boring veggies

124»

Replies

• Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    best way to cook spinach, rinse it off. meanwhile sautee garlic in olive oil. Then put spinach WITH NO WATER in the pot cover and it will steam with the water left on it from the rinse

I love all veggies sauteed with olive oil and garlic, I blanch broccoli and green beans first them throw them in with the galic and olive oil
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Walmart has some bags of frozen stir fry mixes that you can boil or fry to go with meals as sides. They are mixtures of squash, peppers, corn, snap peas, broccoli, etc etc etc depending on which you buy. I usually stir fry with about a tablespoon of oil or butter and some seasonings depending on how I'm eating them (with a meal or alone). Butternut squash is really good with a tablespoon of butter and a spoon of brown sugar mixed in (bake or microwave half a squash in an inch of water, scoop and mix up) and spaghetti squash can give a good impression of pasta with a meal if you cook it and shred it with a fork.
  • Mrskatie
    Mrskatie Posts: 27 Member
    Raw, crunchy veggies with a couple Tbsp hummus (Spicy Red Pepper is my fave).
    Kids love Brussels sprouts roasted in the oven with a little coconut oil. Heck, ANY veg is yummy after roasting in the oven!
    Pureed Cauliflower is really good with butter and garlic (almost like mashed potatoes).
    I Love snacking on baked Kale chips (seasoned with Mrs.Dash, any flavour)
    Or a mix of veg, sautéed, and added to an omelette with some salsa. That's not too boring :)
  • misspatty123
    misspatty123 Posts: 5 Member
    I love to marinate peppers in Balsamic Vinegar and barbecue them. Sometimes I will put goat cheese on top.

Or a favorite of mine (but if done wrong could be unhealthy) is put some broccoli in a bag and spray olive oil on it (my dad pours olive oil on... and his is very unhealthy because he uses waaaaayyyy too much) and put some pressed garlic and seasoning salt and mix it up in the bag. Then let it marinate in the bag overnight or two days and then barbecue. Sooooo good!

I also make fresh Pico De Gallo (almost always have some on hand) and use it on soooo much stuff.
  • i have the same problem and am a fairly picky (texture based) eater, luckily my husband will eat anything i cook and i love to experiment with new flavours and trick myself into eatting the veggies. I found a great recipe for cauliflower... (rachel ray website) basically roast cauliflower and then toss in hot sauce. and saw another for brocoli from daphne oz (the chew) on rachel rays show ... boil brocoli until fork tender then roast with oregano and a hard cheese shaved over the top ... haven't tried the brocoli yet but the cauliflower is delicious.... also love homemade sweet potato fries baked in the oven with a little olive oil.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    I like to sneak vegetables in wherever I can; my favorite way is adding mushroom, onion and garlic pretty much anytime I'm cooking meat. I chop them all up in advance and keep them in tupperware so they're ready to go. If I have lots of mushrooms, I'll slice them up in advance and boil them all in plain water so that I can easily add them to dishes later (you can also freeze them for later).

I also like to cook some black beans for the week (maybe 1-2 cups dry for 2 people) and just throw it into whatever dishes I'm making.. just make sure to get the dry kind as the canned ones are loaded with salt!

ps - fresh lemon juice and pepper does a world of good to just about any veggie!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    Google vegetable recipes......there's literally thousands.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    ROAST ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!

And try grilling asparagus with pepper, lemon, olive oil and parmesan cheese.
  • juliana0813
    juliana0813 Posts: 49
    Spinach with garlic and olive oil! MY FAVOURITE!