HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• baxter466
    baxter466 Posts: 14 Member
    Wow you look great what is your program
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member

If I could make a suggestion: invest in a standing desk if you can!! Every little bit helps too like parking a little further away or short walks. Also, I would say most women wouldn't get bulky but we are all individuals and I feel personally I do need more cardio of various kinds in addition to weight lifting and that works for me because I do feel like I get a little bulky (and no not cuz I was eating too much and I don't have any hormone imbalances that I know of).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually done with school now, which is why I have time/mental energy to care about my fitness again. Also, for many reasons getting a standing desk was not an option. Space & the fact that we were spending thousands of dollars each month on going to school being the biggest.
  • ScotianRunner
    ScotianRunner Posts: 2 Member
    :D<3 Great work! I can't wait til MY bulk comes in
  • amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    amioc wrote: »
    Everyone on hear are amazing 🤩!! I really hope
    I can post mine on hear someday, I love weight lifting but can’t seem to sort my diet out 😕! I’m so pathetic 🙁

No you’re not. As long as you’re genuinely trying, you’re just…..:not.

And jeez Louise, looking at your profile pic, give yourself some credit.

Thank you ☺️. I definitely need to try harder with the food side of things I’m just finding it so hard to get in that mindset. If you have any advice for that I would be so grateful.
    I’ve put on 7lbs since that picture 😣!!
  • amioc
    If I just lift weights and don’t change my diet would I still get good results and loose inches? I’ve started lifting again and it’s going great 😊 I love it and I’m pretty much back to the strength I was before I stoped over lockdown and various illnesses 😀. I already feel a bit less wobbly. I just can’t stick to healthy eating for long because I’m weak in regards to food 😕. I want to loose weight so badly so why can’t I stick to the food side of things 🤷‍♀️ Which is why I’m asking if I will still loose inches without a clean diet? Any advice would be much appreciated 🙏
  • amioc
    If I just lift weights and don’t change my diet would I still get good results and loose inches? I’ve started lifting again and it’s going great 😊 I love it and I’m pretty much back to the strength I was before I stoped over lockdown and various illnesses 😀. I already feel a bit less wobbly. I just can’t stick to healthy eating for long because I’m weak in regards to food 😕. I want to loose weight so badly so why can’t I stick to the food side of things 🤷‍♀️ Which is why I’m asking if I will still loose inches without a clean diet? Any advice would be much appreciated 🙏

Let’s try breaking this down into bite sized pieces, with the caveat, YMMV.

1.) what happens if you don’t make any changes? You’ll continue to gain weight at appx the same rate.

2.) you’ve added weights back in. IMHO, weight training is great for strength and building shape as a result. But doesn’t burn many calories, because it’s so stop, add plates, go, stop, add more etc etc. You’ve added weight fairly slowly, however, so the calorie burned with lifting may be enough to keep you in maintenance if you continue eating “as is”.

(For this reason, I don’t even record or count training as exercise in my own diary. )

3.) you’ve only got seven pounds to lose. A pound is 3500 calories. To lose a pound a week, you need to have a 500 calories per day deficit (7 days x 500 =3500 aka a pound). You are so close you do NOT want to try to lose seven pounds at this rate, and anyway, the closer you are to goal - and you’re very very close- the harder it is to lose those last few pounds.

Why not set a goal of a quarter pound per week? That’s a deficit of 875 calories per week, or 125 calories per day.

That’s super manageable. What can you do to cut back 125 per day? Could you cut out a soda per day, change to a zero calorie salad dressing, change to a lower cal coffee or tea creamer or sweetener, a low cal ketchup or Mayo? (Jordan’s zero cal Skinny Syrups and Walden Farms products have rocked my world. Kraft has a 15cal mayo that’s fantastic.)
    Think outside the box.

Or….I wouldn’t normally recommend trying to out-exercise a weight loss, but you are so close we’re talking very small number here. Could you add in a mile walk per day? At a brisk pace that’s less than a twenty minute commitment (or appx one episode of the No Such Thing As a Fish podcast).

Or can you do a combination of cutting back on the food a wee bit and adding in a twenty minute video workout? There’s tons of them on MFP.

“Clean” foods and diets have no meaning at all. I could easily gain weight even eating what I eat now, in quantities I ate before. I do now eat a lot of fresh fruit, a pound of veggies per day, but I also take advantage of zero cal and sugar free products. My health is so vastly improved after losing nearly a hundred pounds, any “risk” or worry about using these products is laughable to me now.

Don’t try to make a bunch of changes at once. Sit down and think this out. Be mindful. Read these boards. Think to yourself “what if I ate this instead of that?”

Give yourself the grace to screw up without self punishing thoughts. Permit yourself to have treats, just limit the quantities.

Get the trigger foods out of the house. Or into the freezer. I’m a lot less likely to have some foods if they’re frozen because it’s just too much hassle to wait for them to thaw when I want them right then. (Looking at you, chocolate covered marzipan. In the cupboard it wouldn’t last five minutes. In the freezer it made it nine months. Nobody wants to break a tooth on frozen marzipan!)

