Anyone doing a VLCD (very low calorie diet)?

13»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Nothing but shakes and bars, and then low fat cottage cheese for dinner? :noway:

As others have said, this is not sustainable - what happens when you go back to eating real food? What will happen to your metabolism after eating such low cals for so long? Does this diet leave you with any energy for workouts or daily life?? How do you celebrate a birthday - protein bar with a candle stuck in it? What about weddings? Holidays, vacations, special events?? Either indulge and feel guilty or pull another protein bar out of your purse while everyone else eats a nice dinner....

Not to mention that eating this low will likely cause you to lose muscle in whatever weight you drop, leaving you with a smaller, but still soft and squishy body, not the fit, firm rockin' bod you are probably hoping for.

No thanks.

Temporary changes = temporary results.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Man it's going to be a BUMMER when you guys gain all the weight back. And you will. You will. :frown:

QFT

I always wonder why you never see success stories on the forums that did this VLCD, must be a reason...can't pin point it though...

Its because the people on these VLCD end up going rouge and eating their own limbs and cannot type their success stories on the forum because typing with your nose is hard.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    This is sad.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    I am so thankful I was never introduced to VLCD when I was morbidly obese. I did start my journey eating slightly lower than I do now, but I'm so thankful and happy that I am losing while eating 1800-2500 calories daily! I'm pretty sure I'd be homicidal if I tried to live on 800 calories or cottage cheese for supper. I had a 400 calorie fruit salad in a mixing bowl yesterday lol.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    what a terrible and miserable way to live. I genuinely feel bad for you that you think this is THE way to lose weight. 800 calories a day? that's it? where do you get energy? are you working out? what happens when you quit this "diet"? you're gonna gain back every ounce you lost and more. Why not just eat right and exercise?

Do some research and you will see that this is a bad idea!
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    I did a doctor monitored VLCD and lost 80 lbs over several months and am doing very well. The way you keep it off is the exact same way you keep it off after any diet, you eat the amount of calories to maintain your current weight. I ate real food along with some supplemental protein shakes. I would recommend getting some fresh fruit and vegetables into your diet. Berries are low carb and low calorie, as are salads and a large assortment of other fruits and vegetables. I also ate egg beaters pretty much daily, and made sure to get a healthy fat in every day (2 tsp olive oil, 12 almonds or 1/2 small avocado). Now I maintain a healthy weight at 2000 calories a day or more with exercise. I have cut out all refined sugar and white flour, and eat a ton of fresh fruit and vegetables, along with lean meat, whole grains, lowfat dairy, and drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water a day. I don't discuss my diet often because of the inevitable bashing, but you CAN safely lose weight this way and keep it off. However, it should ALWAYS be done under a doctor's care to make sure you are getting adequate nutrients and maintaining your health.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Your spleen called, it wants a peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132

Does the peanut butter have more than four ingredients and was the sandwich made my someone who wears makeup to the gym? I'm fairly certain we can hit all the fun topics in this one thread if we try really hard.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

Does the peanut butter have more than four ingredients and was the sandwich made my someone who wears makeup to the gym? I'm fairly certain we can hit all the fun topics in this one thread if we try really hard.

It was made by someone hot, or not, and someone that somebody would bang, date, or marry.
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    I only eat about 30 calories a day. But then again, I don't count meat, fruits or veggies.

:laugh:
  • I have had weight loss surgery and eat less than 1000 calories every day. My goal is set at 900 calories and until recently did not get more than 500 or 600 calories a day. It can be complicated. You're welcome to friend me if you like! Best of luck!!

Janine Alfke
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Re vlcd ....I hope you're working with a doctor. You'll need one. And the weight you lose? It will be back and bring friends with it. Been there, done that, don't want the tshirt anymore.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Re vlcd ....I hope you're working with a doctor. You'll need one. And the weight you lose? It will be back and bring friends with it. Been there, done that, don't want the tshirt anymore.

Yep. Been there, done that twice. Clearly I only learn lessons the hard way. I wish I never wasted my time and money.

7396232.png
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.