skipping breakfast

Options
iluvsparkles
iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
Hi! I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on the effects of skipping breakfast. I know that it is best to eat breakfast, and that it 'jump starts your metablolism for the day, but just how much does NOT eating breakfast hurt you?
Ive never been much of a breakfast person, and it is usualy somewhere around lunchtime before i get a true appetite.
I know im not the only one out there that does it.so fess up!

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi! I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on the effects of skipping breakfast. I know that it is best to eat breakfast, and that it 'jump starts your metablolism for the day, but just how much does NOT eating breakfast hurt you?
    Ive never been much of a breakfast person, and it is usualy somewhere around lunchtime before i get a true appetite.
    I know im not the only one out there that does it.so fess up!
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help..I'm STARVING come 8 o'clock, sometimes I can hold out until 10 o'clock. But, 11 o'clock is really pushing it.
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Do you eat late at night? :huh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I never really crave breakfast either. I usually have a banana and a yogurt thought, because I know its important to have SOMETHING. Its good to fuel your body regularly, I thought I heard every 3 to 4 hours but that could be off. If you're not hungry RIGHT when you get up thats ok, have your morning coffee and have something to eat an hour later. Even soemthing small is better than nothing. :drinker:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It is important enough that you don't want to miss it. Basically if you've eaten your last meal at 8pm, and then wake up at 8am the next morning, thats 12 hours your body has gone without food. Its also 12 hours over which your body will start to slow your metabolism. If you skip breakfast, and then wait until noon, thats 16 hours since you've last eaten - 2/3rds of a day!
  • carpat
    carpat Posts: 13
    Options
    I also never eat breakfast, I never did. However, they say its important but when I did try I gained weight? soooo, at night if I get hungry after 8;30pm, I eat ceral only !!!! seems to be ok
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    breakfast is pretty important. The body doesn't run on a 24 hour clock like we like to think. It runs continuously, therefore, the longer you go with no energy comming in, the more your body will start to think you are in starvation, so if you don't eat after 7 or 8 pm, and then don't eat again until noon the next day, you are essentially causing your body to burn lean tissue to get your energy. It will also burn fat, but fat only contains energy, not any of the other important things you need to survive (vitamins, minerals, iron, fatty acids...etc.

You really should have a breakfast of whole grain carbs, fatty acids, protein and some kind of fruit to really give your body everything it needs for the day. Do that and you don't need to worry about a big dinner (dinner should be the smallest of the 3 meals generally, unless you are on a specific program (like certain weight training programs)
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    EAT BREAKFAST!!!! or don't lose weight and mess up your metabolism!! Just like mom used to say, it's the most important meal of the day. It should also be the largest meal of the day. that way you have all day to burn those calories and use the energy created by it to get through the long work day. Eat breakfast, I don't care if you're not hungry or don't feel like it, skipping any meal just tells your body that it is being deprived of food and to keep every calorie and ounce of fat just in case you don't feed it again for a long time. Your dinner the night before will now be stored as fat and harder to work off because you didn't replace it with nutrition. Can you really go 14+ hours without eating?? Are you tired in the morning, feeling the day dragging until lunch, eat protein and fruit even if it's just a yogurt with some fruit.
    EAT UP!
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I used to eat only lunch & dinner & wondered why I wasn't losing. I didn't feel hungry, but I think that's because my body was used to it. Now I eat 5-6 times a day and make sure I eat breakfast within an hour after I get up, I am now losing 1lb a week and feel great. I am still not very hungry when I get up, but still eat breakfast and then I feel good the rest of the day. Try it for a few weeks and see how your body adjusts.
  • carrieclark
    Options
    what would a fatty acid be?
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I say eat breakfast... everytime I skip on breakfast, I am STARVING by lunchtime and tend to binge.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Eat like a KING at BREAKFAST
    a PRINCE at LUNCH
    and a PAUPER at DINNER

That's the saying I've heard.

And you exercise late in the day and you worry about eating your exercise calories, so you should eat a big breakfast so you're not worrying about eating those workout calories!
    Have instant oatmeal and some fruit or something in the morning. and maybe a fiber one yogurt. (those are pretty yummy!)
    J
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Eat like a KING at BREAKFAST
    a PRINCE at LUNCH
    and a PAUPER at DINNER

I LOVE that saying :)
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    it is the first thing in your tum tum, and therefore kicks up your metablolism, it helps you focus, get going etc. I know I feel sick if I dont have it. tired headache all that stuff, plus by skipping it it sets up fight or flight response in your body basically causing your body to hold on to fat and wont help you lose. I try to never miss a meal or snack
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I also never eat breakfast, I never did. However, they say its important but when I did try I gained weight? soooo, at night if I get hungry after 8;30pm, I eat ceral only !!!! seems to be ok

It's like pulling teeth to get my daughter (she's 7) to ever eat breakfast. She doesn't want it & won't eat it. I'm thinking at this point I'm not going to push it. :smile:

(Course school serves them lunch at 10:45 too.) :noway:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    what would a fatty acid be?
    DHA, Omega-3's things like that