If you saw a ten year old girl with an iPhone....

Replies

• runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    i wouldnt think twice about it. i dont see anything wrong with a 10 year old having a smart phone. in fact its probably nearing the point of necessity in this day and age.

Why does it have to be a smart phone though? What's wrong with a cheap, re-chargable phone that is used for calling mom and dad only? While I wouldn't allow my child to have a cell phone at that age if I felt the need to -- for example if they were going away to camp out of state and I needed to be in touch with them -- I most certainly wouldn't get them an iPhone. There is just no need for that amount of technology for a ten year old.

I agree with this. the purpose is to call mom and dad or text (up to a certain limit), no need for a smart phone.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    A cell phone is nothing. My daughter's school is going to iPads instead of textbooks this year. Every kids has to have their own iPad. It only applies to 8-12 grades this coming school year, but I think the plan is to move it down to sixth grade next year. I can already hear the comments that are going to come along with 11-year olds having their own iPads, even if it is for school.

That is absurd. How is every parent supposed to afford an ipad for their child? Especially if they have more than one going to that school at a time. My mother wouldn't have been able to afford it at the time my brother and I were that age. I better hope I start making 6 figures before having a child because the requirements will get even more expensive by the time they're in school. :grumble:

hopefully they can borrow ipads while in school or something. kids need to be exposed to technology at a young age.

im sure there was a time where parents were questioning the requirement of students to have calculators and graphics calculators because they felt they were too expensive.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    That is absurd. How is every parent supposed to afford an ipad for their child? Especially if they have more than one going to that school at a time. My mother wouldn't have been able to afford it at the time my brother and I were that age. I better hope I start making 6 figures before having a child because the requirements will get even more expensive by the time they're in school. :grumble:
    Public schools going to this will provide the iPads in the classrooms. No one is making parents purchase an iPad. Many private schools already have this policy and the cost is written into the tuition.

It's still unnecessary. What's wrong with using textbooks? They aren't that heavy. :/
  • Laces_0ut
    i wouldnt think twice about it. i dont see anything wrong with a 10 year old having a smart phone. in fact its probably nearing the point of necessity in this day and age.

Why does it have to be a smart phone though? What's wrong with a cheap, re-chargable phone that is used for calling mom and dad only? While I wouldn't allow my child to have a cell phone at that age if I felt the need to -- for example if they were going away to camp out of state and I needed to be in touch with them -- I most certainly wouldn't get them an iPhone. There is just no need for that amount of technology for a ten year old.

so that they can use it for all the things we enjoy using a smart phone for. just put parental restrictions on the things you dont want them having access too.
  • galededras
    galededras Posts: 45 Member
    My 13 year old is on his third iPhone. But, he always gets my hand-me-down phone when I upgrade. I wouldn't allow my child out there in the world alone without a way to communicate with me. He's home alone for two hours before I get home from work on most nights so him having a phone is a necessity.

He also has an iPad, and a top of the line laptop, and wears name brand clothing. He's a great kid who does well in school, is involved in many extracurricular activities, is goal oriented and kind to others. If I want to reward him for being a great kid, that's my business. I've worked my tail off as a single mother to be able to do so. And HE knows that he has to work his tail off to be rewarded with nice things. He knows if he does poorly in school, decides to drop his extracurricular activities to sit in front of the TV or treat people poorly, then he won't be given nice things.

That lady was out of line.
  • Although i love my smart phone, i miss the days when there were none. Kids seem to have it so easy these days (in THAT way, not every way) but i remember riding my bike around the neighborhood LOOKING for my friends, and they just call them up!! Life just seemed better withouth them. BUT IM KEEPING MINE!!!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    I think anyone with an iPhone is stupid, but I wouldn't yell at a kid for that.

What? I'm confused as to why you would judge someone just because they have an iPhone? Sounds more like jealousy to me.
    I just think it's stupid to pay so much for a phone. How many people actually NEED a smartphone, really?

Why does everything have to be a "need"? I'm an adult woman with a decent salary. I bought an IPhone because I **wanted** one. You seem quite judgy. :grumble:
    It was a joke. Of course you don't have to need something to buy it if you have money. And to clarify, I don't like the iPhone because of what it represents--a society obsessed with buying trendy, disposable garbage because they want to fit a certain image. I was talking more about kids than adults.
  • Laces_0ut
    Public schools going to this will provide the iPads in the classrooms. No one is making parents purchase an iPad. Many private schools already have this policy and the cost is written into the tuition.

