The gym that causes me marriage stress!!

Replies

• likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Ugh, I can't stand women.

This is why I'm glad my ex no longer comes to our (my kids and I) taekwondo class. He is just like your wife. I can't deal with all that emo crap.

Wow "I can't stand women". Now who's being emo?

Explain to me how me not liking women makes me emo? Please, enlighten me. I'm sorry if my statement offended you but the honest truth I can't stand most women. They are emotional and clingy and base their self worth on what others think of them. The emotional well being of another able bodied adult is not my responsibility.

Kind of an over-generalization of the entire female populace, no?
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member

zumba.jpg

This picture made my life.

hahaha Superb!!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Lets get this right. You're partner, enjoys fitness, wants to get fit with you and go to the gym with you and do some Zumba and no doubt some lifting with you and you're against it?!

Um, I love lifting with girlfriends, esp my ex, xprincessx here from MFP. They normally train harder and give less crap than blokes who often fanny around and do naff ego lifting.

I honestly cannot see the problem!

BTW i'm a 250lb super heavy weight bodybuilder who competes and is sponsored by Gaspari Nutrition so I'm no chap made of skin and bones saying this so there is no real excuses that you can't beyond you're just thinking of yourself!
  • ChristaFall
    ChristaFall Posts: 72 Member
    Lets get this right. You're partner, enjoys fitness, wants to get fit with you and go to the gym with you and do some Zumba and no doubt some lifting with you and you're against it?!

Um, I love lifting with girlfriends, esp my ex, xprincessx here from MFP. They normally train harder and give less crap than blokes who often fanny around and do naff ego lifting.

BTW i'm a 250lb super heavy weight bodybuilder who competes and is sponsored by Gaspari Nutrition so I'm no chap made of skin and bones saying this so there is no real excuses that you can't beyond you're just thinking of yourself!

Finally!!! :flowerforyou:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member

Cool story bro. Biggest problem was she wasn't wanting to lift, she was wanting to use it for social hour. If she actually wanted to lift properly I could handle it. As for Gaspari, I know Alex and Sean, I'm not sure who you are. From your profile picture you are pretty big but just not a rep for them I know.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Mate, I'm glad you know a few guys but thats me fella - http://www.gasparinutrition.co.uk/195.html - There is no cool story, its actual fact and I have been for a few years now :smile:

Now why ask if you don't want opinions? I gave you my honest opinion and you give attitude? I'm sorry you feel that way but it shows your decision is made, you just want approval for you decision from people but I dare say why ask if your opinion is made up?

If her lifting could be improved ask her to do so rather than reject it, as I say I LOVE lifting with the women in my life and it pushes me harder, not less. Its an hour extra with the woman you love. I honestly don't see the problem.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    I go to the gym with my husband sometimes. Usually we do our own thing and meet up when its over. Sometimes he tries to talk to me while I'm going hard on the treadmill. I find that a bit annoying. But what I do love about going to the gym together is checking him out across the room and admiring his form. He seems to get a kick out of doing that to me too and occasionally I catch someone behind me telling me how sexy I look when I sweat. So you can make this work for you. Be mindful of each others goals. I wouldn't dare ask him to do Zumba. If I do classes I try to take them while he's lifting. I don't compromise my program for him and don't expect him to do that either.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    In the gym my husband and I go our separate ways. He does his thing and I do mine. I don't like talking and neither does he so it works out perfectly.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    My husband is a powerlifter, and while I'm totally comfortable with the weights, I like a fair amount of cardio too. He would DIE (and probably take me with him) if I ever signed him up for Zumba.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Quite the story :P I would NEVER make my bf go to zumba with me, he told me he isn't into that kind of thing and I respect it. Maybe make a ritual of going for a run together once a week?

Hopefully if you explain to her that lifting is your alone time - she'll understand and respect your space. Definitely hold your ground!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Mate, I'm glad you know a few guys but thats me fella - http://www.gasparinutrition.co.uk/195.html - There is no cool story, its actual fact and I have been for a few years now :smile:

Now why ask if you don't want opinions? I gave you my honest opinion and you give attitude? I'm sorry you feel that way but it shows your decision is made, you just want approval for you decision from people but I dare say why ask if your opinion is made up?

If her lifting could be improved ask her to do so rather than reject it, as I say I LOVE lifting with the women in my life and it pushes me harder, not less. Its an hour extra with the woman you love. I honestly don't see the problem.

It's a sore subject, this was an old post that got re-bumped awhile back. Felt like you were giving me some attitude. (Maybe I spend too much time on bb.com and am.com) Plus there is a whole separate update you missed where you'd see I tried a lot of this.
  • This was funny lol
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    You are not a jerk, you are adorable. Just keep gently explaining how important your concentration is when you get into your workout and maybe take her out for a smoothie afterward?
    Couples need to pace themselves if they are gonna last. You are not wrong.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    My wife comes with me... so far the ONLY downfalls are that she is deadset on forcing me into cardio days (which I need) and it takes longer because while she WANTS to lift (yay) we have to strip the weights for every set. It's ok though, we're working around that "problem" by going earlier to get most of her lifts in before hand (it also gives me a chance to warm up)

Compromise is key here.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    i think maybe ur wife feels as though ur marriage may be crumbling in a way and she may be using working out as a way to get closer to u..... she just wants to find something that BOTH of u can do together and LOVE... thats how i see it.... she may be feeling left out...
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    oh, dear, your wife is a safety hazard. she needs to know that if she distracts you, you could get SERIOUSLY hurt.

no, you are not a bad guy for not wanting to work out without her, you need what you need. and she needs what she needs, too. and apparently she is lonely for you. if that is the case, maybe you could wine and dine her and behave like you did when you were dating. (or take her shopping for new 'workout' clothes and then when she looks all cute, introduce her to all your friends at the gym.)

but if she just likes to be the center of attention, that is going to be challenging to deal with.

i think her going to zumba while you lift is a great idea. you get to be in the same place, but not stuck to each other like glue. my husband has started going with me to the gym, he does his thing, i do mine. i'm not a runner like he is, and he won't be killing himself doing yoga any time soon!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    I don't want my fiance going to the gym with me..... that's my stress relief too and that would just be more stress!
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Oh my hell thanks for making me laugh so hard.. I'm at the airport waiting for my flight and everyone is staring at me cuz this made me laugh. Good thing I went to the bathroom before I read this, that would be embarrassing if I peed my pants
  • I plan to read through this whole post, but I need to get to the gym myself. My wife and I often go to the gym together, but only actually workout together maybe 25% of the time when our legs day matches up. Since the gym is only a mile from home, the fact that I like to workout a bit longer then her, means no problem adding the time, plus a mile jog home if I really want to workout that much longer (or she'll give in to my mood by staying on a cardio machine longer at a less intense pace).

I love that we go together, it keeps us on track. But there is none of what you're describing, because I wouldn't be talking about how much I like it if that was going on. My sympathies friend in how you deal with it, but it was a fun read.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    She just needs a female workout buddy.