Is running the best exercise?

I was having a conversation with my manager at work yesterday about fitness and i told her about my weight loss and that i did aerobics and kettlebells. I also walk alot every week. I told her that i wanted to try running, but that i get stitch even if i do it steady, like ill walk for abit, then jog, then walk. I cant seem to stop it from happening. She just went on to say that i was unfit (i know that) she also said that running is the best exercise for loosing alot of weight. She said the exercise i was doing was no good at all. Felt abit fed up as i exercise 5 days a week, and i think im doing quite well. I can tell my fitness levels are up as i can push myself more. Can anyone suggest a good way of getting better at running as i must be doing something wrong xx

Replies

• crafty30
    crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
    Hi!
    Any exercise is better than none! High impact aerobics is good and I have heard amazing things about kettlebells (Ive just bought some!)
    Walking is great too! Running is good, Im sure many people will suggest Couch to 5k..I do my own version of this, walk for a couple of minutes, run for a couple of minutes..I get a stitch too! But the more you do it the easier it will become.
    There are so many different exercises though so its finding out what you enjoy and what works best for you. A combination of cardio and strength training is the best, so you do whatever form of that you think suits you best! Don’t let your boss dishearten you, youre doing great!
    x
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Running is great for weight loss but certainly not the only method. Kettlebells are amazing for fat loss and toning combined but any exercise is better than none. You are doing brilliantly and don't let one person put you off. I assume this other person is a runners, runners cab be a bit single minded I should know. If you do want to run couch to 5 k is excellent, I had lots of problems when I started injuries, getting breathless stitch but persevered it does get easier. I am now training for a marathon if you need more help ask I am happy to talk about running, too enthusiastic sometimes LOL.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    First off, your manager is absolutely wrong... and you are doing is fine for weight loss. Nothing says you have to run for weight loss, or even that running is the best exercise for losing weight.

If you want to try running, there is the C25K program that combines walking and running until you are up to 3 miles.

My suggestion when you run is to go slow and focus on breathing.. that will help with the stitch.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Running is a great form of exercise - but dad106 is absolutely right, there's no *need* to do it. If you want to (and personally, I highly recommend it) be assured, we all get stitches when learning to run. We all get breathless. We all think we can't do it. And then slowly we learn we can.

Another vote for C25k - it's a great way to learn to run.
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Hi!
    Any exercise is better than none! High impact aerobics is good and I have heard amazing things about kettlebells (Ive just bought some!)
    Walking is great too! Running is good, Im sure many people will suggest Couch to 5k..I do my own version of this, walk for a couple of minutes, run for a couple of minutes..I get a stitch too! But the more you do it the easier it will become.
    There are so many different exercises though so its finding out what you enjoy and what works best for you. A combination of cardio and strength training is the best, so you do whatever form of that you think suits you best! Don’t let your boss dishearten you, youre doing great!
    x
    Thank you :-) I feel so much better about it now. I will keep going with it, i know in the long run it will take some time to get used to. My dad has a treadmill so i think i will have a go with that first before i start going out running. By the way kettlebells are fantstic, really intense when your doing them, but great results. Mine is too light for me now xx
  • davery1985
    Running is great for weight loss but certainly not the only method. Kettlebells are amazing for fat loss and toning combined but any exercise is better than none. You are doing brilliantly and don't let one person put you off. I assume this other person is a runners, runners cab be a bit single minded I should know. If you do want to run couch to 5 k is excellent, I had lots of problems when I started injuries, getting breathless stitch but persevered it does get easier. I am now training for a marathon if you need more help ask I am happy to talk about running, too enthusiastic sometimes LOL.
    thanks Joy, yes i wouldnt mind sme advice on running. I have always struggled with it. I think id like to step up with my exercise now. I want to be fit and healthy and its going to be a long way ahead of me. I knowi can do this. What is couch to 5k then? xx
  • davery1985
    First off, your manager is absolutely wrong... and you are doing is fine for weight loss. Nothing says you have to run for weight loss, or even that running is the best exercise for losing weight.

If you want to try running, there is the C25K program that combines walking and running until you are up to 3 miles.

My suggestion when you run is to go slow and focus on breathing.. that will help with the stitch.
    Thats what i thought, i was abit upset with her. Its like she was mocking me or something. She runs alot and shes a size uk 6! She eats huge amounts of food so she must do lots of running to work that off!! Yes ii have to look into that then as i think i really want to start running :-)
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    I totally agree with the others. Running is a great exercise, but it's not the ONLY nor is it necessarily the best.

One thing that I found to help with the stitch in my side was to slow down. You'll be amazed at how much longer you can run if you take it a little slower. At least I was, lol.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    I don't agree with your manager. Yes, running is good, but I wouldn't say it is the best exercise. As long as you are doing some and getting your heart rate up, then you are fine. Kettlebells will get the job done.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Manager is an idiot. Yes running is a great exercise, but what you are doing works, too! If you want to try running, slowly build up to it. There is no exercise law that says you have to run to lose weight or become fit.
  • davery1985
    Running is a great form of exercise - but dad106 is absolutely right, there's no *need* to do it. If you want to (and personally, I highly recommend it) be assured, we all get stitches when learning to run. We all get breathless. We all think we can't do it. And then slowly we learn we can.

