Rice cooked and uncooked calories?

13»

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Bocinero wrote: »
    From Live Strong site ( not from a public comet but from an article on the subject written by the site) "Your body cannot digest raw rice, so nutritional value is given for cooked rice", so if this is correct the serving size and accompanying nutrition/calories is for cooked rice.

Just for future reference, Live Strong articles are not a reputable source. 1/4cup of dry rice becomes @ 1 cup of cooked rice. The nutritional info assumes it will be cooked as yes if you try to swallow down dry rice, you are not going to get much if any nutritional value from it, but the serving size listed is uncooked unless the package specifically states otherwise.

Six year old thread.

Not your fault.

How does this keep happening?

source.gif

New people searching for info and old thread resurrected instead if creating new thread about same topic. 😁
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Its more accurate to weigh it dry since water content in cooked rice can vary widely. And, its harder to weigh cooked since it has to be weighed before combining the rice with anything or plating it.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Its more accurate to weigh it dry since water content in cooked rice can vary widely. And, its harder to weigh cooked since it has to be weighed before combining the rice with anything or plating it.

Easier said than done..

But if you like Chinese food like myself.. hard to ask the chef how much dry rice he used to make the fried rice. 😉
  • wilson10102018
    The trouble with Chinese food is that rice, like most everything else in the world tastes a whole lot better with oil added. So, when you go to your favorite Chinese place and you say to yourself, "Self? Why doesn't my rice taste this good?" It may be because the 250 calories of rice also has 400 calories of oil in it.

When I worked in foods, we used to call it "cheating" but of course it wasn't. It was just that if you made a pan of scramble eggs and used 8 eggs and a half a stick of butter, it just tasted a whole lot better. I can recall the chef getting a pair of tongs and dipping the T Bone in a pan of pure butter and putting it back on the grill for a few seconds.

And, if you have every watched fried rice made, recall the first step, i.e. pouring a quarter to a half cup of sesame oil (or equivalent) in the Wok. (500-1000 calories of oil)
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    ouryve wrote: »
    1shauna1 wrote: »
    Good advice. I don't know why they include the calories for uncooked; not as if you'd ever eat it that way!

Unless you're cooking for one.

Yes, exactly. If I'm just doing rice for myself I weigh and log 'dry'. If I'm cooking for several people I weigh out and log what I want of the cooked rice
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    I bought one of those Knorr herb and butter rice packets. It gives the serving size as 1/2 cup (65g) (1 cup prepared) 2.5 servings per package

I didn't realize I would have to weigh the total amount of rice after cooking, so I pulled out my handy kitchen scale and weighed out 65g! It was a tiny portion, heaping tablespoon!

I ended up guesstimating a third of the package and ate that for dinner, the other 2/3 I saved for 2 other meals. I'm the only one eating it so I'll have used up all the calories, one day it might be over the next day under but it will even out
  • wilson10102018
    Uncle Ben's has a microwave product they claim to be a cup of rice with corresponding calories. This product:

https://www.target.com/p/minute-174-long-grain-microwaveable-white-rice-bowl-8-8oz-2pk/-/A-14909445?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Grocery+Essentials+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9015702&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247077&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Nan1uDC4AIVFVcNCh1saQB3EAQYASABEgKAJ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#

It is actually 1/2 of a cup before microwaving and 2/3 of a cup after (the increase probably only due to air space in the measuring cup). Not only does that make it calorie rich above home made, it is also cheating the consumer on quantity.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Allgaun wrote: »
    I bought one of those Knorr herb and butter rice packets. It gives the serving size as 1/2 cup (65g) (1 cup prepared) 2.5 servings per package

I didn't realize I would have to weigh the total amount of rice after cooking, so I pulled out my handy kitchen scale and weighed out 65g! It was a tiny portion, heaping tablespoon!

I ended up guesstimating a third of the package and ate that for dinner, the other 2/3 I saved for 2 other meals. I'm the only one eating it so I'll have used up all the calories, one day it might be over the next day under but it will even out

I read that as the 65g is before cooking. The serving size is 1/2 cup or 65g, and when you cook it, it will be estimated to around 1 cup. They don't give you a weight cooked because how much liquid the rice will absorb and retain will vary.
  • BitDreamer
    BitDreamer Posts: 1 Member
    Someone commented above "Good advice. I don't know why they include the calories for uncooked; not as if you'd ever eat it that way!"

Let me take that one step further. Congress should update the laws regarding food labeling to state on Calories and all other values (especially weight/volume) "AS EATEN", because NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!

And yes, 10 years later, that earlier comment is still valid!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    BitDreamer wrote: »
    Someone commented above "Good advice. I don't know why they include the calories for uncooked; not as if you'd ever eat it that way!"

Let me take that one step further. Congress should update the laws regarding food labeling to state on Calories and all other values (especially weight/volume) "AS EATEN", because NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!

And yes, 10 years later, that earlier comment is still valid!

LOL! You have no idea how people cook their rice and how much water gets absorbed. Also, you didn't read this thread.