Exercises to burn fat.

What are some exercises I can do at home that will strictly burn fat and not build any muscle?

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    I'd say walking.

But, it's very difficult to build muscle anyways, so even if you walked with weights, you won't build any.

This is my second time losing weight (had a child) and before him I was in fantastic shape. I could squat (3 sets of 12) with a 45lb bar and a 45lbs plat on each side. I could also bench press with the 45lbs bar with about 15lbs on each side for a full set of reps 3 times.

It's very difficult to build muscle as a woman, we just aren't "built" to do it.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Anything that does not have you progressively increasing the load on your muscles. Of course along with not gaining muscle you might also consider not losing muscle. If you want to lose weight and don't care about maintaining muscle mass, just eat less. It saves time and money.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Only walking. Or Running. What do you have against muscle?
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    sex. lots and lots of sex.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    You do realize that the more muscle you have the more food you can eat? Muscle increases your BMR so it means more food.

Like above said, don't need to exercise if you just want to lose weight. It will come off with diet, along with lean muscle if you don't do resistance exercises.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    anything that makes you move! walking, Running, weights are fine just do more reps with less weight. Any cardio routine. I use Xbox sports to workout.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    this is going to depend more on how much you are eating rather than the actual exercise. exercise for the most part burns glycogen. if you eat at a deficit then there is less glycogen to burn which means your body will turn to burning fat. i'm oversimplifying the process a bit but hopefully you get the idea.

the best exercises i've found for burning fat are (along with eating on a calorie deficit) doing HIIT sessions with sprints and lifting heavy weights. fat is being burned, no muscle is being created and most of the muscle i have is being saved which is important when eating on a deficit for an extended amount of time
  • treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    cardio
  • Mainly cardio whether it's running, walking, dancing, hoping...you get the point.
    Strength training (weights) also burns fat and you wont gain muscle from it unless you're increasing your caloric intake and/or lifting really really heavy!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    this is going to depend more on how much you are eating rather than the actual exercise. exercise for the most part burns glycogen. if you eat at a deficit then there is less glycogen to burn which means your body will turn to burning fat. i'm oversimplifying the process a bit but hopefully you get the idea.

the best exercises i've found for burning fat are (along with eating on a calorie deficit) doing HIIT sessions with sprints and lifting heavy weights. fat is being burned, no muscle is being created and most of the muscle i have is being saved which is important when eating on a deficit for an extended amount of time

Actually the source of fuel for exercise depends on the nature of the exercise, but that is pretty much irrelavent. Cals burned are cals burned.
  • jenna066
    jenna066 Posts: 28
    HIIT & lifting weights!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    What are some exercises I can do at home that will strictly burn fat and not build any muscle?
    Exercise DOESN'T just burn strictly fat. And if you don't want to build muscle, stay in calorie deficit and don't do high volume training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Thanks for all the responses, guys.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Cardio, a lot of it. Interval training, bursts with little rest. Look into Insanity and just do the cardio workouts