Sorry I have to vent...

1235»

Replies

• musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    can of worms: OPENED
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member

I do agree with you, however, on the other hand, I have 2 kids, I have a mortgage, I have a car payment and monthly bills.... at the end of the month, there isn't a lot left for me to pay for a personal trainer.

Exactly. I pay for the stuff I HAVE to pay for first. And then savings. And health insurance.
    A personal trainer is not a necessity.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Well, that escalated quickly....
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Well, that escalated quickly....

This is really quite mild for MFP spats.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    I generally agree. One big distinction of course is that many people need a car to commute to earn a living. Taking care of one's health and exercising are considered as extras because our culture treats them as extras. Not so in countries that have socialized medicine and where everyone has health care.
  • martanightingale
    martanightingale Posts: 1 Member
    I totally agree!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    If you don't live in a metro area with mass transit you'll need a car to get to work (a la a car payment)

Not necessarily. I have never had a car payment in my life. I buy "new to me" cars that I can afford, pay $200 a year for AAA and have a great mechanic. Unless you are driving a hundred miles a day there is absolutely no need to get the latest and greatest $50,000 car on the market, unless you're doing so because you feel you need that "status symbol". I don't. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 226,000 miles on it and I can't wait to get another 226,000 miles. If I can't and the jeep craps the bed I'll go out and find myself another used car that I can afford and pay cash for.

OP: I get what you were saying with your post and while there are a lot of people out there who after paying all their bills don't have the money to drop for a gym membership there are free videos that you can get on demand. DVD's don't cost a lot and neither does some of the equipment that you can get at a regular store. Running is pretty cheap AND no equipment necessary. I think it's just another excuse not to do what's right for you. IMO I'd rather drive my old jeep and buy things I can afford so that I can spend a little extra on a gym membership rather than hundreds of thousands of dollars on hospital bills.