What to do BEFORE you start!

Replies

• MrsCB10
    MrsCB10 Posts: 17 Member
    Your added note "Don't be embarrassed" was the tip I needed to read the most. Thank you. I have a VERY difficult time working out in public (whether it's in the gym or around my neighbourhood) because I feel so out of place and embarrassed. I know everyone started somewhere, so I'm going to start tonight with a brisk 5km walk with my husband. Here I go ....
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Managed Week 1 Day 1 of C25K this morning. It wasn't pretty and I came close to quitting many times, but somehow I did it :)
  • Lucinda_Sue
    Lucinda_Sue Posts: 8 Member
    Great information! Do you have any suggestions for apps that will help with the cross training?
  • kyanmel873
    kyanmel873 Posts: 3 Member
    Tried it once but now I'm starting again tomorrow I can do this and finish it
  • ronald3haney
    ronald3haney Posts: 15 Member
    Awesome! Great advice! Thanks for the info!
  • AglaeaC wrote: »
    I have never been a runner. How do I go from just starting walking to running?

If you can walk a decent distance, whatever that means (maybe a few miles?), I'm sure you can get through week 1 of couch-to-5K, provided you do the running intervals slowly. You might feel like you're about to die (not literally), but then you share the experience with quite a few other beginners.

Read the threads in this group where you find advice on getting fitted for running shoes, what clothing to choose and how to layer, how to deal with food and drink, how to keep track of when to run/walk (what apps etc. there are, which are free, and so on), and more.

There's a daily check-in thread for people at all stages so you're more than welcome to join. Also, ask questions if there's something you're wondering about and someone will (eventually) get around to replying :)

You can find the original couch-to-5K (or C25K) programme at Cool Running. Study it and stick to it, don't overdo things if you feel invincible all of a sudden, because that's a certain road to injury down the line.

• tatinav
    tatinav Posts: 22 Member
    Great info thx. I'm on week 9 and it's a repeater for me. So glad it's part of your list.
  • RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    I am so looking forward to getting back into running. This is some great info to get back into it. I haven't really ran since I was in College (many years ago LOL). I loved to run back then and no one can understand the feeling of being free as when I go for a run. It just really lifted my spirits. So ready to get back at it. :wink:

P. S. Anyone can add me as a friend if they wish. I would love all the support I can get and would be more than happy to help encourage you to keep on running!
  • reneelisa1987
    reneelisa1987 Posts: 16 Member
    Just starting out on C25K thank you for this information it's really helped answer some questions I have had :blush:
  • epaz11
    epaz11 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the tips. Im going to start. Im aiming for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Has anyone else followed a similar schedule?
  • rmed057
    rmed057 Posts: 5 Member
    Hello! I am about to start out on this and give it all I can. Is there a list of the runs that we should be doing somewhere for a couple weeks? I appreciate all of the information also! It is so helpful!
  • adecar
    adecar Posts: 2 Member
    I am so happy I found this.... GREAT INFO!!!! I am running my first 5K in a few weeks... I am nervous.....excited....and getting pumped!!!! I am overweight.... So it has given me motivation to go run... Or something like that 4-5 times a week!!!!
  • WonStepAtaTime
    WonStepAtaTime Posts: 101 Member
    The last post I see was for Oct2015. Is anyone still on here? I am planning to begin C25K program and could the support. Happy New Year to you all.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    There is usually more activity in the Daily Check in Thread. I figure it will pick up now that the new year is upon us! Welcome!
  • WonStepAtaTime
    WonStepAtaTime Posts: 101 Member
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    There is usually more activity in the Daily Check in Thread. I figure it will pick up now that the new year is upon us! Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and the guidance. I'll look there.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    I started in early December. Got half way through week 2 and then broke my toe. I am keen to start again as soon as my toe is up for it. I think I still have another 4 weeks before I will be running again.
  • grannymoody
    grannymoody Posts: 1 Member
    Thanks for all the information. I will try it starting Monday
  • scottm7000
    scottm7000 Posts: 7 Member
    This post be from 2013 but was well worth the read, so thank you.
  • Smithworkout2016
    Smithworkout2016 Posts: 32 Member
    I want to start
  • angie55575
    angie55575 Posts: 90 Member
    I want to start

You can do it!! I'm on week 5, and I NEVER thought that I would be able to do it! My advice, make a killer music playlist that will keep you pumped throughout your workout! I was getting shin splints the first two weeks during it, but now I haven't had them in forever! It's amazing what your body can do!