23lb lost - don't look any different!

Replies

• BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I wouldn't FOCUS on how much you have lost and how you look now. is it the end? You said you have 98 pounds to go...so focus on those 98 pounds. i am sure you look different but just dont notice. Keep your eye on the prize.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    you're doing great! don't get discouraged! 23 lbs is amazing!

if you carry the weight all over (you said you had noticed your ankles - that was the first thing i noticed! i had to tighten the straps of my sandals!) it's hard to see a difference in inches lost at first. it's coming off all over and it can feel imperceptible. i dropped a couple of pants sizes quickly because i use the stationary bike a lot, but it didn't happen until ~30 lbs lost, and i'm still almost the same shirt size :/ and now the pants-size dropping has slowed too. it gets frustrating not to see results. but hang in there.

as people have suggested, take pictures and take regular measurements. it could be too that once you've depleted the fat stores in places like the waist, it'll go in a quick whoosh and you'll notice it suddenly. try not to let the scale rule.
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    With over 100 #'s to lose, and doing cardio, at 23# you are toning and most likely making small progress all over. Hang in there, you will notice it soon. I would not be surprised if in another 10#, you suddenly start noticing those #'s and the first 23#. Keep up the great work. Your on the right course!
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    I have struggled with this issue in the past. Be encouraged that your body composition really is changing, especially if you're doing a little resistance training. I also realized that because I could button or zip or slide an item of clothing on I actually thought it fit. As a result, it took a while for me to see the change in my clothing size.

I will be having a re-do of my bloodwork (lipid panels) at the end of the month b/c I have been working to lower my cholesterol after dr. said 220 total cholesterol was too high. From the outside, we can't see so many of the important changes that are taking place in us.

Hang in there! Be patient with yourself. If you don't see any further changes in 2 or 3 weeks, make an appt w/dr and find out what's going on. I have a low-functioning thyroid and it's not easy, but it's not impossible to lose weight. I wouldn't have known this for sure without seeing the dr about what I suspected to be true. Let's do this one day at a time! :wink:
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Thanks for this post. I can relate. My sister and I were just talking about a similar thing last night. Hang in there and don't give up.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Pictures are so important! Take them in the same outfit if you can. I take monthly photos because I don't weigh myself and when you put them together in photoshop, you will notice a difference.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Be patient. With having a lot to loose, it'll take a little more weight to really notice. Also, not everyone loses weight in the same way as others. Each person gains/loses weight in different parts of the body. Keep with it, before you know it, you'll try on a smaller pair of jeans and be like...omg they fit!! :happy: I started losing weight and I was a loose size 24 in jeans, it took me 45 lbs to try on a size 18 and for them to fit. It made my day. keep your head up, it takes time.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    As above really.

Now, I'm not expecting miracles, and I have definitely noticed a difference in my general health, which I am happy about. But 23lb seems like a pretty substantial weight loss to me, and whilst my ankles are definitely making an appearance, when I measure myself (hips, stomach and thighs), I have not lost an inch!
    My clothes feel exactly the same, and when people ask how I'm doing with my weight loss and I say 23lb, I get a look of disbelief.

I go to the gym around 3-4 times a week, but I do cardio exercises, not muscle building.

Has anyone else experienced this? I do have a grand total of 121lb to lose (98lb left), so I'm wondering if it's because I have a long way to go. It's not overly motivating, if I'm honest.

it depends on your height somewhat...I am 5'2" and have lost 25lbs so far. It took losing about 15lbs before I definitely saw a difference. Pictures have been my best friend in all this. When I took my measurements, I think I pulled the tape too tight, so my measurements seemingly didn't change for ages :( I have still only lost about a size...

this was about 5-7 lbs lost
    7355961762_499d855e15_s.jpg
    dillons party by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

and this is roughly 25lbs lost, exact same outfit!!
    7719017984_9b6ec5f26f_s.jpg
    IMG00645-20120726-0919 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    My advice to you is not to get hung up about the numbers vs. the time frame. Stick with your routine. I gaurantee your cardiovascular system is getting a lot better. That should be your first mini goal to feeling better. As far as the looks of disbelief, you will have that, but as long as you stay motivated and you believe in yourself. Success will come your way.

As long as your eating healthy and sticking with your routine, you can do nothing but WIN!!!!!!
  • I read that it will take 4 weeks to notice it yourself, 8 weeks for your SO to see it, and 12 weeks for everyone else. I noticed it in my face first. I noticed that if i altered what I ate (no sodium or carbs) I could really see it.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    I started with 210 to lose and I've lost 42. I see some changes around my face, and my husband says he's noticed around my waist, but I went in presuming it would be a long while before I would really see change. To me the big change, and very welcome, is that I feel a great deal better and can do more than before.

I'd love to be able to see bigger differences because they can be so motivating, but one of the consequences of having done this to myself is how slowly obvious results will be. I can deal with this.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I've had some lovely messages sent to me as well, which I will answer when I have time :)

I'm not going to give up. The picture of the internal fat has really made me feel quite good, because to be honest, the fact that my lungs no longer feel like they are bleeding when I walk up a set of stairs shows that I must be doing something right. And, I have never had this much energy in my life.

It''s nice to hear that it's not just me!
  • Colleen0980
    Colleen0980 Posts: 6 Member
    Don't be disheartened it will come and you should definitely stick at it. 23lbs is an amazing loss that is a stone and a half - you are definitely doing something right! well done and keep at it! :-)

When you said you were just doing cardio though that rang alarm bells for me as I read something recently that was trying to dispell the myth that weight work just slows down your weight loss (and something else dispelling the myth that endless running is the best medicine).

it is true that muscle weighs more but it also burns more calories and makes your metabolism more efficient. If I were you I would speak to someone at the gym about the problem you're having and see if they can provide you with a more balanced fitness regime that helps you tone up and slim down holistically.

