I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

peachyxoxoxo
peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
Every single day I see multiple sarcastic posts mocking certain commonly held beliefs, ideologies, broscience claims, goals, etc. in regards to health and fitness. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but it's getting REALLY old. Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

Be honest people. There was also a time when you didn't know much about health or nutrition. Most people on MFP are here because they are trying to make a change. They are trying to learn more about how they can improve their health. No need to be snarky because someone brings up starvation mode, for example. We've all grown up hearing certain things about what's good and what's bad as far as nutrition goes so why be so mean when someone brings up one of those topics? You probably held those beliefs at one point in time yourself. I just think it would be nice if more people were willing to be supportive and tactful, instead of mocking. With the type of posts I mentioned above, I know you're just trying to have fun and all, but in my opinion, it's not kind or supportive at all. No one should ever be made to feel alienated by people who "know better" or know more, before they even get a chance to get started on their journey.

So, anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Thanks guys.

Replies

• rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Pressing the "like" button.
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Definitely agree! Either comment with actual advice, or leave it alone if the post "bothers" or "annoys" you. Most people are genuinely asking questions and looking for information! I get tired of all of the negativity or "holier than thou" attitude.
  • Piggytummy
    Piggytummy Posts: 24 Member
    I learn new and seemingly stupid things everyday on this journey..apparently those people were just born fitness gurus...
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    big like. its like the old saying, if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    I think people get snarky about it because there are a million damn threads about these things. You don't even have to use the search function, they are always somewhere on the first page of one of the message boards. It's annoying when people can't even put in two seconds of effort to glance at the forum before posting.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Stay out of the forums then.... its pretty simple.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Well said. Thank you.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Where is the LIKE ... You said it perfectly!!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    I think people get snarky about it because there are a million damn threads about these things. You don't even have to use the search function, they are always somewhere on the first page of one of the message boards. It's annoying when people can't even put in two seconds of effort to glance at the forum before posting.

This is true. If people are new members though, maybe they just want to get an answer to their specific question now, as it pertains to their situation.
  • serhioramos
    serhioramos Posts: 59 Member
    I totally agree. Seems like every advice thread I click on ends up being a bunch of people throwing needless insults around. No need to be rude, people.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    dont stop believin.......
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Im all for what you said. But just remember there are pricks and asshol*s everywhere you go
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Stay out of the forums then.... its pretty simple.

That's kinda rude. I think she's right - MFP should be a place for supporting one another and being uplifting, not for tearing other people down.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    I agree with you!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Im all for what you said. But just remember there are pricks and asshol*s everywhere you go

Also very true. It's just a bummer that people intentionally act like that on a community that's supposed to be positive and supportive. I know it's the internet and people can say whatever they want, but weight/health is a very sensitive topic for a lot of people and I just wish this was one place where those who tend to mock were able to tone it down a bit.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Gotta state another viewpoint.......and not trying to start an argument....just want to say..........Some of these people might go about it the wrong way, but a lot of times the information is correct. There is a lot of stupidity on these forums that runs rampant.....would you prefer for them to go unchallenged and have people believe the nonsense?
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Gotta state another viewpoint.......and not trying to start an argument....just want to say..........Some of these people might go about it the wrong way, but a lot of times the information is correct. There is a lot of stupidity on these forums that runs rampant.....would you prefer for them to go unchallenged and have people believe the nonsense?

I want the right information presented. Like I said before though, it could just be done more tactfully.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Yepp there's a little clique here, very much like in high school where they get a real kick out of making others feel stupid. But I've noticed it's the same people over and over, the majority of the people on this site are kind and gracious. :flowerforyou:
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Well, no one needs to be sh!tting rainbows and glitter everywhere lol. Like I said I do close the threads that bother me. I just find it disheartening when I'm coming on these forums trying to get help and help others and that's the sort of thing I see all the time.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    LOL Peachy, that's why you're friends with me and not Snarky Bean there. LOL.