A challenge for this week

I have been worrying and thinking and worrying and thinking about my son and his weight this week. I have been reading all types
of health tidbits that can be done to improve his (and our family's) health that will bit by bit further our progress over time. He has lost
ten pounds this past three weeks and I am so proud of him and want to help every which way I can which I am sure the rest of
you do too with your kids/families. So, I have decided that I am going to do two things: cut out the fruit juice completely (he doesn't
drink tons of it, but it will help I am sure) and try to have at least a few gluten free and raw vegan meals...hopefully he will like them but I am not counting on it...at least not at first! We are already vegetarian (well he and my hubby do eat fish/chicken once in a while).
What sort of little things can you start in your preteen's diet/exercise this week? And just wondering does anyone know of a fitness site like MFP for kids? I think it would really help them if they could get encouragement from their peers...

Replies

• braggsalot
    braggsalot Posts: 41 Member
    Argh! My post didn't go through.

Anyways I think this is a great idea.

My mini goal for my family this week is 1 hour computer time a day and 2 hours of tv time a day *one hour during the day and one hour after dark* and I would like for everyone to do something physical for an hour a day.

My mini goal for my family this week is 1 hour computer time a day and 2 hours of tv time a day *one hour during the day and one hour after dark* and I would like for everyone to do something physical for an hour a day.

I think this is a good idea...I have limits for pc time as well (we got rid of cable a few years ago) but over the summer vacation my son has slowly been sneaking extra time. Thanks for reminding me of that goal as well and I want to more vigilant too.
  • Kristy713ckm
    Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
    Excellent thoughts. My family has a GYM membership, but my son doesn't always go when he can. He says "he's tired". But I'm going to encourage him to go, more frequently. My husband shopped with me, and discouraged me from buying any crackers, chips or ice cream because he can't/doesn't portion control. So we just won't have any....

By the way, SPARKPEOPLE has a site for teens. I don't remember what the age limit was, but I created a log in for my son who's getting more savy about computers. But I couldn't figure out how to LOG food there. It just wasn't EASY like MFP is. But lots of people use SparkPeople for their food tracking. I couldn't find "spark people teen" as a separate site, but when I checked it two months ago there was a whole network of teens talking about their struggles.

I think I'll focus on daily activity this week and encourage healthier choices and see how it goes !!! Thanks for the encouragement & thoughts !!!