Here are the articles I read:

http://www.zest.co.uk/gym/add-dumbbells-to-your-workout-routine/2180.html

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

good luck and don't lose heart!
  • the first 30 or so pounds i didnt feel like I had changed even a little bit but in reality I had it just wasnt that noticeable.. dont let it unmotivate you cuz trust me you will get to the point where everything starts getting to big on you and you go wow even tho i dont think I look like ive lost any weight you have!! have you done before and after photos? thats helps then you do a side by side comparison thats how i figured out that it actually looks like ive lost weight lol
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    If you're noticing a positive difference in how you feel, that is a hundred times better than a difference in how you look. I'd far rather feel better than look better. The changes in looks will come in time - and the fact that you feel so much better already indicates that lots of good changes have happened in your body, and that they are starting on the inside, which is the best place to start, otherwise the changes would be just superficial.
  • yngone
    yngone Posts: 52 Member
    Right there with ya girl, exactly, and like 80 to go....... people haven't noticed with me either, but I can honestly feel the difference. More range of motion in the middle, sounds kinda kooky huh? Hoping its that organ fat melting away..... :noway: that picture was hideous and scary!

Dont fret,..... We are doing it!
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    I totally understand where you are coming from!! I had lost 17 pounds and didn't notice a difference at all. But I wasn't doing strength training. Once I started that, and started eating more (I was doing the 1200 calorie a day and burning 500 of the 1200....not good), now I can see a difference. I went to see my family and when I walked in, there faces made my day!! They noticed a difference, which is what I wanted!! About people not believing that you are losing, don't worry about what others think...I speak from experience! I have gotten to the point, I have stopped telling people that I am trying to lose weight. It was putting unnecessary stress on myself. Keep at it!! You are doing an amazing job!! :flowerforyou:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    As above really.

Now, I'm not expecting miracles, and I have definitely noticed a difference in my general health, which I am happy about. But 23lb seems like a pretty substantial weight loss to me, and whilst my ankles are definitely making an appearance, when I measure myself (hips, stomach and thighs), I have not lost an inch!
    My clothes feel exactly the same, and when people ask how I'm doing with my weight loss and I say 23lb, I get a look of disbelief.

I go to the gym around 3-4 times a week, but I do cardio exercises, not muscle building.

Has anyone else experienced this? I do have a grand total of 121lb to lose (98lb left), so I'm wondering if it's because I have a long way to go. It's not overly motivating, if I'm honest.

I have experienced it, yes. I'll just toss a few thoughts out:
    - congratulations on losing 23 lbs! Next time you're at the grocery store, put 23 lbs of butter in your cart. Now take it out again. YOU did that. Now put 1 lb back in the cart because butter is delicious.
    - Think about toilet paper - take 10 squares off a full roll & compare the before and after. Now take 10 squares off a nearly empty roll. HUGE difference right? It just LOOKS slow in the beginning.
    - Your mind is used to thinking of yourself as overweight. You might be seeing your old self even though there are definitely changes. I was like this. I didn't even see before/after differences with 45 lbs lost. (granted I had much more to lose)
    - I'm not a big fan of cardio. If that's what you really enjoy, then do it, but you will see and measure more differences if you do weights and/or sprinting instead. I don't like appeals to authority, but studies are showing that long form cardio is ineffective for long term weight loss.
    -Smile. You're headed in the right direction and you're WAY ahead of all those people still sitting at home on the couch.
    -Addendum: have somebody else wield the tape measure. It's hard (or at least it was for me) to get accurate measurements when you're measuring yourself.
    -Also, it will be hard to tell fit changes with elastic clothing & I know at my top weight I was hitting the elastic pretty hard.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    I am trying not to get discouraged, it's just hard, especially when people don't actually believe you are losing weight.

Thing is, if I haven't lost an inch, where/how am I losing it?

Lauren ,

First i want to congratulate you on your 23 pound loss to date. That is amazing and i hope you keep going and dont get discouraged. Everyone loses weight in different areas and at different rates depending on how much they weigh and what exercises they do.

Losing weight is hard work and you are doing it for you , in your way. Dont think about what other people think of your weight loss. Its your journey not theirs. Whether you lose inches or not at least you are losing and at this point in the game i would just keep focusing on weight loss. It will show eventually believe me.

I lost 31lbs so far and have had a few ppl say "something looks different...maybe your face? " That is the only place I can see much change and my shoulders....the rest i just dont see it yet......good luck to you .........and remember the definition of beautiful does not require the word skinny.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    I have no where near your amazing loss but for a long time i didn't see any changes, the numbers on the scale ticked down but i felt the same ( bla) then one week i saw my reflection and thought not bad! )
    you will get there and it will feel amazing

maybe you are losing the most dangerous fat of all which is the internal fat that is around your organs so this loss may mean the most for your health! everyone looses fat from different places at different rates. the most important thing is you are doing it. you are on the weight loss journey which is not a Sunday stroll it is and always will be a b£%$!y hard slog up a big mountain and there may be some bumps and some slides down but every step is a step up that mountain and the view from the top will be AMAZING.

so congratulations and good luck and celebrate every achievements (i.e. the ankles) - though not with food. as i saw on the motivational sayings thread and has now become my favorite saying
    "you are not a dog - don't reward yourself with food"