Serious question to help my husband!!!

My husband is very fit. So much so it's kinda embaressing to be standing next to him without a shirt on.! However he has gone into sort of a snit because he can't seem to get bigger! He's 6'2" weighs 179 and his body fat is at 8%. He has good muscle definition, however he wants his to be bigger. Do any of you have any advice I can give him? He has a naturally lean build, unlike his brothers who have a stockier build and they are bigger then him and it drives him crazy! Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Does he want to gain muscle and be bigger?

If so he would need to eat at a surplus and lift heavy weights while eating enough protein.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    If so he would need to eat at a surplus and lift heavy weights while eating enough protein.

^ Pretty much that.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member

^^ Yup this. Tell him to research the Bulk/Cut Cycle :smile:
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    He should lift heavy, increasing the weight lifted regularly. If he doesn't have a weight lifting routine in place already, he can try Stronglists 5X5 or similar. He should eat a bit more- particularly a lot of protein, a good amount of carbs, and a moderate amount of fat. General recommendation is to eat 10-20% over his TDEE, with 1.1-1.5 g protein per lb of lean body mass, ~20-25% of calories from fat, and the rest from carbs. These articles should help him set up a plan:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-2.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/muscle-gain/mass-gain-fundamentals
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member

^ Pretty much that.

Ok!, the man eats non stop, literally! He can eat a huge meal and 30 minutes later he's hungry again! How much protein does he need to be eating a day!
  • TxAngel79

^^ Yup this. Tell him to research the Bulk/Cut Cycle :smile:

Thanks!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    it's kinda embaressing to be standing next to him without a shirt on.!

omygoodess, then put your shirt back on, missy! LOL sorry, couldn't resist. (I purposely misunderstood that, it's funnier that way)

I must really bother him that he isn't bulking up. I hope for his happiness that the above suggestions work for him, but if not, I hope he makes peace with being more lean and mean.
  • TxAngel79
    He should lift heavy, increasing the weight lifted regularly. If he doesn't have a weight lifting routine in place already, he can try Stronglists 5X5 or similar. He should eat a bit more- particularly a lot of protein, a good amount of carbs, and a moderate amount of fat. General recommendation is to eat 10-20% over his TDEE, with 1.1-1.5 g protein per lb of lean body mass, ~20-25% of calories from fat, and the rest from carbs. These articles should help him set up a plan:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/the-baseline-diet-part-2.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/muscle-gain/mass-gain-fundamentals

Thanks!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

^ Pretty much that.

Ok!, the man eats non stop, literally! He can eat a huge meal and 30 minutes later he's hungry again! How much protein does he need to be eating a day!

1g/lb LBM minimum
    .4-.5g/lb total bodyweight in fat (or higher)
    remainder is personal preference to reach calorie total.

As mentioned by a previous poster I'd shoot for about 10-20% above TDEE and monitor results. Adjust upwards if zero gains.

See here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • TxAngel79
    it's kinda embaressing to be standing next to him without a shirt on.!

omygoodess, then put your shirt back on, missy! LOL sorry, couldn't resist. (I purposely misunderstood that, it's funnier that way)

I must really bother him that he isn't bulking up. I hope for his happiness that the above suggestions work for him, but if not, I hope he makes peace with being more lean and mean.

Oh wow I did not notice the way I worded it!! It does bug him, alot!!! He's just really lean. He has abs to die for, very nice muscles, he just wants to be bigger! He drives me nuts!
  • TxAngel79

^ Pretty much that.

1g/lb LBM minimum
    .4-.5g/lb total bodyweight in fat (or higher)
    remainder is personal preference to reach calorie total.

As mentioned by a previous poster I'd shoot for about 10-20% above TDEE and monitor results. Adjust upwards if zero gains.

See here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Thank you!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I had a hard time putting on muscle weight too since I was naturally skinny to begin with. High volume training (reps 8 to 12, sets 4 to 6) for most exercise and needs to eat at LEAST 500 calories over daily TDEE. He may eat a lot, but if he's still burning off what he eats, he's not going to gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TxAngel79
    I had a hard time putting on muscle weight too since I was naturally skinny to begin with. High volume training (reps 8 to 12, sets 4 to 6) for most exercise and needs to eat at LEAST 500 calories over daily TDEE. He may eat a lot, but if he's still burning off what he eats, he's not going to gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Girl, get that man a subscription to Muscle Mag and Muscular Development! I'd throw in Flex, too, but that one is too much fluff these days. Anyhow, those first two magazines are BADASS for this type of stuff. A lot of info for hard-gainers like your hubby, a lot of great nutrition and training information and research, provided by the biggest names and leading docs in the body building/fitness industry.

Assuming he doesn't already have subscriptions those, that is.
  • TxAngel79
    Girl, get that man a subscription to Muscle Mag and Muscular Development! I'd throw in Flex, too, but that one is too much fluff these days. Anyhow, those first two magazines are BADASS for this type of stuff. A lot of info for hard-gainers like your hubby, a lot of great nutrition and training information and research, provided by the biggest names and leading docs in the body building/fitness industry.

Assuming he doesn't already have subscriptions those, that is.

He does!!
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    To only have this problem! LOL!!! Most of us are trying to trim down :) But, if it were me, I'd contact a local gym and have him do a couple of sessions with a personal trainer. If you get a good one, they are worth their weight in gold! I have a PT who happens to be a bodybuilder. Being female, I have no interest in bodybuilding, but I can tell you these guys know their stuff! Best of luck!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    He needs to eat more and/or move less and eat lots of protein and lift heavy things.....
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    He needs to up his calories to about 3000 - 3500 per day (Depending on his workout). He should be eating about 1.0 - 1.5 grams of protien per lbs of lean body mass per day. When he lifts he should be lifting heavy doing about 3 sets no more than 8 reps. If he can complete 3 sets of 8 reps without failing he needs to go up in weight......This is just for starters......Hope it helps......Tell him good luck!
    My husband is very fit. So much so it's kinda embaressing to be standing next to him without a shirt on.! However he has gone into sort of a snit because he can't seem to get bigger! He's 6'2" weighs 179 and his body fat is at 8%. He has good muscle definition, however he wants his to be bigger. Do any of you have any advice I can give him? He has a naturally lean build, unlike his brothers who have a stockier build and they are bigger then him and it drives him crazy! Thanks in advance!!!
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247

He needs at least 20 calories per pound of body weight to bulk up.
  • TxAngel79
    Never posted pic before so I hope this works! As you see, he is not small. And I know it's not the best pic, but it's the only one I have at the moment! I think he looks great, but as he says, he has to feel good!

chris.jpg