Running Injuries

13»

Replies

• traci9028
    traci9028 Posts: 104 Member
    Hello,

I'm new to MFP, running, and this group but I think it's fabulous!! I have a question. I read the description of runner's knee and wonder if this is what I have. I ran/walked a 5K Saturday and the insides of my knees are really sore (on the inside of my knee caps). I started to feel it the last mile or so and really felt it the day after and now. I have really cheap shoes and wonder if this is the cause.
  • snowdancer03
    snowdancer03 Posts: 233 Member
    My right knee is on FIRE!! It hurts to run but gosh dang it I paid for this 5K and I'm going to finish it!
  • traci9028
    traci9028 Posts: 104 Member
    Hi. That's how I feel but I'm not sure the best thing to do for the pain. I have been icing mine. Good luck. When is your 5K?
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    So i finished my c25k but had bad shin splints for 2 weeks during took time out iced and rested, started stretching differently and taking more care on my form when running. It helped, shin splints have mostly recovered however I still get pain the middle left side in my right shin. Nothing like before but still notable after running. Also my right knee has been bothering me mostly on the right side underneath and on the top right side..
    But a little swollen on the left side of the right knee. Weird, also when standing the back of my right thigh gets pains too that start behind the knee. Maybe my hamstring?? I don't know.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    My knees have been sore, too, on the inside, right next to/under my knee caps. I did my 3rd running day of week 1 on Sunday, and yesterday was my rest day. I went for a fairly slow walk around the park with my son, and noticed that my knees were not intensely sore, but annoyingly sore at the back of every step. I had the shin pain for the first few days, but that went away (for now anyways), so I'm hoping that this knee pain will go away too, and it's just because it's something new that I'm doing. I will finish my last day of week 1 today...it's just a 45 minute brisk walk/light jog. I'll take my 3 year old with me, after the other boys are gone to school.
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    well, i've hurt my knees. i can walk and run through it, but i'm worried that what ever is wrong will only get worse. i don't want to stop the program . . . how do i know it's time for a break or if i should push through?
  • ToadlyFrog
    ToadlyFrog Posts: 2 Member
    I was four weeks into the C25K program last year as a newbie runner. My lower leg started to hurt one day when I was just walking around at home. I went out running anyway, and it was swollen by the time I got home. I quit running for two weeks and then went to the podiatrist who diagnosed it as a stress fracture of the fibula.

I did not fall, I did not do the program more than 3 x/week, and I did not skip any weeks. My husband says I had shoes with poor support, which is true, or that my stride is "wrong." Subsequent bone scan showed bone mass was normal.

Any thoughts or advice on whether I should start up again? I am planning on getting shoes at a store that specializes in it and can do the fitting. The doctor said there was no reason for me not to try it again. I know better now to stop asap if the legs hurt, but am still scared of winding up on crutches and in a boot again just trying to get in shape.
  • gi62nny
    gi62nny Posts: 3 Member
    I am so very frustrated, I had knee surgery (tore my meniscus) in January and gained 10lbs and just been cleared to start running again and its a much harder process than what I thought. I think I have been in denial about what I look like until I saw myslef in a 360 mirror. OMG - i'm awful. I track everyday and strength train 2 days a week and hopefully back to running tomorrow morning. I'm so discouraged. I hope I can make it to lose weight.
  • Mawjie
    Mawjie Posts: 6 Member
    I got shin splints in both legs due to bad running shoes.
    Still recovering and just walking for now.

I need new running shoes, any recommendations?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    mawjies wrote: »
    I got shin splints in both legs due to bad running shoes.
    Still recovering and just walking for now.

I need new running shoes, any recommendations?

Find a local running store to be fitted. They will watch you walk and run to determine if you pronate, etc and examine your gait. Then they will make recommendations and watch you walking and running in different shoes. It makes an amazing difference. The store I visited recommended ASICS for my feet but they had a really hard time dealing with my narrow ankles. They showed me alternative lacing patterns to customize the fit.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Firstly good running shoes are really important - always invest in things that make contract between you and the ground. The thought that strikes me is that newbie runners like me will change their stride pattern several times before we find a technique that will last. Fitted shoes are expensive. Can we get the information on running patterns when fitted? Obviously buy your first pair from the people doing the fitting, they have earned that business however I cannot afford to keep paying top dollar.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Firstly good running shoes are really important - always invest in things that make contract between you and the ground. The thought that strikes me is that newbie runners like me will change their stride pattern several times before we find a technique that will last. Fitted shoes are expensive. Can we get the information on running patterns when fitted? Obviously buy your first pair from the people doing the fitting, they have earned that business however I cannot afford to keep paying top dollar.

Once you buy the first pair, you can research to find shoes that have the same characteristics and buy cheaper online.
  • TheMrWobbly
    So apparently I have an abductor muscle strain - recommended treatment 2-3 weeks rest - who got time for that?!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    @TheMrWobbly I have issues with that and it can be very inconvinient! hope it feels better soon!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Thanks @showjumper though I can still power walk and cycle so I will concentrate on those. Hopefully still good calorie burn each day.