Let them eat cake

cherylkf
cherylkf Posts: 28
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Or something like that. :grumble:
I have been designated the "dessert bringer" to the Thanksgiving dinner I and my son will be partaking in. Please send some good dessert ideas. I am the only "fat" person in the bunch. (My son has a job whose tag line is "when they see you they come running"...those of you who live in the PNW will know the company-so he gets TONS of exercise. The rest of the group is either marathon runners or ultimate Frisbee players.) Soooo...I need something that tastes good and won't totally kill my caloric intake for the day...or week. :tongue:

BTW, I saw on a news show today that the average person consumes 7100 calories at Thanksgiving dinner. :noway:

THANKS in advance! :happy:

Replies

• Or something like that. :grumble:
    I have been designated the "dessert bringer" to the Thanksgiving dinner I and my son will be partaking in. Please send some good dessert ideas. I am the only "fat" person in the bunch. (My son has a job whose tag line is "when they see you they come running"...those of you who live in the PNW will know the company-so he gets TONS of exercise. The rest of the group is either marathon runners or ultimate Frisbee players.) Soooo...I need something that tastes good and won't totally kill my caloric intake for the day...or week. :tongue:

BTW, I saw on a news show today that the average person consumes 7100 calories at Thanksgiving dinner. :noway:

• redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Hi Cheryl: There's a really good low-cal. cheesecake at
    http://www.dietbites.com/article1028.html
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I usually bring Baked Apples - take it easy on the sugar and butter, heavy on the raisins and cinnamon.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I just posted pumpkin cheesecake bars on the recipe board. They are really, really good!:bigsmile:
  • LitlKoz
    LitlKoz Posts: 24 Member
    I know if you go to www.kraftfoods.com they have quite a few recipes that are low cal and good for you. They do offer the caloire, fat, etc info. and you can always substitute fat free items for many of the ingredients.
    Go to the Healthy Living Tab, then on the left they have a little search option.

:bigsmile:
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    There are a ton of recipies on this site too:

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Help me out here... I'm from the Northwest (Seattle) and can't figure out who your son works for... ?

Also, I "googled" healthy holiday desserts & there were a bunch of great ideas - check them out!
  • Help me out here... I'm from the Northwest (Seattle) and can't figure out who your son works for... ?

Also, I "googled" healthy holiday desserts & there were a bunch of great ideas - check them out!

Les Schwab...:happy: Since he's started working there he has lost weight and firmed up. On the days he doesn't work he has to go running because he gets so restless...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    I found out not to long ago that I am alergic to refined sugar. Gived me one HECK of a headach.:sick:
    Like you, I can not TELL you how many times I have been the desert bringer.. Maybe because I enjoy baking... But still I had to learn how to cook things that did not have refined sugar in them and BOY did I learn a lot.
    Fruit Pies are the easiest, Just do fruit with out sugar. Or Fake no cal sugar. and one of my FAVORITE Sssshhhh secrets is. APPLESAUCE INSTEAD OF COOKING OIL! amount to amount, If they ask for a cup of oil, a cup of applesauce. 1/4 a cup of oil...1/4 a cup of applesauce etc...Cut the cals more then half in all baking, and I DARE you to note a difference. That and the fake no cal sugar and you have a tasty treat
    :wink:
    --Diann...
  • diannholland1965
    I found out not to long ago that I am alergic to refined sugar. Gived me one HECK of a headach.:sick:
    Like you, I can not TELL you how many times I have been the desert bringer.. Maybe because I enjoy baking... But still I had to learn how to cook things that did not have refined sugar in them and BOY did I learn a lot.
    Fruit Pies are the easiest, Just do fruit with out sugar. Or Fake no cal sugar. and one of my FAVORITE Sssshhhh secrets is. APPLESAUCE INSTEAD OF COOKING OIL! amount to amount, If they ask for a cup of oil, a cup of applesauce. 1/4 a cup of oil...1/4 a cup of applesauce etc...Cut the cals more then half in all baking, and I DARE you to note a difference. That and the fake no cal sugar and you have a tasty treat
    :wink:
    --Diann...

Oooh, good one. I will definitely try this. I am trying to cut out sugar anyway. How do you do with Splenda? Thanks for the tip. :happy:
  • Or something like that. :grumble:

i posted my recipe for pumpkin fluff (pumpkin pie alternative) in the recipe section, it is really tasty, fat free, and low cal, if you are looking for something a little bit closer to the traditional...

i just did a close-your-eyes-and-visualize of what i wouldlook like after 7100 calories...the image i got was of Harry Potters aunt whatever her name was as she ballooned and floated out the window, lol...
    i think will aim for a few less calories, lol
This discussion has been closed.