I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Yeah, I agree. All the bickering and hurt feelings and people being "offended" gets really old.

You can't really complain too much because it will never stop and it will never go away.

It is just an inherent part of being on the internet.

Diversity is what makes out planet great...and it also opens up a vast opportunity for "discussion". :bigsmile:

Yep, although some aspects of it bug me, the Internet is truly a great place for discussion and sharing ideas. I love posting on forums and getting other people's opinions.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    I agree in part with the OP - there are times when someone who clearly doesn't know any better will post something and people will immediately jump on them and ridicule them.

However......

I can't even count the amount of times someone asks a question, then a multitude of people post up some crap. I post up something that I know to be right, and that either gets absolutely ignored, or someone will pick up on the minutest point and decide to take it the wrong way because I'm just telling the truth instead of trying to sugar coat it all.... example: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682730-how-fast-do-women-put-on-muscle?page=4

In fact - on the first page of that post is another comment I made that gets totally ignored in favour of all the people who love their tiny little weights...

So after a while - we tend to get a little annoyed - for me it's not at the person for asking the question, but for how they 75% of the time respond to that.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Stay out of the forums then.... its pretty simple.

That's kinda rude. I think she's right - MFP should be a place for supporting one another and being uplifting, not for tearing other people down.
    You all have every right to think what you want, is it supposed to be for support? Yeah probably but you know what, there is about 100 of these posts made every damn day. Whaaaaaa I am tired of the sarcasm... whaaaaaaa I am tired of people being mean. Lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya and *kitten* rainbows and glitters for everyone.

I am not really hear to blow sunshine up anyone's *kitten*... it really is simple, stay out of the forums if they bother you. Or if you see a thread that turned you off close it. Its the interwebs you are allowed to do that. Also 9 times out of 10 the sarcastic threads happen in the chit-chat fun and games section. If crap bothers you to the point that you need to make a post about it you should probably just stay out of the forums, and go to the groups where you can be with like minded people - groups are a wonderful thing.

Manged to take the pal out of MFP, why you on here miss perfect?

Also supportive and kind, with not a bit of attacking or snark. Let's sticky this one and use it as our model for when we want to respond to somone who irritates us. This poster has shown us how to do it. That WAS your point, right OP?
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Okay - but the thing is - it doesn't have to be either "snarky but correct" or "kind but nonsense." There is honestly no need to be rude. People get resentful when they're spoken to with a negative tone. How likely are people to take advice if the tone is " well OBVIOUSLY what you're doing is wrong, duh. Why aren't you doing it the right way like I am?"

I rarely see anyone genuinely asking for advice who gets a bucket load of sarcasm. That's reserved for the others that are only looking for sycophants to give credence to their sh1tty choices. The difference isn't hard to spot.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    You all have every right to think what you want, is it supposed to be for support? Yeah probably but you know what, there is about 100 of these posts made every damn day. Whaaaaaa I am tired of the sarcasm... whaaaaaaa I am tired of people being mean. Lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya and *kitten* rainbows and glitters for everyone.

I am not really hear to blow sunshine up anyone's *kitten*... it really is simple, stay out of the forums if they bother you. Or if you see a thread that turned you off close it. Its the interwebs you are allowed to do that. Also 9 times out of 10 the sarcastic threads happen in the chit-chat fun and games section. If crap bothers you to the point that you need to make a post about it you should probably just stay out of the forums, and go to the groups where you can be with like minded people - groups are a wonderful thing.

And this is what you get when you try to honestly help. You get mocked for it. Some times it's just not worth trying to help people. And there's not a person I know more helpful than "miss perfect" up there. But her and a lot of others don't even bother with the forums because of this. From all you "kind, supportive" people...
  • peachyxoxoxo

That's kinda rude. I think she's right - MFP should be a place for supporting one another and being uplifting, not for tearing other people down.

Also supportive and kind, with not a bit of attacking or snark. Let's sticky this one and use it as our model for when we want to respond to somone who irritates us. This poster has shown us how to do it. That WAS your point, right OP?

I am the OP and none of these above posts were anything I wrote.
  • BrettPGH
    Of course not everyone is nice. Of course rudeness runs rampant on the internet and in real life. Not everyone has to be friends. But you can choose to not be friends without also choosing to attack the other person. I'm not looking for sugar-coated, I'm looking for tact.

I mean just take a minute and read over what you said here. You know not everyone is nice. You know people are rude. You just expect them to.. be nice and not be rude.

Yeah that'd be nice. It'd also be nice if everyone spelled "lose" right. But as we've learned 7 threads a day just ain't gonna make it happen. So adjust your own expectations. Not everyone is nice. Not everyone has good grammar. is that what you're here for? Or is it for good health advice? Because there's lots of that here.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member

I am the OP and none of these above posts were anything I wrote.

