Anyone ready to start a C25K schedule?

13»

Replies

• Terrimtz1
    Terrimtz1 Posts: 1 Member
    I started C25K this week on the treadmill at Planet Fitness. It's been decades since I've been a runner. Having a hard time with cramps in the front of my calves. Yes, I stretch beforehand, and I also do an extra five minutes of warming up on treadmill before I turn on the C25K timer on my phone. The cramps seem to hit after the second or third running segment then I'm having to continue walking through the next few running segments before the cramps settle down enough to do it.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    I am only one Week 4, I got stuck on Week 3 but I think it was a mental block. I've had a breathing issue for a while so I use it as a crutch...
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    I'm on Week 5 Day 2. Moving from one week to another is always scary, but I constantly surprise myself with how much I'm able to do. My legs and butt are firming up and looking great! haha.

At first, I was heel striking and getting shin splints from it, so I slowed my pace and began rhythmic breathing and they went away and I began having a midfoot strike with the slower pace which has reduced the jarring impact.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    nice ladies!!!! looks like we are all in this c25k together :) I love that....I am in week 3..took today off and hiked instead so week 3 day 3 tomorrow is next step! So glad to have others to lean on...glad to have some ahead of me so I can get advice!!!!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    me me me :) Are you going to start a group? Yay perfect timing :)
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    I did week 1, day 1 today! I'm old and literally straight off the couch! I have bad knees too. But I am going to give it a try! Anyone on here can add me if you like. I'm on here everyday. Good luck!
  • nancycaregiver
    I have a question! How do you all time your intervals? Like for example W1D1, alternate :60 jogging with 1:30 walking. I'm not sure what to use to time my runs; I used to use my phone but it's broken now... I'm wondering if I should go to a sports store and take a look around to see what they have because I'm not sure. A stopwatch? Timer? What do you all use?

I was using my phone's timer till my son told me there is an app! A woman comes on and tells me when to start running and when to start a brisk walk. I just started today. I'm going to see if she will still talk to me if I have pandora playing.
  • BobcatGirl110
    beth would a group be more helpful or we can just keep this thread going and asking questions, encouraging, and posting updates here? Feel free to FR me if you'd like :)

Nancy, again I state I'm new to this AND have 40 lbs to lose so you aren't talking to a runner and/or a fitness gal but please allow me to suggest that if you have bad knees then pls go get fitted for proper shoes....I had to last week so I am saying it from recent experience....it will help there be no or less pain and it's soooo much easier when there is no pain....just gain :)
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Can I join? I have to admit I tried a while ago and life got in the way and didn't finish. I got thru week four. But I would like to start over and finish.
    I definitely will need the support, I never was a runner, in fact I always hated running.

Friend me if you feel you can help me thru this, and I will help you also to encourage and motivate.
  • nancycaregiver
    Ok, so do you just do it 3 days a week? Do you skip every other day? Are these stupid questions? I'm just a little confused. And can I play pandora while the app is running?
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Just finished Wk 2 Day1! Was a little afraid of the longer running times but I felt super energetic tonight for some reason and it was not bad at all, I even felt like I could have kept going if I had to. I wonder why some days my legs feel like lead and other times I feel like I could go forever?
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Ok, so do you just do it 3 days a week? Do you skip every other day? Are these stupid questions? I'm just a little confused. And can I play pandora while the app is running?

From what I heard, to avoid injury you're supposed to only go 3 times a week with at least 1 rest day in between. It works out then that there's a 2 day rest somewhere between runs so I use that flexibility to adapt it to my schedule. Not sure about playing Pandora while the app is running but there's so many different apps out there that I would do a trial with it before the workout.
  • I started C25K this week on the treadmill at Planet Fitness. It's been decades since I've been a runner. Having a hard time with cramps in the front of my calves. Yes, I stretch beforehand, and I also do an extra five minutes of warming up on treadmill before I turn on the C25K timer on my phone. The cramps seem to hit after the second or third running segment then I'm having to continue walking through the next few running segments before the cramps settle down enough to do it.

This happened to me a lot in the beginning. I would pause the program and stretch whenever I needed to.
  • I have a question! How do you all time your intervals? Like for example W1D1, alternate :60 jogging with 1:30 walking. I'm not sure what to use to time my runs; I used to use my phone but it's broken now... I'm wondering if I should go to a sports store and take a look around to see what they have because I'm not sure. A stopwatch? Timer? What do you all use?

I have an app on my ipod I use, but the group I run with uses a timer.
  • BTW there is a great group here on MFP that is a C25K group. I recommend checking them out, they have lots of tips and pointers and a check in thread where everyone posts about where they are in the program. I will be doing week 7 day 3 tomorrow. Hoping to go the entire 25 minutes.
  • BobcatGirl110
    I joined the C25k group on here as well....when I started this thread I was just looking for people who were early in it to "work through together"....guess the theory is really that it's nice to have a group or friends on your list who are doing the same things you are so you can draw motivation and support from them:)

as for my week, I found that the app basically doesn't work on the treadmill...went to do a w3d3 on friday and it didn't prompt for when to walk and run so didn't get it logged....had to run/walk by myself so I did 5 min run...90 sec walk.....5 min run....90 sec walk intervals to make it up.....yesterday I was out of town for family (moms day and graduation) so I'm going to get that damn w3d3 logged today I swear!!!!!

as for the 3 day a week schedule I still feel it depends on you...we are all different...some run it on consecutive days....some run every other day....some do it when they can and leave the "extra days" to repeat if necessary....I honestly feel it doesn't matter how you do it....just do it and do whatever works best for you :)
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    I'm thinking of doing this too. I'm currently in the 3rd month of Chalean Extreme (heavy lifting) and thinking of replacing the cardio with running. A friend at work asked me to do a 1/2 marathon in September and I don't know if I can. Haven't run for years but am very active and have good cardio. Was thinking of giving running another try. I run on my treadmill but haven't run outside for ages.!!
  • BobcatGirl110
    I'm thinking of doing this too. I'm currently in the 3rd month of Chalean Extreme (heavy lifting) and thinking of replacing the cardio with running. A friend at work asked me to do a 1/2 marathon in September and I don't know if I can. Haven't run for years but am very active and have good cardio. Was thinking of giving running another try. I run on my treadmill but haven't run outside for ages.!!

There is an app for you to train for the half I do believe :) so while you might be running a lot futher/faster than us 5k types doesn't mean you aren't welcome to post with us...especially when you never know who here might end up having the same goals :)
  • jenilosinfluff
    jenilosinfluff Posts: 12 Member
    I have a skillz drillz interval timer that works well for the first couple of weeks. You can buy them at Wal-Mart for around $12.
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    I have a question! How do you all time your intervals? Like for example W1D1, alternate :60 jogging with 1:30 walking. I'm not sure what to use to time my runs; I used to use my phone but it's broken now... I'm wondering if I should go to a sports store and take a look around to see what they have because I'm not sure. A stopwatch? Timer? What do you all use?
    I wondered this when I wanted to start as well and some nice people told me about podcasts. If you have an mp3 player or can use your phone if it has those capabilities, you can download free podcasts with music that tell you when to walk and when to run. They are soooooo helpful. I will be starting Week 3 today, I think.
    There are many different sites for podcasts. I use c25kplaylists.com and have also used the running into shape website. There are many more. If you search the forum there are threads on here that list many sites.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, what a great idea! Currently downloading the Week 1 playlist from the c25kplaylists.com website. Thank you so much, again!

I might also look into buying an interval timer--and thanks for the suggestions, everyone!