Learning how to stay out of the FRIENDZONE...

So if you haven't read the other thread, a conversation started about women who think they are intimidating yet really just are not showing any sexuality or interest in a man. They become the proverbial "Good Guy/ Girl" and end up in the friendzone instead of dating someone they are interested in. Ultimately, they rarely get asked out (in my case)....and have a ton of male friends.

I shared that this is a huge problem for me. Here were my comments.... thought we'd start a new thread to discuss how to avoid the issue above, especially when it's not natural for all of us...
Flam's point about aura is dead on. There is a fine line between showing a slightly sexual side enough for a guy to get the point that you're interested in more than friendship and just being his friendly buddy. I am always friendzoned but typically do it to myself because I treat all men as friends to start instead of making more obvious that I'm interested. Most of my best guy friends are men I actually had a crush on, haha (not that they know that).

I think it's hard when it's not natural to you to figure out how to change that up. I jokingly asked an ex if I just needed to walk around with a sucker in my mouth staring guys in the eyes, haha. It would work but probably not to attract someone worth dating... it always turned him on, ha!

I still haven't figured it out, but I'm working on it a little at a time. I feel more feminine and slightly flirty when I wear clothing like skirts or that shows off my figure a little more, now that I have one, though still work or socially appropriate of course. I'm working on looking men quickly in the eye (not staring), batting my eyes a bit more, yet still being my friendly self.... not sure if it'll work, but at least I feel more feminine. If anyone else has ideas on this, I'd LOVE to hear it....

So, ladies... what can we do to avoid this trap? And guys, what have you seen women do that made it obvious she was interested, short of walking around with a sucker in her mouth staring you down, haha?

Replies

• Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    I've got my notebook ready because I am awesome at getting into the friendzone, and abysmal otherwise.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    I am beginning to think none of us know how and that's why we're Single Peeps... I've gotten several comments from my friends on here already waiting to take notes, ha! We need advice to do that, PEEPS!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    LOL!

The friend zone is a bigger trap for men than it is for women.

Single men will only friend women they don't find physically attractive. If a guy is physically attracted to a woman, he wants to have sex with her.

I stay out of the friend zone very well in my day to day local interactions. I let attractive women know what I want through a combination of my words and actions, and that the friend zone is unacceptable.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    I've been friendzoned by one guy I was really interested in. I don't think I did anything to purposely end up there. I flirted yet was myself with him on our first few dates. We messed around so there was physical attraction there as well. In those cases, I don't think you can help it. Someone just decides you're better off as friends.. either you or him (I have friendzoned someone after dating as well).

If you're continuously ending up in the friend zone, then yes, I'd say maybe there's a lack of sensuality, sexuality or availability vibe you're not giving out.

I'm not sure how it works for men but for women just do things that make you feel sexy. If I'm in a flirty mood, it's usually due to confidence which is due to how I'm dressed, etc. For other's it might be something completely different. The point is to be approachable yet friendly without losing the charm.. if that makes sense.

Being friendzoned SUCKS. The only difference between someone in the friendzone and someone in the non-friendzone is that you're physically attracted to them. Simple yet not as simple once you're IN the friendzone.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Try to do things that aren't over the top but that are atypical. One example, I can think of that would have been apparent to me if I wasn't so overweight at the time that I couldn't comprehend any woman flirting with me happened outside the Rec Center on Campus. It was raining slightly and the girl was behind me and offered to walk me to my car under her umbrella. We chatted for the walk and she said things like her name, what she was studying and that she saw me in the gym a lot. It was pretty obvious (after the fact) that I could have asked her to get coffee or something. I really kicked myself for not realizing what was happening at the time. My semester got busy enough that I didn't make it back to the gym much either so I never saw her again.

Another one I saw work once with a girl who knew the guy a little bit more than just seeing him around involved asking the guy what his favorite pick up lines were when he was trying to meet women. The guy who was asked the question gave off like 4 or 5 lines and then did the automatic thing of asking the girl about her favorite pick up lines. She responded that her best pick up line was to ask a guy what his favorite pick up lines were.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    I haven't really had the Friendzone problem, myself. Not sure why.

Regarding advice for women, I think the first impression (or perhaps first few impressions) is critical. You must seem like a potential romantic partner immediately. This doesn't mean walking around with a sucker in your mouth... :-) It does mean being a bit flirty and feminine. Not one of the guys!!!