Right, my point was that that rude person didn't get your point. And yet, she's coming in here to agree with the original, get along with people an stop being mean. She's doing that by doing precisely what she's supposedly against, and you wrote your OP against. It is amazing to me how little self awareness people have in the world.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    I am here for the good health advice, yes. It just bothers me seeing the other stuff. I guess I need to stop being so sensitive and worrying about the things other people are saying if it doesn't pertain to me.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    *LIKE* Very well said and feel free to add me if you like. :-)
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    peachyxoxox
    I agree! I posted a question last week about supplements and someone answered me with such an abrupt respond, that I kind of felt stupid!

Anyway, good for you!
  • The one thing Ive noticed about MFP is that people cant wait to harp on a forum if they dont agree. Instead of just reading and clickiing out, they cant wait to be a jerk and cut down the person who started it... GREAT WAY TO START DRAMA.. MYFITNESSDRAMA! Let the woman have her opinion and get off her back. Im sure she doesnt mind the opinions but some are a bit much and the people that are a bit much know just what they are doing!

I will say that being sensitive bothers me. When people take EVERYTHING, even caps to heart, its a bit much but other than that.. this stuff does get tiring.
  • BrettPGH
    I am here for the good health advice, yes. It just bothers me seeing the other stuff. I guess I need to stop being so sensitive and worrying about the things other people are saying if it doesn't pertain to me.

It's a tough old world girl, strap on that helmet.

Hell if anything I advise people listen TO the snarky advice! They always seem to be the people who know what they're talking about and have had the most success. Most everyone who helped me has been banned from this site or is about to. Because of all the supportive, caring, kind people who don't want to hear what they have to say and click the report button like it burns calories.
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    *like* :flowerforyou:
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    peachyxoxox
    I agree! I posted a question last week about supplements and someone answered me with such an abrupt respond, that I kind of felt stupid!

Anyway, good for you!

Was this the thread?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/687246-supplements

Apparently, that second, completely valid question, bothered you. Why?

BTW, that's not an example of what OP is talking about.
  • xxrainxx
    xxrainxx Posts: 44 Member
    so true :smile:
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Every single day I see multiple sarcastic posts mocking certain commonly held beliefs, ideologies, broscience claims, goals, etc. in regards to health and fitness. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but it's getting REALLY old. Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

Be honest people. There was also a time when you didn't know much about health or nutrition. Most people on MFP are here because they are trying to make a change. They are trying to learn more about how they can improve their health. No need to be snarky because someone brings up starvation mode, for example. We've all grown up hearing certain things about what's good and what's bad as far as nutrition goes so why be so mean when someone brings up one of those topics? You probably held those beliefs at one point in time yourself. I just think it would be nice if more people were willing to be supportive and tactful, instead of mocking. With the type of posts I mentioned above, I know you're just trying to have fun and all, but in my opinion, it's not kind or supportive at all. No one should ever be made to feel alienated by people who "know better" or know more, before they even get a chance to get started on their journey.

So, anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Thanks guys.

I was chatting about this last night - I have seen recently a TV program showing a family that eats Chinese takeaway to the amount of about the size of a family car - they showed a stack of food boxes to demonstrate - I personally haven't had a Chinese this year - love 'em but they are not the right food for me.

Someone comes along and posts that they are only having 3 take aways a week and I can see from their profile they need to loose 100lb. The super fit abs brigade come along and say NEVER eat a takeaway and the OP says thats sooo unreasonable you are so rude you dont know how impossible that is.

What seems to happen is the people giving the good advice then get shot down and it's said are rude for using words like fat. The reality being the OP should just listen to the advice and do it if they want to succeed they aren't unlucky etc etc they just eat too much and don't move enough. People just want an excuse to fail. It's alright it is hard I've worked my but off for years - I still dont have the body I want - If it was easy 50% of americans wouldn't be obese!!!!

I'm getting a bit bored of 20 posts about how many calories in sperm, lb muscle doesn't weighs more than 1lb fat (It does it you get the point and ain't a pedant), Nobody understand's how hard it is for me etc etc

For clarity I use the word you to describe one - dont want every one to think I'm getting at the OP
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Yepp there's a little clique here, very much like in high school where they get a real kick out of making others feel stupid. But I've noticed it's the same people over and over, the majority of the people on this site are kind and gracious. :flowerforyou:

LIKE!!!
  • FatDaddysMom
    FatDaddysMom Posts: 10 Member
    Love it!!! Well said!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I'm with the people who said if it bothers you so much, then stay out of the forums.

I'm not going to sit around and pretend that what people are doing is working when it's clearly not.

Some people need to hear the truth.. and sometimes the truth hurts, no matter how tactfully you put it.