IS it possible to gain weight with 2 days of bad eating?

So i got a baby sitter on Friday... We went out for dinner. I think i did pretty good on friday. I got a water with 1lbs of wings (5) and a bowl of soup. Anyway that night we had a fire of course we had no baby so we drank.. That lead to pizza at 1am. Next day i ate junk all day.. Went out for breakfast, then again for dinner.. and today not doing so good. I steped on the slace this morning and i gained 4lbs.. :S i just lost 17lbs. I do great all week i walk 2 hours and eat good for the most part. Just weekends are a killer for me... hubbys home all weekend so we lounge and eat bad.. and i dont walk.. i feel awful!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    So i got a baby sitter on Friday... We went out for dinner. I think i did pretty good on friday. I got a water with 1lbs of wings (5) and a bowl of soup. Anyway that night we had a fire of course we had no baby so we drank.. That lead to pizza at 1am. Next day i ate junk all day.. Went out for breakfast, then again for dinner.. and today not doing so good. I steped on the slace this morning and i gained 4lbs.. :S i just lost 17lbs. I do great all week i walk 2 hours and eat good for the most part. Just weekends are a killer for me... hubbys home all weekend so we lounge and eat bad.. and i dont walk.. i feel awful!

You probably gained mostly water and a little bit of fat.

For some unsolicited advice:

I would really recommend that you focus on the long term trends in your fitness/weightloss goals and don't get hung up on what happens day to day. There's nothing to feel awful about. You can still enjoy life while losing weight and believe it or not you can still over-eat occasionally provided you are able to get back on the plan.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Nothing you can do about it now than treasure the sweet memories of wings and beer ;-)
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    There's nothing to feel awful about. You can still enjoy life while losing weight and believe it or not you can still over-eat occasionally provided you are able to get back on the plan.

^^ Well said
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    a_stone_girl_dances Posts: 76 Member
    There's nothing to feel awful about. You can still enjoy life while losing weight and believe it or not you can still over-eat occasionally provided you are able to get back on the plan.

^^ Well said

I concur.
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Absolutely--though it's probably mostly water. Check your sodium levels and water intake for those days. If the sodium was high, and your water intake was high, and your water output was just normal, then you have some extra water hanging around. After a day or two of low sodium/high water intake, you'll probably have a day or two where all you'll do is "go" and you'll be 2 pounds lighter after.

:)
  • AaronG91
    AaronG91 Posts: 20
    This has happened to me in the past, after a few days I usually drop 50-75% of the weight gained, it would be very tough to put on 4lb of tissue (fat/muscle etc.) in a couple of days.

If you still logged the days you will know roughly how many calories you over ate so you could probably estimate how much weight you actually put on.

Might be worth trying to get an early morning/evening walk in to help lessen the damage? Try and encourage the hubby to go with you?
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    dont worry like mentioned before its likely to be water stored and tiny amount of fat, keep up the usual work and it'll shift but yes you should be enjoying yourself from time to time
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member

I would really recommend that you focus on the long term trends in your fitness/weightloss goals and don't get hung up on what happens day to day. There's nothing to feel awful about. You can still enjoy life while losing weight and believe it or not you can still over-eat occasionally provided you are able to get back on the plan.

I agree with what he said. Mostly water, maybe a little bit of fat.

I enjoy myself. I have days I eat more chocolate than I should... Or we eat BDubs and I indulge on wings or whatever. I've done it this way through the entire process and I've lost 121lbs so far. It's taken me a while to do, but the most important thing is that I'm still here. I exercise daily, I eat well probably 90% of the time. I don't deprive myself of a good time at a BBQ or birthday party.
  • Christophalon
    Christophalon Posts: 8 Member
    It's no problem, measurements fluctuate that much, if you overate, you may have some of the physical remains left in your system as it were plus water weight etc. It can be effective to cycle your intake as it can encourage your metabolism in any case. Probably you'd lost 15lbs ish not 17, and have still lost 14.8lbs ish. There are around 3500kcal in a pound of fat so to gain 4lb would have required and extra 14000kcal over your needs. This hasn't happened.
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    It is possible if you eat over 3500calories. If not, then no. It wouldn't be fat, it would be excess water weight or something.
  • aliric
    aliric Posts: 69
    I have done this a few times on my weight loss journey. Since losing 48 lbs I have lost control on a few occasions and usually it's been on a weekend. Just get right back on track and in a few days at least for me you will more then likely have it back off. Just drink a lot of water to flush that sodium out. Like the last post sad it's more then likely sodium... Getting back on track is the important thing..Good Luck:).
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    I had a 'day off' for my boyfriends birthday and we went for a meal, and the day after i'd put on 2lbs and took me forever to get it back off! just do extra exercise maybe? Everyone deserves a day off now and again :)
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Possible, but in your case, i don't think so. :) Water weight and food weight is definitely a possibility... Plus, the body works in odd ways when you bump up calorie intake like that. You'll probably find that any weight you gained (water or not) will be gone in a day or two. A weekend of junk eating won't ruin all your progress.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 144 Member
    If you're young & healthy (& it looks like you are from your profile pic) you will probably lose the weight again just as quickly as you lost it (assuming you're now back on the straight & narrow! ). Now that I've hit middle age, that has become less easy - but I still tend to treat myself at the weekend - I don't think you should have to be saintly 7 days a week!

But in any case, don't let it get you down - onwards & upwards! (or downwards, as regards the numbers on the scales :wink: )
  • So i got a baby sitter on Friday... We went out for dinner. I think i did pretty good on friday. I got a water with 1lbs of wings (5) and a bowl of soup. Anyway that night we had a fire of course we had no baby so we drank.. That lead to pizza at 1am. Next day i ate junk all day.. Went out for breakfast, then again for dinner.. and today not doing so good. I steped on the slace this morning and i gained 4lbs.. :S i just lost 17lbs. I do great all week i walk 2 hours and eat good for the most part. Just weekends are a killer for me... hubbys home all weekend so we lounge and eat bad.. and i dont walk.. i feel awful!

Yes yes yes! You have to let loose occasionally! Make the most of those rare occasions and know that it's a marathon and not a sprint. xxx
  • it happens to me all the time, the other day i gained about 8 pounds in a vacation week that i ate a lot, it took 10 days to go back to my weight , i drink a cleanser te that helps me a lot
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    SODIUM BOMB!

Wings = high sodium
    Soup = mega-high sodium
    Pizza = mega-high sodium

All the other water weight posters are correct. How to get rid of it? DRINK MORE WATER. It's contradictory, but it's what works. You probably, in those three items, ingested a week's worth of sodium. RDA for sodium is 1500, with a suggested limit at 2500mg. A bowl of soup can have a single day's worth of sodium all by itself. A slice of pizza, especially if it's got pepperoni or ham on it? Just as much, if not more. Wings? The sodium is all in the sauce.

Until you flush it out of your system your body will continue to hold on to water. You can counter act it some with potassium (eat more bananas!!) but flushing with water is what will help the most. And it will take a few days, don't expect instant results.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Never let what you can't do interfere with what you can do. You can't change what's been done, but you can get right back after it today!
  • om98
    om98 Posts: 48
    what happened happened , the important thing that u back to weight loss track immediately .
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    I steped on the slace this morning and i gained 4lbs..

Unless you ate in excess of 14,000 calories over your TDEE then it is mostly just water. Over the next few days reduce your sodium intake, raise your potassium intake, and drink a little more water to flush your system. You may have actually gained a pound but certainly not four.