Bad dog...

13»

Replies

• Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    I would say it is totally due to lack of stimulation and excersise right now. My dog walks with me for 5-6 hours a day so he of course sleeps ALL the time when in the house. I understand most people can not have this luxury.

I am a dog walker and most of my clients do not have their dogs crated during the day but they need me for 45min-1 hour mid day so their dogs are more settled in the house. For my more active dogs their owners are also walking them for 30 min before work and an 1 hour after work. So a 30 min walk is nothing for a Pit...2 hours minimum. Also make your dog use his brain its not always about going for a walk. Hide things for him to find, play catch, maybe agility or a sport that you could play with him on the weekends. Pits are also big chewers so as many of the other people have said give him lots to chew on and play with while you are not there....stufedf kongs, stuffed bones..etc.

What do you do when you come in and see something chewed???

If you think it is seperation anxiety related then try leaving him for shorter periods (30 min when you go to the store) and work up to leaving him longer. Also try to not be with him ALL THE TIME when you are home. Most everyone does this...my dog is on my knee or at my feet 24-7. However, if a dog shows seperation anxiety you should sometimes have him in another room when you are home (just for short periods) to show him its okay to be without you etc.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I cannot tell you why he started chewing, any more than anyone else can. I suspect he is bored and anxious being alone. But, I do know that many would tell you just to make sure he has lots of things available that he can chew, at least at this time, until you can figure out what to do. Maybe get one of those toys that you can put the peanut butter in, that will really get his attention and keep it for a while.
    Also, most puppies chew. But, most dogs don't. They usually outgrow it to a large extent. So, don't despair. We have a kelpie (a working sheep dog). She chewed every piece of wood furniture we own -- sometimes just one test bite -- for her first six or seven months. Now she never chews anything.
    You could also look at "Dogs for Dummies" by Gina Spadafori. She's got all kinds of advice for behavior problems like this.
    Or www.cesarsway.com has an article on "5 steps to correct inappropriate dog chewing."
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Did anyone mention vinegar spray or bitter-apple spray yet? You put it on the things the dog is likely to chew that you don't want ruined. They learn to be careful before chewing, supposedly.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    webcam the room while you re out and remember a dog can hear loads more than us and it could be anything that triggers him off but you should be able to work it out ...

car, plane, rain on widows, thunder, horn, doorbell, phone, mail delivery other dogs distant bark etc etc....
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Just a thought for exercise. I don't know how your pup feels about water. i have 3 Lab mixes (all rescues) that love it. In the winter months when they don't get enough exercise I found a Doggy Aquatic Center by me. I try to take them every other week. It's something like 15 minutes of swimming for a dog is like running for 2 miles. Not sure on the exactness but I know when I get mine home they sleep for 3 days!

That's a really good idea! We sometimes take him to the creek or lake to swim, he does enjoy it.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    I would say it is totally due to lack of stimulation and excersise right now. My dog walks with me for 5-6 hours a day so he of course sleeps ALL the time when in the house. I understand most people can not have this luxury.

I am a dog walker and most of my clients do not have their dogs crated during the day but they need me for 45min-1 hour mid day so their dogs are more settled in the house. For my more active dogs their owners are also walking them for 30 min before work and an 1 hour after work. So a 30 min walk is nothing for a Pit...2 hours minimum. Also make your dog use his brain its not always about going for a walk. Hide things for him to find, play catch, maybe agility or a sport that you could play with him on the weekends. Pits are also big chewers so as many of the other people have said give him lots to chew on and play with while you are not there....stufedf kongs, stuffed bones..etc.

What do you do when you come in and see something chewed???

If you think it is seperation anxiety related then try leaving him for shorter periods (30 min when you go to the store) and work up to leaving him longer. Also try to not be with him ALL THE TIME when you are home. Most everyone does this...my dog is on my knee or at my feet 24-7. However, if a dog shows seperation anxiety you should sometimes have him in another room when you are home (just for short periods) to show him its okay to be without you etc.

About an hour and a half is more typical, its just that the past few days it has been rainy and he doesn't like the rain. I was thinking this decrease in exercise might be the reason for the increased chewing. From all of your comments it seems like that's most likely.

When I walk in and find something chewed, I stand over it and say "bad boy" or just "bad"....He puts his head down and sulks away. It almost seems like he knows it was bad. I know this isn't necessarily the case, but he knows I am upset about it and can sense that. I don't stick him in his crate, because it is not intended as a place for punishment, but I will put him in a different room while I clean up whatever mess has been made.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225

Exercised means he is passed out on the floor with his tongue hanging out. I know I have well behaved, exercised doggies when after a big drink of water they pass out on the floor.

This was him last night! He stretches out on the tile, that's how I know I got to him! We ran for about 20 minutes then took another hour walk, that definitely did the trick.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    Something else that works for car sickness is having a lot of bedding underneath the dog so he doesn't feel the vibrations/ motion so much. We have an old duvet in the back of the car for our dogs, but an old sleeping bag would do the trick.

ive seen these on the internet, I was thinking about getting one as a puke guard. But that's a smart idea too. Thank you
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    He's not a bad dog, He's probably bored. Do you have a neighbor or relative that can take him during the day or just visit and take him for a long walk? Is there any way you can put him outside on a relatively long leash?

I know he's not. I've thought about asking my landlord who lives next door, but he is older...and Rocco is VERY strong. I wouldn't want him or anyone to get hurt. Ill probably do some asking around or try to find a walker.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    Frozen kongs with peanut butter and dog food help too.

This is his favorite treat :) He loves peanut butter!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Did anyone mention vinegar spray or bitter-apple spray yet? You put it on the things the dog is likely to chew that you don't want ruined. They learn to be careful before chewing, supposedly.

And when I have a puppy, I put a drop of a scent on all of their toys every few days. That way they associate the scent with things that are theirs to chew on. The last time I did this I was using a duck scent that I got from a sporting goods store. I do think it helps. If you did both of these things at the same time that might be a powerful way of communicating what you want through scent.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Frozen kongs with peanut butter and dog food help too.

This is his favorite treat :) He loves peanut butter!

I've also frozen actual bones, with and without PB, and they last longer that way, too.