in MY bag or cart is certified organic & non-GMO, that's my only concern.

Though, i still purchase a box of family size White Cheddar Cheez-its once a month (freakin :heart: that *kitten*!) :laugh:

All in all:

MY choices.

MY money.

MY mouth.

MY health.

• WildBillR
    WildBillR Posts: 77 Member
    OMG - You guys are total SNOBS! There isn't anything wrong with Chex cereal, or ice cream or cookies. Just make sure that you don't eat the entire box, container, package in one sitting. Sure, my cart has two bags of fruits and vegetables, but I buy the other stuff (and consume it) too. I even buy pop tarts - and yeah, my daughter eats more of them than I do - but I still eat them. What has changed is that now I eat one with an egg and a glass of milk, instead of two with both milk and cranberry juice (high in sugar). That's about 250 calorie difference, which is close to calorie deficit needed to lose half pound a week.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    I've been in retail for many many years, a good amount of that time spent running registers, or helping cashiers resolve problems.
    I have never even once seen someone judged because of all their " healthy" food. You scan stuff long enough it's all a blur. I can promise you the cashiers do not care what you are buying.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    I do notice what other people are buying and realize by looking at them that I used to be that person. People do comment often about the amount of fresh fruit I buy.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Guilty! But then I remember that I used to buy that same things, and I feel bad for being so judgmental.
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    What's a grocery coupon?
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    I won't call myself a snob, but I'm just more shocked that my cart used to look like that. I'm more aware of the calorie content of everything. I look at what other people eat, and all I see is numbers (calorie amount) instead of food. I definitely try to remind myself that I was once in that position. I wasn't aware of what I was eating. I would buy what I liked instead of worrying about nutrition. I also slightly become proud of myself for how far I've come. I don't view it as a bad thing really. I view it as a fact that we have made a lifestyle change. It is showing us that we think and view food differently. As long as you are not giving them "dirty looks" or making snide comments, I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

THIS!
  • grandmama1945
    grandmama1945 Posts: 12 Member
    I do that all the time. I'm either saying "no wonder she is obese, or how does she eat all that junk and still be skinny" I guess you can call me the snob. LOL. Just because they are skinny doesn't mean they're healthy though. I too have had the cashier comment on my food choices. One said "I would love to eat like that but I can't afford it". I'd rather pay the grocery store than the Dr.
    :wink:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    It rarely happens, but I'd be spewing bull to claim it never does. If you barely fit on one of the store's motorized carts and ask me to grab you some two liters of full sugar Mountain Dew, I'll probably start believing that I'm too heavy to shelf climb, never mind that I did it about two aisles back. There are things I won't be the enabler of.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    the only thing I look at concerning their cart is how much they are buying so I can decide if I need to find a shorter line or not.
    This! I will admit to being mystified (and maybe judging) when some girl bought like 15 drink things from Whole Foods and her bill was 150! I was just amazed at the cost and that you would that much on no food at all. But that wasn't a health related judgement mostly sticker shock on her behlaf.

Sometimes I look at what people buy if I'm just waiting in line but it's just boredom.
  • MrsDanner78
    MrsDanner78 Posts: 107
    I don't really feel smug or superior of my choices or judge others' carts... my cart is usually a mish mash of stuff anyway - healthy and junk. My husband loves his Oreos and Lucky Charms, so they ride in the cart next to my fruits & veggies and turkey burgers.

I do know, though, that before I was on a healthier path, I was very VERY self-conscious of all of the junk in my cart, thinking that others would judge the fat girl buying junk food and pizza... turns out I was right! But I didn't have another plan, nor know how to change my ways at the time... so maybe a little bit of empathy, rather than judgement would go a long way...
  • I have become more interested in what others are buying for sure! Except, I really just peak around slim people's carts :tongue:
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Nope! I actually haven't done that. But it's nice to see you care. There was actually a segment on WWYD with John Quinones (sp?) where a mother was buying her daughter unhealthy things, and a 'health freak' intervened and started talking trash to her, and being very rude. People DID intervene and stated that the health freak should back off, because it was HER money and she can spend it how she wants.

This is true. I wouldn't have personally intervened. We're in America (well oops not all of us), and we can do what we want. That's why it's a democracy. What's more important in my opinion is how we inform and teach children in schools about nutrition and fitness. Sure the home may not be conducive to healthy eating, but the children can share this newfound knowledge with their parents and try to help them become a healthier family.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Too busy restraining a toddler to notice but now I'm paranoid about everything. In the last hour I've been on this forum getting annoyed by comments made by posters about other people's diets, restaurant orders and shopping carts. As I'm new here I just need to know - is smugness directly proportional to pounds lost? Grr

Unfortunately...yes for some people. I'm actually glad I came back in here and read some more comments because all the "everybody does" comments were crazy to me. Since you're new I want you to know that it doesn't have to be that way. Some people here have lost weight and NOT developed a superiority complex. As this thread developed there were a lot more people saying they don't do this stuff with other people's cart so I think its pretty even. Good luck on your journey!

Thank you both for restoring my faith in humanity.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    OMG - You guys are total SNOBS! There isn't anything wrong with Chex cereal, or ice cream or cookies. Just make sure that you don't eat the entire box, container, package in one sitting. Sure, my cart has two bags of fruits and vegetables, but I buy the other stuff (and consume it) too. I even buy pop tarts - and yeah, my daughter eats more of them than I do - but I still eat them. What has changed is that now I eat one with an egg and a glass of milk, instead of two with both milk and cranberry juice (high in sugar). That's about 250 calorie difference, which is close to calorie deficit needed to lose half pound a week.

Ftw