It's still unnecessary. What's wrong with using textbooks? They aren't that heavy. :/

whats wrong with using an abacus? :)

and have you seen kids backpacks these days? they are loaded with books...they look like mountain sherpas.
  • Erisad
    A cell phone is nothing. My daughter's school is going to iPads instead of textbooks this year. Every kids has to have their own iPad. It only applies to 8-12 grades this coming school year, but I think the plan is to move it down to sixth grade next year. I can already hear the comments that are going to come along with 11-year olds having their own iPads, even if it is for school.

hopefully they can borrow ipads while in school or something. kids need to be exposed to technology at a young age.

im sure there was a time where parents were questioning the requirement of students to have calculators and graphics calculators because they felt they were too expensive.

Most schools have laptops and computers already. Do they really need to waste more money on technology they don't need when they are cutting teachers and programs left and right?

I don't know if calculators were ever as expensive as an Ipad though. Well with inflation, maybe. But in those days you could count on your fingers and get the same result. :P
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member

so that they can use it for all the things we enjoy using a smart phone for. just put parental restrictions on the things you dont want them having access too.

They're TEN They shouldn't be texting -- who the heck does a ten year old have to text any way? -- or surfing the internet. If they want to play games then get them a flipping Nintendo or Play Station hand held thing.

Sorry but I think a ten year old having a smart phone to "use it for all the tings we enjoy" is ridiculous.

I grew up without a cell phone and the only form of entertainment I had was *gasp* playing out side with my friends!
  • My 10 year old daughter has a iphone.. and if anyone said anything about it to her then they need to take it up with me. lol idiots now days..
  • _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    what is wrong with that......all kids have phones...even 5 and 6 year olds. My daughter has one!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,988 Member
    I personally think that 10 is way too young to have a cell phone, but I also think it depends on the child and how responsible and mature they are and also on what they are involved in es sports and stuff where they are away from their parents, etc. But it is not my place to decide what is appropriate for someone elses child and I would never say anything
  • Laces_0ut

It was a joke. Of course you don't have to need something to buy it if you have money. And to clarify, I don't like the iPhone because of what it represents--a society obsessed with buying trendy, disposable garbage because they want to fit a certain image. I was talking more about kids than adults.

im not sure of the motivation of teenagers when buying phones these days but i dont see too many adults buying phones to be trendy or as status symbols. (thats so last decade) everyone has one and they all do about the same thing.
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Was she sending evil text messages? Was she using the iphone to summon demons from hell? Was she hitting other children with the iphone? Was she telling other kids that they are neanderthals because they don't have one and then taking photos of them and posting them with the "DORK" label on facebook? Was she having long, loud conversations on that phone in a place where silence was expected?

As a parent, I am often astonished by how people feel their own parenting rules should extend to everyone and if you fail to follow their rules you have failed as a parent and your kid needs to be told that on behalf of all parents everywhere. If your child is not being disruptive, rude, or using her iphone for evil world domination purposes, then my opinion is that it is not right to comment.

Most definately this. It is no ones business if and what kind of phone your child has. Sounds more like someone was jealous a kid had a better phone than they did.
  • galededras
    galededras Posts: 45 Member
    Forgot to mention, that because of my son having his phone on him at all times...I can track his location 24/7. It's a crazy world out there today, and having that piece of mind is priceless to me.
  • Erisad

whats wrong with using an abacus? :)

and have you seen kids backpacks these days? they are loaded with books...they look like mountain sherpas.

Absolutely nothing. Except most kids would probably think an Abacus is a band or something.

I know, it wasn't too long ago that I was in school ya know? They banned backpacks from my middle school and high school and we had to carry all our books in our arms. So they're lucky they're able to use backpacks instead of running to and from their locker after every class. :grumble:
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294

im not sure of the motivation of teenagers when buying phones these days but i dont see too many adults buying phones to be trendy or as status symbols. (thats so last decade) everyone has one and they all do about the same thing.
    That's what I was saying, it's younger people. Everyone has one? Where do you live? :huh:
  • If the parent thinks their child is ready and responsible enough for a phone, I say go for it. My nephew (from my oldest brother) is only about 9 or 10 and he has a Blackberry.

And my niece from another brother will be getting an I-Pad for her 4th birthday...

I don't really understand about the I-Pad since my niece has a habit of throwing her toys at the wall, but it's their money so....
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,848 Member
    I would probably just think she was one spoiled little girl and leave it at that.