Is it me or...

Options
Am I the only person that gains weight during their menstruation cycle? Like I have been moderating myself the last couple of weeks and within one day of my period I have gained two pounds. I know some say it is water weight but I'm worried it is not going to go away.

Replies

• fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Nope! It's not you - I gain 2 pounds every single time. It does go away, I promise!! If you drink more water and eat less sodium it helps though :D

EDIT: Don't be worried about taking my word for it because of my ticker, haha. I've really lost 22 pounds :)
  • wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The hormones are going crazy. You're honestly just retaining fluids. It's the woe of being a girl, but it should go away within a few days. Plus it's IMPOSSIBLE to gain two pounds in 24 hours. Unless you eat like 10,000+ cals. haha
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-5 lbs in the PMS week...the week before my period. It's horrible...
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    doh...
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The hormones are going crazy. You're honestly just retaining fluids. It's the woe of being a girl, but it should go away within a few days. Plus it's IMPOSSIBLE to gain two pounds in 24 hours. Unless you eat like 10,000+ cals. haha

Basically this. All it is, is water weight. You'll notice it in your ankles and your fingers mostly as they hang down. No one gains actual weight overnight.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that gains weight during their menstruation cycle? Like I have been moderating myself the last couple of weeks and within one day of my period I have gained two pounds. I know some say it is water weight but I'm worried it is not going to go away.

Of course not, this happens to a lot of women, myself included.

The way I understand it (and I could be wrong, but) during/before your cycle, your body tends to hold onto water weight, and you may tend to crave a lot more sugary or sweet foods. Everyone's body is different though, so it depends.

It should usually go away after your period has ended.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Pffft I avoid the scale like the plague when it's my ToTM. I bloat, too.
    It goes away right after the week is over though.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    sometimes i gain between 5-10 pounds
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    No you're not the only one, I do too!
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    I use to. Haven't had my menstrual cycle in about 13 months! When you get down under about 15% body fat a lot of women lose it! Doc assured me it'll go back to normal when my body normalizes at this body fat. Hope so! Getting married in February and babies shortly after!!!
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I gain 3-4 pounds of a week or so. You are not alone!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-6 every time, but if I continue to eat responsibly, it drops off easily with the bonus of whatever I was would have lost in that time frame if my hormones hadn't annoyed my body.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I've actually not had a period for 8 months because of my contraceptive implant but it started 3 days ago so I'm really worried I'll put weight on...