I think it's hard to find the right balance, however. Speaking as an American who lives in Europe, it's so much easier to flirt here, especially at work. And since we often meet potential partners at work, or through work (friend of a colleague, drinks with colleagues after work with a few others present, etc.), how you manage these initial interactions is very important.

In America, they constantly drum into men how terrible (literally criminal) it is to flirt with women at work. You start to view women as asexual beings as a defense mechanism. Better safe than sorry, right? And the way many American women dress at work reinforces this. People spend more and more time at work, so a good part of their lives is de facto off limits when seeking mates.

You have a better shot when meeting people completely outside of work, but your time is limited. Hence the rise of on-line dating. But that carries its own intrinsic problems: too many losers, too unnatural, etc.

I think the art of flirting is severely lacking now in America. And the new generation, just "hanging out" or "poking" each other on Facebook, well... That's just too sad to even discuss. Pretty soon we'll need to go back to arranged marriages to ensure we continue to procreate as a species.

--P
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I'm not subtle at all, if I'm interested in a guy he'll know. Sometimes because I do the smile/flirt/small touches and sometimes because I just say that I'm interested. You know what the best part is? No guy is gonna get offended by that (at least no guy that I would want to spend any more time with). If you're suffering from too much subtlety just put it out there. Why waste time with hints and lose a chance? What's the worst that's going to happen?

EDIT: Before I get crucified for some as yet unforeseen reason allow me to clarify: I am single by choice, not because this tactic doesn't work.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    No problem here. The only male friends I have are gay. haha :)

Still an interesting thread though.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    I'm not subtle at all, if I'm interested in a guy he'll know. Sometimes because I do the smile/flirt/small touches and sometimes because I just say that I'm interested. You know what the best part is? No guy is gonna get offended by that (at least no guy that I would want to spend any more time with). If you're suffering from too much subtlety just put it out there. Why waste time with hints and lose a chance? What's the worst that's going to happen?

EDIT: Before I get crucified for some as yet unforeseen reason allow me to clarify: I am single by choice, not because this tactic doesn't work.
    I would just repeat this. I am very obvious when I am interested in a guy and don't really have a problem getting friend zoned - if there is potential interest back. If I'm interested, he is going to get me smiling at him while looking straight in the eyes a lot, touching his arm, paying him compliments, etc. That's not to say that every guy I've ever met and felt attracted to has reciprocated. I know I'm not everyone's type, but most of my adult life I've been average weight and pretty curvy, which the men I've met at least seem to like. I have had the problem more of having guys in my friend zone who I knew were interested and it wasn't mutual for whatever reason.

I am currently single because I've got some big things going on in my life, so I'm taking a break from it all and working on getting fit and back to a better weight.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    I am often a victim of the friend zone, and I think I know why.

1) I get super nervous around guys that I like - and I often can't speak and I'm shaky, and I can feel my heart beating fast. And I get massively awkward sometimes too lol. So to combat this, I try to act cool and think of the guy as a friend, and so I don't flirt too much. Maybe that turns guys off, and makes them think of me as a friend.

2) I am often relished to the role of "sidekick." It's happened to me my whole life with various friend groups. So my friends flirt and I just hang out waiting for them to finish their free drink.

3) I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I am not really one to show off my assets. I dress in a way that I find attractive, but 99% of the time I cover up my boobs and legs. I just don't like showing them off to everyone. I usually wear tank tops, but higher cut ones, and jeans. I wear shorts in everyday life, but not to go out with friends. Meanwhile, my friends love showing off their boobs! So I think that guys don't think I'm sexual enough - my style is really girl next door-y: tank tops, cardigans, skinny jeans, boat shoes, boots, flats. Not sure if this is actually the case but just my suspicion.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Try leaning in, smiling, reach out and squeeze his elbow just a little bit. When I say smiling, I mean turn on that completely brilliant mega-watt smile right into his eyes and hold him there for just a split second longer than you have to. Then compliment his pants or something. You won't be stuck in the friendzone :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Some women are just brilliant at flirting and making their intentions known. I've looked at friends in action over the years, and they usually are the one's that are never single.

The whole mating game kind of embarrasses me. I get shy and nervous and back off when I feel someone looking at me. And when I do let my feelings known its usually mistimed/too late!!

But seeing as I think its all to do with timing, there are sometimes when I gel with someone and get it right :huh:

I dont really know if there is a 'formula' to follow, but I suppose being smiley, approachable, flirty, sexual, confident all get thrown into the pot at some point .........
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Let's put it simple.

