Daily Check In Thread

Replies

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Week 3 Day 3 done! (Oh no! I'm scared!!! :# )

You got this!
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    smiles4jo wrote: »
    I'm so proud! I finished C25K today! And in my fastest time yet (13:30/mi)! I know it's as slow as a turtle, but, for me, it felt like I was flying and could feel the giant smile on my face the whole time!

I finished last week running at the same pace lol feels good though
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Did 5K to 10K, W1D2 distance. The distance was 4.38 miles and I did it in 59:22 for a pace of 13:34. So, slower than day 1, but I didn't feel like I was struggling or anything. I was just a little slower.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    mimi4janda wrote: »
    Week 3 Day 2 done. Still struggling to complete. But I am proud of how far I have progressed.

You might need to slow down? You can do this!
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    rnurse82 wrote: »
    I am so glad I didn't go straight from doing the 5K to doing the distance version of RunDouble's 5K to 10K program. By doing a couple weeks of the timed version, I didn't have to increase my distance so dramatically right away. The hill is still really hard (I run up it at about the same speed that I can walk up it on a very good day), but I'm getting used to tackling it.
    I wish we had better service. The Rundouble and MMR gps both cut out On me I think. Hoping to get to run in town after work one day this week and see how the gps does and see how far I can make it!! Great job btw!!

I understand your frustration. When I've had trouble with the GPS it's really bugged me.

We have very poor cell coverage - only one cell provider works at all and that not everywhere. And, the data signal is even worse. However, the GPS usually works - it doesn't depend on having data or cell signals. On occasion, it has seemed like having two applications using it at the same time (say, Fitbit and MMW or MMW and RunDouble) has caused problems, but lately they've been working for me. There's a setting in RunDouble to have it tell you when it loses GPS. That doesn't help get it back, but I would guess that it can give you an idea of where you're having problems and if it is consistently in the same spots. Also, I can export the data from RunDouble as a GPX file and import it into MMW, so if I have to use just one of the two, I stick with RunDouble. I've never tried using Fitbit's mapping and RunDouble together.

Well, last night I measured the distance with my vehicle and it was .2miles. I measured with my Fitbit and it was right on target. I watched the Rundouble as it tracked and it kept glitching, for approx 6 sec intervals. By the time I was done my Fitbit said 2.58 miles and the Rundouble said 2.10. Planning on running in town Fri night and see how the rundouble compares to my fitbit!
    smiles4jo wrote: »
    I'm so proud! I finished C25K today! And in my fastest time yet (13:30/mi)! I know it's as slow as a turtle, but, for me, it felt like I was flying and could feel the giant smile on my face the whole time!

Awesome job!!!
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    I started RunDouble's 5K to 10K program today. However, I'm kind of attached to this group, so I'm going to post both here and on the Bridge to 10K group for now. So...

RD 5K to 10K W1D1 Timed done. I ran a total of 3.3 miles. Which suited me just fine. The only problem was that I underestimated how much farther I should run after the "you are halfway" announcement before I turned around and ended up having to double back when I got to the end in order to finish the run. My excuse is that the road is really steep when I get to halfway!

The distance version of the program would have had me running 4.4 miles with a 1/2 mile stretch that averages a nearly 8% grade right in the middle. I didn't think I could make that kind of a jump from the 5K distance (which only took me part way up that awful grade). Which is why I'm starting with the timed version.

Have you looked on your app to see if it has custom runs? I can set my distance before I take off, the only caveat is if you don't complete your distance it doesn't count the run. Learned that the .10/mile the hard way!!!
  • NancyN795
    famousmel wrote: »
    I started RunDouble's 5K to 10K program today. However, I'm kind of attached to this group, so I'm going to post both here and on the Bridge to 10K group for now. So...

RD 5K to 10K W1D1 Timed done. I ran a total of 3.3 miles. Which suited me just fine. The only problem was that I underestimated how much farther I should run after the "you are halfway" announcement before I turned around and ended up having to double back when I got to the end in order to finish the run. My excuse is that the road is really steep when I get to halfway!

The distance version of the program would have had me running 4.4 miles with a 1/2 mile stretch that averages a nearly 8% grade right in the middle. I didn't think I could make that kind of a jump from the 5K distance (which only took me part way up that awful grade). Which is why I'm starting with the timed version.

Have you looked on your app to see if it has custom runs? I can set my distance before I take off, the only caveat is if you don't complete your distance it doesn't count the run. Learned that the .10/mile the hard way!!!

