Grocery Store Snob??

1192021222325»

Replies

• maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    edited November 2018

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?

My son is super picky... he has missed a few dinners in his short lifetime but he's never missed a healthy breakfast and his lunch box is usually empty. Most of the time he will eat dinners I prepare and if not, no sweat. Be hungry for tonight. He will be starved for nutrients for the rest of his life if I feed him what he wants to eat, better he go without for the day instead.

What? Please tell me this is a sarcastic comment.

No it isn't . If my son misses a meal I don't sweat it. He will eat at the next meal. Missing a meal isn't a big deal.

My son has sat at the table for 2.5 hours before while we reheated the same green beans.

I would caution the use of this as it has been proven to backfire. Lots of studies in the subject and my 15 year old son who was raised to eat anything spent a summer with my mother and sat at the table with some sort of chicken casserole for two hours in a battle of wills, this was 10 years ago, he still won’t touch any good that is mixed. We can ruin them with both hands, one too heavy and one too light.

I didn’t realize how old the thread was when I responded but I hope this ladies two young kids are still eating well 5 years later despite the food “fights”. And I stand by my statement :). Also omg people are some judge *kitten*!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I used to live right next door to a grocery store so I'd just do a daily shop, picking up what I needed that day. Checked out with yogurt, jelly beans, an onion, eggs and peanut butter. While making small talk with the cashier, I mentioned I was just picking up some things for dinner. I don't think he realized I had the other stuff at home! hah
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I used to live right next door to a grocery store so I'd just do a daily shop, picking up what I needed that day. Checked out with yogurt, jelly beans, an onion, eggs and peanut butter. While making small talk with the cashier, I mentioned I was just picking up some things for dinner. I don't think he realized I had the other stuff at home! hah

Yum! Onion and eggs in a peanut butter with yogurt sauce sprinkled with jelly beans. My favorite!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »

Yum! Onion and eggs in a peanut butter with yogurt sauce sprinkled with jelly beans. My favorite!

LOL!

Sounds like a Buddy The Elf concoction.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    I don't see an issue with bumping up zombie threads that at least serve a great purpose & could still be relevant.

Thank you! I was just hiding in the corner over here for being the moron who thought this thread was entertaining and bumped it. :(:D

Well it has been entertaining so that's good. :)

I guess the problem with resurrected threads is sometimes people don't realise and answer things like What should I do about pot luck dinner on the weekend?? Without realising said dinner happened 5 years ago. ;)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    James_1954 wrote: »
    ... Costco really is the premium spot for weird carts. Once I saw three different people with 4+ massive bottles of fish oil in their carts. It was on sale but it wasn't THAT good of a sale.

Yes, but you know, sometimes you need a lot of fish oil. There's nothing more annoying than a squeaky fish.

People cutting on an RFL protocol go through 10 fish oil caps a day. ;)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    dym123 wrote: »
    Yep, that's me. What's really hard is to bite my tongue when other people feel the need to comment on my healthy choices while their cart is filled with junk. This has happened to me a few times.

People do that?? Literally never had that happen, but I'm a pretty focused shopper so maybe I just never noticed.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I have been on forums where threads which are not posted in for, say, 12 months,get archived.

You can still read archived threads but they are locked from any further posts, aka zombie resurection.

If a thread runs continuously for years ( or even sporadically but posted in at least once every 12 months) , it stays open.

That seems good system to me.

They used to bug me, but I think it's entertaining to see some of these old threads. How science and understanding has evolved, as well as how the advice has changed over the years. When I first got here "Eat more to lose more" was big.

The way the thread is bumped makes a difference, I think. If someone bumps a thread like this with the intention "I know it's an old thread but I think the discussion is interesting" I'm on board. Bumping a three year old thread to post in capital letters "OP ASPERTAME WILL KILL YOU!!" just makes my eyes roll out of my head.

Yes, my eyes will roll in that case, but then I'm also amused that someone is so angry and agenda driven that they are searching out these things to rail against the evils of *enter your chosen evil here*. Whether that's aspartame, sugar, fat, keto, running, microwaves, phentermine, Easter eggs, Peeps or any other chosen cause that they are fighting for.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    The only time I think about what other people buy is when there's really odd combos/quantities of stuff. Like at Costco when I saw a young smiley couple checking out with one of those giant flat cart things filled with at least a dozen gallons of Clorox bleach, and several cases of water and gatorade. The only thing I could imagine all that being used for is summertime murder.

That made me laugh! On my last trip to Costco the cart included 55 lbs of dog food, 6 bags of coffee, 4 jars of peanut butter and probiotics. Cashier told me my dog probably wouldn't need probiotics if I didn't feed her so much coffee and peanut butter! :D

My Dad sent me to Costco to buy all the alcohol for a massive party we were hosting. Grandma said "get me one of those chickens!" as I went out the door.

So I had a flatbed cart with cases upon cases of beer and liquor...and ONE rotisserie chicken on top. Many people commented that they wanted to come to my party.

I think the only time I outright comment on what people are buying out loud is when someone's buy cake or donuts or something that looks yummy and I'm all, "I'm following that one home." :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I have been on forums where threads which are not posted in for, say, 12 months,get archived.

You can still read archived threads but they are locked from any further posts, aka zombie resurection.

If a thread runs continuously for years ( or even sporadically but posted in at least once every 12 months) , it stays open.

That seems good system to me.

They used to bug me, but I think it's entertaining to see some of these old threads. How science and understanding has evolved, as well as how the advice has changed over the years. When I first got here "Eat more to lose more" was big.

The way the thread is bumped makes a difference, I think. If someone bumps a thread like this with the intention "I know it's an old thread but I think the discussion is interesting" I'm on board. Bumping a three year old thread to post in capital letters "OP ASPERTAME WILL KILL YOU!!" just makes my eyes roll out of my head.

Yes, like this case. And the topic and discussion is still relevant today :)

But when they do it directly answering an OP question when such would be long past and the OP either would know the answer or has long gone ( eg I want to lose weight to fit into my wedding dress next weekend) and post is 5 years old and new poster gives advice :s:*:#

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member

My Dad sent me to Costco to buy all the alcohol for a massive party we were hosting. Grandma said "get me one of those chickens!" as I went out the door.

So I had a flatbed cart with cases upon cases of beer and liquor...and ONE rotisserie chicken on top. Many people commented that they wanted to come to my party.

Hey, that chicken needed a LOT of marinade... :D
    The only time I think about what other people buy is when there's really odd combos/quantities of stuff. Like at Costco when I saw a young smiley couple checking out with one of those giant flat cart things filled with at least a dozen gallons of Clorox bleach, and several cases of water and gatorade. The only thing I could imagine all that being used for is summertime murder.

My husband asked if that was Jim Jones...
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Never look in other people’s carts.. seems rude... I did giggle at one of the initial posts when someone said they’d love to tell someone not to buy certain things and buy others... I immediately pictured them getting a watermelon attitude adjustment