Another vote for C25k - it's a great way to learn to run.
    w, yu have lost alot of weight!! Well done!! Yes i think its made me think now with alot of people saying they get stitch when they are new to it. I thought it was just me coz im rubbish at exercise!! Haha!! Im going to have to push through it xx
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Hi there!
    In my eyes the best forms of exercise to fat loss/weight loss are interval training (this can be with running, cross trainer or cycling), high intensity aerobic classes and weight training.
    Running at the same speed non stop is great for improving 'endurance' and a great cardio work out, however it's interval training that's the key... and it appears you're already doing/attempting to do that with your walking/jogging combination - a mix of having your heart rate up and then bringing it down again over and over again.
    I wouldn't bother listening to your manager, you're already seeing results with that you're currently doing! Personally I think you should though look into more specific interval training methods (such as 1 minute jog and then 1.5min walk and then the next time do 30 sec sprint and a 2 min walk over and over again, etc.) and begin if you haven't already weight training as it burns tonnes of calories (not just whilst doing the exercise but for DAYS afterwards) and the inches disappear from all over your body (fat disappears!) Have a nice combination.
    I currently try and do 2-3 days of cardio (interval training etc.) and then 5 days of weights :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I adore running, but I think your manager is wrong. There is no single best exercise. It's whatever's best for YOU! For me personally, running is absolutely the best exercise, but for other people, like my brother in law with the bad knees, it could be the worst. Just do what feels good and keeps you motivated. If you do want to try running, just make sure you have quality shoes, and take it slow to start! I haven't tried it, but a lot of people swear by the C25k program for helping build endurance over time. (Just do a search for it.) :flowerforyou:
  • crafty30
    crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
    Ah glad you are feeling a bit better, that’s good, don’t let one person get you down! Yes a treadmill is good, you’ll probably find it easier than running outside but it’s a good way to get you into it.. slowing down is a good tip! That was my problem at first I was trying to go to fast but now sometimes I look like I’m barely running ha! but it works for me and if that’s what you need to do too then don’t worry about it..
    Ooh thanks for the tip about the kettlebells..I got a couple of different sizes so I’ll see how I go, Im excited to start!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    YES, or swimming
  • Your manager is an idiot for suggesting that the exercise you were doing is not good for you. Anything that gets you moving, sweating and burning calories is good for you. But, as for the running, I was in a similar situation. I was never a runner. Any cardio exercise I did came from walking or fitness DVDs etc. I know a lot of people on here have raved about C25K. I would certainly suggest that.
    What I personally did was measure out and walk a mile...preferably like a track or around a couple of blocks...I had this parking lot that I would walk around 5 times and that was a mile. Initially I just walked...walked as fast as I could, but walked. After a few days of walking it entirely, I would add one lap where I jogged. I was dead. I got the cramps but I never stopped and worked through it. Stay hydrated but don't eat or drink too much before. If you get a cramp, raise your arm as if getting in position to do a standing crunch. It helps expand the lung...works for me and usually goes away. Anyway, after a few times of jogging just 1 lap, I would then switch to alternating between walk and jog...then eventually jogged 3 laps walked 2 and you get were this is going.
    Just yesterday I broke a 10 minute mile. I started at 15 a couple months ago. If felt awesome. To me running is great, especially knowing how much I improved...but no matter what, getting out there, feeling the burn and sweating no matter what exercise is good!
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    The best exercise's for weight loss are weight training (Compound exercises like the deadlift & weighted squats, they work major muscle group, burn a lot of calories & will tone up leg, bum & tum). Also HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), with both of these methods, you can burn more calories than normal running in less time & you get after burn (your body burning more calories even after you stop exercising, with running your body get used to it & you get no after burn).

Running is by no means the best form of exercise for fat loss.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Running is great exercise and I think one of the better ones for weight loss. But I would not call it the best exercise.

I think the best exercises are the ones you will do because you like to and will do them on days you really do not want to.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    C25k is a tool that helps you start running it gives you a programme to follow so you slowly build up the amount of time you are running until you are running5k or 3 miles. The programme runs over 12 weeks I think but you can repeat weeks as necessary. Google it or you can get it as an app. A lot of people swear by it. The key is to go slow and not do too much too soon or you will hate it and stop. I think the main thing with exercise is finding something you love that way you will stick with it, if you hate every minute you are not going to persevere. Hope this helps any questions please ask. I love running as you can tell and that's why I stick to it. You love kettlebells if it works stick with it. I do other forms of exercise but they don't have the same thrill for me as running. Yes I find it hard but that's part of the challenge. When I run up a hill I previously struggled with I get such a buzz and that lasts all day.
  • teally13
    teally13 Posts: 30
    I got a lot of stitches when I started running and I found it was down to when I eat and drink. I have to wait a few hours after eating to ensure I don't get a stitch, I can't even have a sip of water while running without getting one but I make sure I'm well hydrated beforehand. It's a case of trial and error to find out what works for you. Good luck.