My personal salvation is a sugar free chai latte. It takes a while to make, takes a while to drink, is very satisfying and I can usually stave off thoughts of food while having one.

Snackish? Go did a walk and see if you’re still peckish when you get back.

Sometimes we mistake dehydration as hunger cues. Have a glass of water, maybe add a Nuun tablet, wait ten minutes and see if you’re still hungry.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond ☺️. This is all fantastic advice 😊. I no I mentioned above that I’ve gained 7lbs I’m that picture but I never got to my goal in the first place 😕 altogether I have 15lbs to loose now. I no it’s not a tremendous about but it’s the most I’ve ever had to loose even after my boys were born I only had 8lbs to loose.
    3 years ago I got put on anxiety medication which has unfortunately given me a tremendous appetite 😕. It’s been so hard to loose weight while taking them and in the 3 years of trying to loose weight I have never got to my goal. I no it’s because I’m not trying hard enough with the food side of things. Even though I really want this more than anything so I don’t understand myself which I no probably sounds crazy. I haven’t made loads of changes at once i have been doing it but by bit.
    The biggest change ive made recently is cutting out coke I was drinking 4-5 cans a day. I haven’t had one or any soda for a little over a week now but it hasn’t made any difference on the scale 😕.
    In regards to exercise I work out 6 days a week. I do weights every other day and in between I do spin, step class, and hiit.

Wow 100lbs?? That’s incredible!! You must be so proud of yourself!
  • Looking so forward to starting to lift once COVID eases and I get past the breast reduction. I can tell from just the yoga I'm doing that the wings on my arms will shrink up, no problem, and I hope that the skin on my legs will too. (I had three large babies and am short waisted; pretty sure that's a abdominoplasty.)
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member

I've been working on my 15-20 lbs gained when I got my masters degree online at night after working & being a mom all day. Only changes I've made is to consciously up my protein, especially at breakfast, strength train 1-2x per week, and dance class 1x per week. I've lost 2.5" from my waist & 2" from my love handles since January. I don't count calories or even count my macros. I just ask myself where my protein is in every meal. I mostly do meat & 1 protein drink a day.

And while strength training does not burn many calories during the workout, having more muscle on your body takes more calories to maintain, so you'll be burning more calories throughout they day. There are a lot of epicaloric factors that affect what your body does with the food you put in your mouth that the MFP "community" doesn't discuss much. I have really enjoyed reading the book Eat Smarter by Shawn Stevenson.

Good luck!
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Great Job...love lifting weights!
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member
    edited October 2021

My personal salvation is a sugar free chai latte. It takes a while to make, takes a while to drink, is very satisfying and I can usually stave off thoughts of food while having one.

@ Springlering62 - Please share your recipe. Thanks!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    edited October 2021

I use a two-cup mug:

*Boiling water
    *2tbsp fat free half and half
    *15-30gr (to taste) Jordan’s zero cal Salted Caramel syrup
    *3gr Blue Lotus instant Masala Chai

Mix well with spoon

1/8c skim milk frothed in a Ninja hand pump frother and microwaved 25-30 seconds (microwaving “sets” the froth so it will last a long time)

Pour on top, sprinkle with cinnamon (Frontier Coop Vietnamese cinnamon is THE best, tastes lavishly sugary without the sugar)

Smells like heaven, takes a while to drink, satisfies the sweet tooth. The only thing with calories is the milk and half and half.

If I’m in a rush, I skip all the dairy and froth and use half a cup Silk plain cashew milk (13 cal).

uee7kw5cd9xt.jpeg

Trader Joe’s has a decent chai tea bag, but Blue Lotus is head and shoulders above, even though it’s an instant. Its real spices, but super finely ground. Amazon has the small tins. I buy it by the pound now.
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member

I use a two-cup mug:

*Boiling water
    *2tbsp fat free half and half
    *15-30gr (to taste) Jordan’s zero cal Salted Caramel syrup
    *3gr Blue Lotus instant Masala Chai

Mix well with spoon

1/8c skim milk frothed in a Ninja hand pump frother and microwaved 25-30 seconds (microwaving “sets” the froth so it will last a long time)

Pour on top, sprinkle with cinnamon (Frontier Coop Vietnamese cinnamon is THE best, tastes lavishly sugary without the sugar)

Smells like heaven, takes a while to drink, satisfies the sweet tooth. The only thing with calories is the milk and half and half.

If I’m in a rush, I skip all the dairy and froth and use half a cup Silk plain cashew milk (13 cal).

uee7kw5cd9xt.jpeg

Trader Joe’s has a decent chai tea bag, but Blue Lotus is head and shoulders above, even though it’s an instant. Its real spices, but super finely ground. Amazon has the small tins. I buy it by the pound now.

Thank you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!