4 - Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 - 8 oz. Can Hunt’s Tomato Sauce with Basil Garlic and Oregano
1 - 14.5 oz. Can Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes Original Recipe with Onions,
Celery and Green Peppers
2 - 15 ¼ oz. Cans Glory Foods Lower Sodium Tomatoes and Okra
3 - 15 oz. Cans Veg-All Original Mixed Vegtables No Salt Added
12 Cups Water
Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder and Garlic Powder to taste

Bowl chicken till done. Take chicken out of water and set aside to cool. Put add other ingredients and heat well. When chicken is cool, and while soup is heating, chop into bit size pieces. Place chicken pieces in zip bag and put in refrigater.

Yields 20 - 1 Cup Servings
Veggie soup with out chicken is 38 calories per 1 cup serving.
You will need to add the calories for the amount you add to your bowl of soup .

What I do is weigh the amout of chicken and add to my bowl of soup. If I want just the soup I don’t add the chicken. This way I can have chicken soup or veggie soup and I can use the chicken of other things like wraps or sandwiches etc….
This soup very filling and very simple to make. I made a big pot of it tonight.

Replies

• Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Veggie Soup with Okra and Tomatoes ~ With or Without Chicken ~ Your Choice

1 - ½ pounds Chicken Tenderloins - boneless skinless
    1 - Cup Chopped Onion
    4 - Chicken Bouillon Cubes
    1 - 8 oz. Can Hunt’s Tomato Sauce with Basil Garlic and Oregano
    1 - 14.5 oz. Can Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes Original Recipe with Onions,
    Celery and Green Peppers
    2 - 15 ¼ oz. Cans Glory Foods Lower Sodium Tomatoes and Okra
    3 - 15 oz. Cans Veg-All Original Mixed Vegtables No Salt Added
    12 Cups Water
    Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder and Garlic Powder to taste

Bowl chicken till done. Take chicken out of water and set aside to cool. Put add other ingredients and heat well. When chicken is cool, and while soup is heating, chop into bit size pieces. Place chicken pieces in zip bag and put in refrigater.

Yields 20 - 1 Cup Servings
    Veggie soup with out chicken is 38 calories per 1 cup serving.
    You will need to add the calories for the amount you add to your bowl of soup .

What I do is weigh the amout of chicken and add to my bowl of soup. If I want just the soup I don’t add the chicken. This way I can have chicken soup or veggie soup and I can use the chicken of other things like wraps or sandwiches etc….
    This soup very filling and very simple to make. I made a big pot of it tonight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    yuck. okra :noway:
  • cmriverside
    Sorry, Loretta -

I'm sure your soup is delicious.

(Bad slimy okra experience that didn't get resolved in therapy. :tongue: )

~cm
  • Loretta_Jo
    LOL
    This okra is not slimy and you can use another veggie like green beans or even another can of mixed veggies in place of the okra. I used it the first time because I didn’t have enough of the other veggies and found out that it was really good in the soup. But slimy nope it’s not. :bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou:
  • Hi cmriverside,
    Im fairly new and joined in Oct.
    Sept.11th I weighed 228 and was upset because I have a wedding to go to for my grandson Nov. 30th. I tried to lose weight myself [and did pretty good], but I knew I couldn't do it by myself.
    I joined MFP Oct. 21.
    I made basically the same soup and I used squash instead of the okra. Yellow or Zucchini.
    As of today I weigh 202.5 and I truely believe it was eating that soup once a day that helped me get this far.I also added A LITTLE pasta. Kind of a minestrone soup with chicken bits. try it , it works and very healthy and filling.
    Shirley
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Gotta agree with Cheryl on this one. I also had
    a gross okra experience. It can be slimy if
    cooked incorrectly, and then it tastes aweful
    and the texture in your mouth is just.....yeeeeeuck!!!

okra is ruined for me for life (and peaches, but that's for
    completely different reason!):ohwell:

but don't let us stop you, otherwise that soup sounds Wonderful!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Roflmao…
    Sorry for laughing. I am not laughing about your past problems with the okra. A lot of people wont eat it and that’s OK. Ya just make me giggle with what you said.
    The beauty of this soup is you can leave out and put in anything you want to. If you substitute something else for the okra just make sure it is low cal as well. If you use corn, peas or potatoes etc….. the calorie count will go up. But if that is what you would rather have in it by all means do so. Just figure in the extra calories. Play with this recipe…..make it your own creation.
    Leave the okra out and give it a try I think you will be glad you did. :bigsmile:
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    I grew up in the South... GO Okra!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Yeah I was raised on it too.
    As you know since you like it too. It isn't slimy in this recipe at all.
    But I do understand how some people just don’t want anything to do with it and I can respect that. We all like and dislike different things.
    But I am with you about the okra. I will eat it any o way ya cook it. Yummm :bigsmile:
  • traumarn
    traumarn Posts: 44 Member
    i will try the soup without the slimy okra.
  • Loretta_Jo
    lol OK :bigsmile:
  • perfect time of year for soup. Here in the south we cant wait for it to get cold... soup is a cozy feel good thing for us. some of us use okra (we call it okrie) and some dont. I leave it out of my soup cause my hubby doesnt like it.

Ironically, I had my chicken and pork cooking for my first pot of the winter when I stopped to read this topic. I put everything I can find in mine. :drinker:

I am not cooking cornbread this time... will have to make do with a few crackers instead.

I think that is one of my problems... traditional southern cooking in general. It is very good but very fattening.
  • Loretta_Jo
    I am in the south also mollymay so I know what you mean about the food here. I don’t cook anything like I use to.
    This soup is one of my own make it as you go recipes. If I change it up any I will need to recalculate the calories in it though. The turkey chili I posted is also my own recipe.
    We got to below freezing last night. It is the first time this season for us. We are going to have this soup for dinner again tonight. My husband and I both really like it and I don’t have to cook tonight. I really like that too. :bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    Gotta agree with Cheryl on this one. I also had
    a gross okra experience. It can be slimy if
    cooked incorrectly, and then it tastes aweful
    and the texture in your mouth is just.....yeeeeeuck!!!

okra is ruined for me for life (and peaches, but that's for
    completely different reason!):ohwell:

but don't let us stop you, otherwise that soup sounds Wonderful!

Banks LOL. How 'bout nectarines....too close?? Now I'm dying to know......peaches are always in my pantry.....
  • Loretta_Jo~ I'm definitely on your level:wink: ! Okra...is the BOMB!! My mom is from the south so...with that being said...I think I've had it every way there is to make it. Yummy!! I gotta try the soup you just suggested.

Naj:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.