waist size problem

hello! im new here and i am 170cm , weight 68kg (healthy BMI) but i have a 33 inches waist(around 20% body fat) =( i wonder is it normal?
my friend weight more than me but his waist size are smaller...
i've been trying to lose weight and i lost around 10kg in 4 month but my waist only went down to 33 from 34
what's happening? 10 kg only 1 inches of waist size? is it normal ? how do i get rit of my tummy fat =(?

Replies

• lloydwawa
    lloydwawa Posts: 7
    bump please help :laugh:
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Maybe your problem isn't fat, maybe you need toning
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    You can't change your genetic shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lloydwawa
    You can't change your genetic shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    so what should i do now? should i stick on my diet plan?
    i eat around 1500 calorie per day and i play 1hr of basketballs (5days per week)
    or maybe i should do something else?
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    As a male with 20% body fat, you can surely drop it to a much lower percentage. Start lifting and lift heavy. As your overall bf decreases, your waistline will eventually get smaller as well. You can't spot reduce but eating healthy helps with abs.
  • lloydwawa
    As a male with 20% body fat, you can surely drop it to a much lower percentage. Start lifting and lift heavy. As your overall bf decreases, your waistline will eventually get smaller as well. You can't spot reduce but eating healthy helps with abs.
    thanks for the advice!
    how much % of body fat for a 170cm male to look well?
  • xarge

It depends on how you want to look. Hollywood hunks you see are usually around 7-8% if not less. Having a low body fat does not necessarily mean you'll look too muscular. You need to invest in those muscles to bulk them first so you can stop and maintain pretty much anywhere you want.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Men's fit range is 14-17%.
  • lloydwawa

It depends on how you want to look. Hollywood hunks you see are usually around 7-8% if not less. Having a low body fat does not necessarily mean you'll look too muscular. You need to invest in those muscles to bulk them first so you can stop and maintain pretty much anywhere you want.
    i just dont want my tummy to be shown too obviously lol :3
    my arm and legs are not too fat but OMG i hate my tummy =(
    will cardio help on losing bf? i play basketball sometimes and currently im on diet...
  • xarge

You're 18, don't worry about that tummy and get good exercise habit, you'll lose that tummy along the way ;)
    Start with better eating habits. Some people could disagree but for me lowering (not cutting) carbs (complex carbs as well) is the fastest way to see that tummy fat go. Eat more lean meat, whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, eggs, low fat dairy, choose your fats wisely don't take them from deep fried food. Stay from refined sugars as much as you can. Drink plenty of water and it can't go wrong.

If you eat at a deficit while lifting, you won't be building a noticeable amount of muscle but if you want to get some muscles you will need to eat at a surplus.

Cardio lets you have a larger calorie expenditure compared to resistance training. But if you're already eating low and spend even more calories with cardio, you will lose more muscles than you want to and end up skinny fat, in that case tummy may still hang out with you.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    maybe you are bloated and just dont realise it...check your diet, things like grain, white flour etc can cause bloating in many people
  • lloydwawa

You're 18, don't worry about that tummy and get good exercise habit, you'll lose that tummy along the way ;)
    Start with better eating habits. Some people could disagree but for me lowering (not cutting) carbs (complex carbs as well) is the fastest way to see that tummy fat go. Eat more lean meat, whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, eggs, low fat dairy, choose your fats wisely don't take them from deep fried food. Stay from refined sugars as much as you can. Drink plenty of water and it can't go wrong.

If you eat at a deficit while lifting, you won't be building a noticeable amount of muscle but if you want to get some muscles you will need to eat at a surplus.

Cardio lets you have a larger calorie expenditure compared to resistance training. But if you're already eating low and spend even more calories with cardio, you will lose more muscles than you want to and end up skinny fat, in that case tummy may still hang out with you.
    i eat around 1500 calorie per day and does 1 hour or basketball training so i dont think i use more than i eat...
    hmm so now i should start building muscle or keep going on the cardio+diet?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    posting a picture would help greatly.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    I would also suggest just toning up by lifting heavy weight b/c it will slim you all over and give you a nice sleek look...IMO..

Also, here is a site that may help you find out a healthy BF% for a man:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html#accurate

Best of luck to you!!! :)
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Everyone's shape is different. A friend of mine and I weight the same, but she's more of a pear shape (tiny upper body, curvy hips and thighs) and I'm more of an hourglass (broad shoulders and hips, tiny waist). Once you understand what your shape is, you can understand what is normal for you.

Also to get rid of tummy fat: cardio exercises! You can't just do crunches.
  • lloydwawa
    I would also suggest just toning up by lifting heavy weight b/c it will slim you all over and give you a nice sleek look...IMO..

Also, here is a site that may help you find out a healthy BF% for a man:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html#accurate

Best of luck to you!!! :)
    well i do want to tone it up but i don't have much time for gym
    maybe 2 times each week , i wonder is it enough :(?
    and thanks for the website!! :)