Running Beyond 5K

2»

Replies

• DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Hoping to see some great replies. This is one of my main goals before the end of this year!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I was stuck at 3 miles for a wile.
    you only do need 1 long run as someone said. What I did one day is just ran 3 miles out in a strait line.

I pretty much then forced myself to run back 3 miles. I had to do 6 miles that day, it was pretty much a mental game and just adjust speed and take a little walk break if you need it.

Going to do 1/2 marathon this weekend.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    I'm in the same boat and what I find that's working for me is to include interval training. Instead of only doing 30 minute runs, I've started incorporating runs that consist of 4 intervals of 10 minutes with two minute walks in-between. It seems to be really helping my endurance thus far on the longer, sustained runs.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    BUMP!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,035 Member
    Pick a longer route and GO . . . you have no choice once you're out there but to finish it!!
    Pick one day a week for your "long" run- then the next week up that by a mile (or .5 a mile if a whole mile is intimidating to you)

I also alwasy incorporated my precious "long" runs into my shorter run days once the distance was conquered- meaning I ran the whole thing. So if on week 1 my long run was 4 miles and I ran the whole way, on week 2 I would up my long run to 5 miles but make sure I ran 4 miles at least once that week as a short run (I'm sure I didn't explain that very well)