At A standstill? I have the Secret: LIFT HEAVY, GIRLS! (Pic)

13»

Replies

• Chrissysftns
    Chrissysftns Posts: 113 Member
    what do you consider a heavy weight?? I started with 5's, I'm on 15 pound dumbbells right now and going to be doing 17.5 pounds next week??

What you consider a heavy weight really just varies from person to person. A heavy weight for shoulder presses to me is 25lbs...but bicep curls I use 17.5-20..it all just depends :) I make it heavy enough to where I fail by the 10 rep though!
  • Chrissysftns
    Chrissysftns Posts: 113 Member
    AWESOME! I am over 40 and started heavy lifting two weeks ago. I have a solid fitness base but want to really push to see how much I can polish up these old bones. Can't wait to see my progress after six weeks.

Someone in this thread was asking about how to define "heavy lifting." My trainer has me lifting heavy enough that I can't perform more that 8-12 reps. Then, he will add more weight until I am still able to maintain proper form but can't perform more than about 6-8 reps.... Then he lightens it to the previous weight and I go again. [This varies by exercise, but this is the general idea.] When you challenge your muscles to exhaustion, you add muscle and build strength rather than simply toning the muscle you have. More muscle means a faster burning metabolism.

Women start to lose muscle mass after the age of 30 and really start to experience muscle loss in their 40's. Heavy lifting can increase muscle mass even in older women. Plus, who doesn't want to be strong?!

This^^ and Keep up the good work!
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Awesome and very inspirational!
  • _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    That's terrific! Keep up your good work.
  • ErnieVandy
    ErnieVandy Posts: 31 Member
    Do you have the program to share? I need to start lifting myself since I'm 43. I have been running and doing Turbo Fire. I can tell I'm toning up but still the same weight. I would like to add a lifting program to my cardio. Thanks. You look amazing!
  • michie27
    michie27 Posts: 450 Member
    Amazing progress!! Keep up the great work!
  • jflori
    jflori Posts: 25
    Good work! I need to work with weights more.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Nice work :)
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Great Job...keep at it you are doing AWESOME!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    GIRLS
    > PICK UP THE WEIGHTS AND LIFT HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hl3_zps95e9e47e.jpg

Yes, m'am!!!
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    You look amazing! Well done!
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    That is pretty amazing and reinforces weight training's benefits. Excellent job!
  • Renibee
    Renibee Posts: 55 Member
    You look awesome, thanks for sharing, I will definitely lift more!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!