Is running the best exercise?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    First off, your manager is absolutely wrong... and you are doing is fine for weight loss. Nothing says you have to run for weight loss, or even that running is the best exercise for losing weight.

If you want to try running, there is the C25K program that combines walking and running until you are up to 3 miles.

My suggestion when you run is to go slow and focus on breathing.. that will help with the stitch.
    Thats what i thought, i was abit upset with her. Its like she was mocking me or something. She runs alot and shes a size uk 6! She eats huge amounts of food so she must do lots of running to work that off!! Yes ii have to look into that then as i think i really want to start running :-)

Running is a good calorie burner in a short amount of time.. which is why a lot of people do it.

I would tell her that what she said upset you and that you just have different ways of approaching weight loss... and that there is no right or wrong method.

Good for you for looking into C25K.. I'm def. not a runner at all, and yet I'm going to tackle a 22 minute continuous run tomorrow... so it is possible.. I promise!
  • EK2828
    EK2828 Posts: 20 Member
    I am by no means an running expert (I was just starting, got pregnant and quit, and now I get to start up again), and I know a couple of people mentioned slowing down helps, but I wanted to add to that. I may be completely crazy, but I find myself trying to keep up with the beat of whatever music I'm listening to. It took me awhile to figure that out. If I was listening to crazy fast music, I was trying to run faster (it just felt more natural I guess) and I'd hurt & get worn out really quickly. If I can remember to either go without music or at least listen to something a little more mellow, I'm able to run a lot longer even though I'm going slower, and I still know it's doing some good! :)
  • cozmosis77
    cozmosis77 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you :-) I feel so much better about it now. I will keep going with it, i know in the long run it will take some time to get used to. My dad has a treadmill so i think i will have a go with that first before i start going out running. By the way kettlebells are fantstic, really intense when your doing them, but great results. Mine is too light for me now xx

I used to get side stitches when running and found that *avoiding* the treadmill helped because I could vary my pace more easily. The other problem I noticed is that I was breathing too shallow. I started breathing more deeply while running and the stitches diminished.
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Well supposedly cross country skiers are the athletes who are the fittest, so if your aim is to get fit then I'd say this is best. Running and swimming are close behind. The advantage of running is it's just you and the road, no gym memberships, no special equipment, you can do it anywhere, all you need is a pair of good shoes, and maybe a good list of running tracks to motivate you!
    running-motivation-quote.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    The best exercise is the one you do and enjoy doing or at least have the motivation to do.
    If you are not interested in running and it only becomes a frustration or a barrier, how is running good for you?

I started re-running because I want to be a runner and feel capable of going distances with that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Ask you manager to give you an explanation of how 300 calories burnt running is any different from 300 calories burnt swimming, rowing or whatever else.

Should be good.
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    What a great discussion!

I've also had people tell me that running is the "best" form of exercise. I just HATE it. I mean, honestly hate, hate running. I wish I could come to love it but I find it so boooorrrinng!

I do other aerobic exercises (addicted to step aerobics) which I think is just as good as running.

Maybe I'll try the C25K everyone keeps talking about. :)
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Thanks for all your encouragement, i feel much better about everything now :-)
    Im silly for letting her get to me like this. Im not sure if im a fan of running to be honest as i havent done it enough times for me to make a decision. I will give it a go though as ill never know until i try.
    Thanks again :smile:
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    I sure hope not, because I *hate* running! lol. But really, it seems to me that a calorie burned is a calorie burned...shouldn't matter HOW it's burned.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I think the best exercise is what you enjoy and can actually stick with.

Even if I didn't have a screwed up ankle and knee, I wouldn't be a runner because I don't like it. What I DO love, though, is Dance, Kickboxing, and Weights. Just do what you enjoy!
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    I don't think any ONE exercise is necessarily "the best" - not for me, anway - because your body sort of gets used to it. I find I need to keep changing what I do otherwise the positive effects tail off - so if I've been running and want to stick to that, I need to do things like change the speed, the distance, flat terrain to hill or whatever. If I just ran, say, 5 flat miles 3 times a week, I might lose a bit of weight initially but by week 3-4 my body would be thinking, "This, AGAIN?" So my advice would be to try different things and find a few sports you enjoy, and keep changing.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Your manager is really mean! Any exercise is the best exercise, don't feel pressured to start running just because someone told you to, if you don't like it.
    If you actually want to start running for you (not for your manager), C25K is really good, or Hal Higdon's training programs
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    I was having a conversation with my manager at work yesterday about fitness and i told her about my weight loss and that i did aerobics and kettlebells. I also walk alot every week. I told her that i wanted to try running, but that i get stitch even if i do it steady, like ill walk for abit, then jog, then walk. I cant seem to stop it from happening. She just went on to say that i was unfit (i know that) she also said that running is the best exercise for loosing alot of weight. She said the exercise i was doing was no good at all. Felt abit fed up as i exercise 5 days a week, and i think im doing quite well. I can tell my fitness levels are up as i can push myself more. Can anyone suggest a good way of getting better at running as i must be doing something wrong xx

You're doing great and she is ignorant.

When you run, run slower and breath really deep in to the diaphram that willhelp the stitch a lot. Check out Couch to 5k, its awesome.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    My two cents... walking is super good for you and I've *heard* that it's better for weight loss. Running burns more calories, but you have to work up to it. I recommend C25K if you want to start running! My whole life I've said I hated running... until C25K. ;) I just finished Week 3 Day 1 today and I am so proud of myself! I could not have run 3 minutes straight a month ago... so if you really want to get into running, download a C25K app.

I will be a lifelong walker, but with C25K I've proven to myself that I can be a runner too. ;)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Ask you manager to give you an explanation of how 300 calories burnt running is any different from 300 calories burnt swimming, rowing or whatever else.

Should be good.

^^^^love this!!! i'd like to be a fly on the wall during that conversation!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member

Should be good.

LIKE! Exercise is exercise. 300 Calories is 300 Calories.
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Running is great to lose weight. Not only method. Not everyone can do as well. I do incorporate running in weekly excercise routine had to cut back on the time because it is hard on your joints. Walking and rope jumping is great as well. I think all cardio activities are great.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    I think she's hatin ;), don't let it get to you! Running is a great form of exercise, but it's not for everyone - we all have our preferences. If you really want to try it out, C25K is a good way to start - it's intervals of walking and running until you can progress up to longer periods of running. It has helped me thus far! Most important is you enjoy it though, I know in my case I've tried a couple aerobics classes and it took a while to find one I enjoyed rather than thinking it was incredibly cheesey or militaristic. :P
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Your manager is wrong. Running is not the best way to lose weight... having a caloric deficit it! What you are doing is just fine. You're moving around, burning calories, lifting some weights... you do not have to run if you don't want to.
  • I hated running because of the stitches I would get in my side. I just recently started a C25k program and have to say I figured out it was my breathing while running. If I stop and breath deeper like another posted then I can now run the 8 min intervals without stitches. I am definately not a runner but I'm trying to learn to run and maybe when I can run without feeling like I'm going to die then maybe I like it even possibly love it. Good luck to you in whatever exercising you choose to do. I always love the saying about no matter how slow you go you are lapping the ones on the couch.