REFEED'S-over coming a plateau

2»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    A lot of good information on refeeds on this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820526-thoughts-information-on-refeeds
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    "As folks get very lean, down to the last pounds of fat, the skin and fat cells that are left will often change appearance and texture. It will look dimply (as the fat cells which are supporting the skin shrink and the skin isn’t supported) and feel squishy to the touch. This is bad in that it looks really weird, but it’s good because it means that the fat is going away. I have nothing truly profound to say about this topic, just realizes that it happens and usually indicates good things are happening." --from the article OP gave the link to.

^^this is kinda cool to know.

yeah, i was thinking the same thing. i was actually begining to think that i was getting little cycsts in my upper thighs! they are not as profoun as marbles, but defineatley bumpy where there was once alot of fat! (not cellulite bumpy either... like, actual cycst bumpy in the areas that were once very fat! well under the skin though, you cant see it, only can feel it...)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    double post!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    So would this be the day to get in my Cheetos, Cake, and to just generally take care of my cravings?

Not necessarily. The purpose is to enhance the results of a low-calorie diet by adding extra healthy carbs to the diet to "wake up" your metabolism. A refeed is not to be confused with a cheat meal/day.
    A refeed is where you go up to your maintenance or a little over maintenance calories. The purpose of a re-feed day is to help boost your metabolism and help restore your Leptin hormone levels. (Leptin is the king of all fat burning hormones!)
    You say you're on 1,200 cals? I'm guessing that's a -500 deficit for you? So you would go up to around 2,000 calories. You keep fats low as possible, moderate protein, and all the rest of your calories would be carbs. Basically its a day where you load up on as much carbs as possible while keeping fat as low as possible, and moderate protein.
    And no, its not a day where you can eat however much you want, all that will do is set you back.

Yep^. A cheat day and a refeed are not the same thing BUT you can get the same results. Same with carb cycling. You get a spike in leptin on the higher carb days. Leptin does not burn fat but signals the body that you are getting enough calories to keep metabolism up.

Weight loss will still come down to calorie deficit. Dont binge on the weekend and undo a whole weeks worth of dieting and call it a refeed. You are just slowing down your progress. You would be better off with a smaller deficit throughout the week and one day where you go to maintenance. Starving all week and then having a free for all day is not really healthy IMO.
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Bump
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 308 Member
    Bump
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    bump
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Bump!