Ladies - Let him know you're interested. Like some of what the women said...sit closer to him. Tell him how good he looks. Invite him over to your place later at night. Rule of thumb: do things that his "bro"/friend wouldn't do.

Fellas - We just need to buck up and go for it. If she turns you down...there's 4,000,000,000 other women out there. She's not even a fraction of a fraction of the females on earth.
  • christine24t
    Invite him over to your place later at night.

I like the rest of your post, but I kind of object to this. To show you we like you, we have to invite you over for what I'm presuming to be sexual activity before we're committed? To some girls this is no problem, but to me, I refuse to do that. Just so some men understand here, just because she doesn't wanna have sex right away doesn't mean she doesn't like you.
  • AnnaPixie

I like the rest of your post, but I kind of object to this. To show you we like you, we have to invite you over for what I'm presuming to be sexual activity before we're committed? To some girls this is no problem, but to me, I refuse to do that. Just so some men understand here, just because she doesn't wanna have sex right away doesn't mean she doesn't like you.

I didnt see the guy mention sex Christine - your mind is in the gutter!! :laugh: :wink:
  • christine24t

I didnt see the guy mention sex Christine - your mind is in the gutter!! :laugh: :wink:

Haha oh well then sure he can come over! I'll make a pot of coffee even!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member

1) I get super nervous around guys that I like - and I often can't speak and I'm shaky, and I can feel my heart beating fast. And I get massively awkward sometimes too lol. So to combat this, I try to act cool and think of the guy as a friend, and so I don't flirt too much. Maybe that turns guys off, and makes them think of me as a friend.

2) I am often relished to the role of "sidekick." It's happened to me my whole life with various friend groups. So my friends flirt and I just hang out waiting for them to finish their free drink.

3) I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I am not really one to show off my assets. I dress in a way that I find attractive, but 99% of the time I cover up my boobs and legs. I just don't like showing them off to everyone. I usually wear tank tops, but higher cut ones, and jeans. I wear shorts in everyday life, but not to go out with friends. Meanwhile, my friends love showing off their boobs! So I think that guys don't think I'm sexual enough - my style is really girl next door-y: tank tops, cardigans, skinny jeans, boat shoes, boots, flats. Not sure if this is actually the case but just my suspicion.

This gets back to past discussions on here and as it seems you do recognize that certain things are a detriment I hope you really do work towards changing them.
    This is why I thought it silly the times many said "oh,don`t ever change for a guy" with the presumption that one just has to wait it out for the miracle to happen.
    It is not intended to be ridiculing so please don`t take it that way at all but your reason #1 is a good argument for why that is a wrong way to go.
    Being socially incapable is just not going to work so it has to change...really hope you can and do. :flowerforyou:
  • christine24t

This gets back to past discussions on here and as it seems you do recognize that certain things are a detriment I hope you really do work towards changing them.
    This is why I thought it silly the times many said "oh,don`t ever change for a guy" with the presumption that one just has to wait it out for the miracle to happen.
    It is not intended to be ridiculing so please don`t take it that way at all but your reason #1 is a good argument for why that is a wrong way to go.
    Being socially incapable is just not going to work so it has to change...really hope you can and do. :flowerforyou:

In the past year or so, my nerves have gotten a ton better. They're still there, but it does get easier with time. I used to physically shake, and now my trembling has gotten much less, but it still occurs from time to time. It's funny though, because that is usually how I know that I find a guy attractive. I can talk all day to a guy who I have no romantic interest in.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    To stay out of this "friend zone" you have to have what the other girls don't.... This comes natural. If you don't have it, you can't force it. If you're just friends clearly you don't make him got and probably can't.

Oh well, plenty of other better specimens out there.
  • AnnaPixie

4. You are too set in your ideals. You think in terms of black and white and life just aint like that. You think a man should be and do XYX, when men (humans) are far from perfect. I think you'd do well to get out your comfort zones and do something you'd never think you'd ever do. (Ask a guy out. Wear a low cut top. Pinch a guys *kitten*. Play kiss chase. Buy a guy a drink. Invite a guy back to your rooms and play music all night. Compliment a guy on his eyes/hair/humour. Put your arm round a random stranger!! /etc etc etc) Broaden your horizons and be more forgiving. F*** the consequences, you might even enjoy it! :flowerforyou:

What happened to the guy you danced with???

PS You really dont have to have sex if you invite someone back to your place. You are in control. Again, I just think you need to widen your horizons and stop thinking in terms of right and wrong!