HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    bump
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    rontuueyeslikeafox Posts: 99 Member
    ExistingFish, I can't believe you changed so much in that short space of time, that's amazing! You look super strong now, that's what I'm aiming for
  • quiksylver296
    Bumping good threads because I'm bored
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    39flavours wrote: »
    I have a question about deadlifts, I'm hoping some of you strong lasses might help. The last few times I have tried deadlifts I have found my grip on the bar isn't strong enough. I was trying to lift 40kg/88 lbs and although my hamstrings, back, shoulders felt fine at this weight, I was only able to do six lifts before I could feel the bar slipping out of my grasp and had to stop. Similar problem with squats in that I can squat 35kg/77 lbs but struggle to clean and press this weight to get the bar onto my shoulders. I have tried a smiths machine but didn't like the angle of travel. Any suggestions? Thanks

Perhaps try some chalk.
    Try a grip so that the knuckles on one hand are facing away from you and the knuckles on the other hand are facing towards you-alternate grip.
  • tablefor5now
    tablefor5now Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2019
    Ok so question for heavy lifting women...
    I am 43 year old mum of 3. I have lost 27kg (60lb) over the last 1.5 years with some more to go.
    I have taken pride in the fact that it's entirely possible to get in shape without setting foot in the gym.
    My family is keen on events such as the Tough Mudder and I'd love to join them on a Half Mudder this year. I'm already fairly fit thanks to the hill walking/running/biking I do But I really need to get some strength to hoist all of this over walls!
    I have a set of free weights and bench, hand weights, fixed weight home gym and a suspension trainer. I will research proper form and technique and have a spotter.
    So experienced lifters, can you give me scalable programme that you personally recommend for starting lifting (or an app/website that works)?
    Help a sister out!
  • quiksylver296
    Ok so question for heavy lifting women...
    I am 43 year old mum of 3. I have lost 27kg (60lb) over the last 1.5 years with some more to go.
    I have taken pride in the fact that it's entirely possible to get in shape without setting foot in the gym.
    My family is keen on events such as the Tough Mudder and I'd love to join them on a Half Mudder this year. I'm already fairly fit thanks to the hill walking/running/biking I do But I really need to get some strength to hoist all of this over walls!
    I have a set of free weights and bench, hand weights, fixed weight home gym and a suspension trainer. I will research proper form and technique and have a spotter.
    So experienced lifters, can you give me scalable programme that you personally recommend for starting lifting (or an app/website that works)?
    Help a sister out!

I’m on my phone or I’d link it, but there’s a thread here on MFP called “which lifting program is right for you.” Go wander through that. You’ll find what you are looking for.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Here is the link in case you haven’t found it.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Choose a beginner programme you can start with given time and equipment restraints.

A lot of people enjoy one of the 3x3 or 5x5 linear progression programmes. They consist of the basic compound lifts and strength can progress relatively fast.

I’ve always enjoyed AllPro. It’s a little different but works well for me.

Cheers, h.
  • tablefor5now
    tablefor5now Posts: 19 Member
    Here is the link in case you haven’t found it.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Choose a beginner programme you can start with given time and equipment restraints.

A lot of people enjoy one of the 3x3 or 5x5 linear progression programmes. They consist of the basic compound lifts and strength can progress relatively fast.

I’ve always enjoyed AllPro. It’s a little different but works well for me.

Cheers, h.

Thank you!
  • SteroidalLolita
    SteroidalLolita Posts: 122 Member
    Someone needs to inspire me to get bulky because I started lifting last night and let me tell ya- I had a lot fun, but I am SO SORE. Particularly my thighs (inner and back) and my GLUTES.
  • badfingerfan
    badfingerfan Posts: 1 Member
    Did you change your hair color??
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    @atevy , you look amazing! Ignore your mama and keep on rocking!
  • atevy
    atevy Posts: 6 Member
    Yivs_87 wrote: »
    @atevy , you look amazing! Ignore your mama and keep on rocking!

thank you! :)
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    atevy wrote: »
    Hey, my "bulky" journey is from anorexia/bulimia to a healthy weight.

dpoznyqa2x42.jpg
    2019 April - took me some time to figure out all this weigh-lifting stuff, but finally I've started to see some results - here I had around 16 kilos more than in the first picture (now I'm slightly cutting for summer hah)

oops, sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to share it with someone who can actually appreciate it :D

You look incredible! Great work!!
  • danae16
    danae16 Posts: 62 Member

dpoznyqa2x42.jpg
    2019 April - took me some time to figure out all this weigh-lifting stuff, but finally I've started to see some results - here I had around 16 kilos more than in the first picture (now I'm slightly cutting for summer hah)

oops, sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to share it with someone who can actually appreciate it :D
    [/quote]

You look so healthy here! Not bulky at all. I think you look beautiful!
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    edited May 2019
    atevy wrote: »
    Hey, my "bulky" journey is from anorexia/bulimia to a healthy weight.:) Although my mother worries that I'll turn into a man and no one will marry me, but well... I love it, lifting has saved my life :) (unfortunately, I'm not kidding, we had some fights about lifting and my bulkiness haha)

i7ckts8hsj3g.jpg
    that's in 2015, when I was a "full time" bulimic, occasionally I would try to exercise with an attempt to lose weight because I still considered myself fat

2yvlakcmt726.jpg
    in 2016, my very first days of ED recovery, since then I have barely missed more than 3 days of gym, but still I was mostly doing cardio (10 km a day etc.)

j2iw0llmj2sk.jpg
    2017 - started to lift

dpoznyqa2x42.jpg

Thats some great condition you have there in 2019 girl !
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!