German volume training

selina884
selina884 Posts: 826 Member
Anyone had any experience of this workout method?

I sampled it this week and my body is like a broken old woman.
I have decided to do it for a month and will be taking before and after pictures.

I am thinking of increasing my calories closer to maintenance too, good/bad idea? (I am on a cut)

were you impressed with the results?
Did you bump up your calories?

Replies

• selina884
    Nobody :(
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    I've never done it, but it's not something to do if you are trying to lose weight. You need a good caloric surplus due to the volume of the workouts. It's more of something to use if you are on a bulk cycle.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    ^This. It was used by German athletes as a training program to help them move up in a weight class.
  • selina884
    I've never done it, but it's not something to do if you are trying to lose weight. You need a good caloric surplus due to the volume of the workouts. It's more of something to use if you are on a bulk cycle.

This is the argument I didnt really want to get into.

however on a bulk I would be maximising strength gains, not racking up 10 sets on average intensity reps.
  • selina884
    ^This. It was used by German athletes as a training program to help them move up in a weight class.

I give up.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    just trying to help. good luck.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Curious..why are you doing a program with so much volume if youre on a cut?
  • grantdumas7

however on a bulk I would be maximising strength gains, not racking up 10 sets on average intensity reps.
    GVT works a little different than other programs for bulking or adding size. In a nutshell it works by adaption.
    I have personally tried it a few yrs ago. It didn't really work for me. I didn't add that much size (I know not your goal). I should have ate a little more. I was actually weaker for a little while. I use using suboptimal weights for a few weeks. I got bored of it. Doing 10x10 for any exercise is boring to me.
  • selina884

GVT works a little different than other programs for bulking or adding size. In a nutshell it works by adaption.
    I have personally tried it a few yrs ago. It didn't really work for me. I didn't add that much size (I know not your goal). I should have ate a little more. I was actually weaker for a little while. I use using suboptimal weights for a few weeks. I got bored of it. Doing 10x10 for any exercise is boring to me.

Hello thanks for responding.
    No, thats fine, Im curious to learn of other peoples experiences.

Ive sampled it this week and need to eat MUCH more in order to survive, lol.

I've decided to up my calories to maintenance next week and then increase by 200-300 the week after if necessary.

The worst exercises = squats and deadlifts.

I do think I may get a little bored but I'm running it for 4 weeks so I need to persevere.
  • grantdumas7

Hello thanks for responding.
    No, thats fine, Im curious to learn of other peoples experiences.

Ive sampled it this week and need to eat MUCH more in order to survive, lol.

I've decided to up my calories to maintenance next week and then increase by 200-300 the week after if necessary.

The worst exercises = squats and deadlifts.

I do think I may get a little bored but I'm running it for 4 weeks so I need to persevere.
    Generally deads are not recommend for GVT because of how easily the lower back fatigues. Deads are best kept in the lower rep range.