RunDouble has "fun runs" and some other options, but I don't see anything that just lets me pick any distance. Besides, what works for me is a plan that decides for me how far to run and when to take breaks. Left to my own devices, I won't push myself as hard as I should.
  • amandatadrzynski
    amandatadrzynski Posts: 11 Member
    Week 4 day 1 completed. In had to repeat that day once, and of course I chose to do so on a 90 degree day with high humity
  • mimi4janda
    mimi4janda Posts: 97 Member
    Week 3 Day 3 done.
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    9.38 min/mile last night. Did 3 miles! I can't believe that time!! I've gradually become a lot faster the last few runs.
  • NancyN795
    5K to 10K, W1D3 distance. The distance was 4.38 miles and I did it in 59:14 for a pace of 13:32. So, basically the same pace as last run. I was really slow up the big hill today (but I stuck to a "run" gait, even though I can walk it as fast or faster), but made it up elsewhere. It was a few degrees cooler this morning, or I'm just used to that length run at this point, because I didn't find myself covered in sweat as soon as I got home.
    rnurse82 wrote: »
    9.38 min/mile last night. Did 3 miles! I can't believe that time!! I've gradually become a lot faster the last few runs.

Good for you! My speed isn't budging, but the distance is becoming more doable and the hill isn't quite as intimidating now that I've run up it a few times.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Week 4 Day 1... did not run the duration of either 5 min interval. :( How do you decide if/when to repeat a day?
  • mimi4janda
    Week 4 Day 1... did not run the duration of either 5 min interval. :( How do you decide if/when to repeat a day?

I have the same question. I am scheduled to be on week 4 tomorrow. Jogging that long scares me. (That I can't do it)
  • NancyN795

It depends on the person. I think some people forge ahead regardless of whether they successfully completed the last run and that seems to work fine for them. However, I'm a very novice runner, I'm old, I'm fat, I've had knee problems, and I never had a deadline of when I wanted to complete the program - all of which added up to taking the most cautious approach possible. So, I repeated a lot. I needed to feel that I'd successfully completed that particular week before moving on to the next. So, I'd feel like I could move on if I could complete it by day 3. Not being able to complete it on day 1 was okay, not being able to complete it on day 3 meant repeating until I could.

@mimi4janda - I'd say go on to week 4, since you've successfully completed week 3. The increasing times/distances always scare me but I've learned that I can do more than I think I can.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Good advice. Thanks! @mimi4janda Give it a shot. I was scared, too. And yeah, I didn't run the whole time, but nothing bad happened when I took a break in the middle of the five minutes. :P I'm gonna work on Week 4 until I can run the whole five. Thanks, @NancyN795!
  • inka912
    inka912 Posts: 66 Member
    Good job y'all!

I've been trying to run longer and longer distance, been doing 5.5 mi runs recently and I just gave up. It's so boring, I can't do this anymore! LOL I have no problem running for 30-40 min and I really enjoy it but more than 60 min is just too much. So I decided I was gonna do C25K again, but this time I'm gonna workout on the treadmill so that I can control my speed, and try to run faster than before. So I am aiming for 4mph/6mph walk/run intervals. Today was W1D1 and it wasn't too hard so hopefully I can maintain that speed throughout the whole program.
  • mimi4janda
    Did week 4 day 1. I will be on this week for a while. No way I can run and talk at the same time. Got work to do.
  • NancyN795
    Today was W2D1 of the RunDouble distance 5K to 10K plan for me. I was a little anxious about it because the additional distance meant going up another short steep hill then down a longer, steeper hill, then turning around and going back up it. As I expected, the brief walking break took place where it was starting to level out and then I was supposed to run up the steepest part. I couldn't do it and dropped to a walk until I got to the top. From there I was able to complete the rest of the run.

End result: 5.07 miles in 69:41 for a pace of 13:44. So, I was slower but I feel good about just doing it.

I'm thinking that next time I'll keep running when it says to walk at that point and then give myself the walk break after I've turned around and gotten to where it gets steep. Maybe that would be viewed as cheating but I figure it's about the same amount of walking, just delayed a little bit.
    mimi4janda wrote: »
    Did week 4 day 1. I will be on this week for a while. No way I can run and talk at the same time. Got work to do.

No way I can EVER run and talk at the same time unless gasping out single words counts as "talking". If that was a hard and fast rule, I couldn't run. I guess I'm probably a bit better than I once was - if I'm not trying to run up a 10%+ grade then I can probably get a few words out at a time. But, based on the rule that you have to be able to run and talk at the same time, I never would have completed Week 1 of C25K.