Hungry every night!

Replies

• Today is day 3 and I'm struggling too with the same issue at night. During the day at work, I can control my eating. I like the suggestion about the 100 cal bag of popcorn.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    I used to have the same problem, have my evening meal around 7:30/8pm and then be hungry again around 10/10:30. My nutritionist advised me to add 20g of decent protein to my meal. Either a Steamed or Grilled Skinless Chicken Breast or Salmon Fillet.

Bingo, no more cravings, and my weight loss increased too.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Grab a snack before bed. Problem solved.
  • +1 on the peanut butter suggestion. Of course it always depends on your full lifestyle. Personally I have a very heavy workout from 9:00-10:30 at night. If I don't have protein before working out, I am very lethargic and starving afterwards. Sometimes I do 1 glass of milk and 1 spoon of peanut butter after working out. When I have particularly strong hunger pangs, I eat a bowl of oatmeal (1 cup oats + raisins, cinnamon,a nd splenda

I think what is important is not to get to that point. If you eat dinner at 6:00 and are hungry at 9:00, make it a point to get a spoon of peanut butter or something similar at 8:00.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    I find that if my dinner is a higher-fat/ protein meal (a good, healthy fat - omega-3 or medium chain fatty acid like coconut oil for cooking or olive oil as a dressing), I am completely full. Fats get a bad rap, but the right kinds at the right times in a reasonable amount can be a godsend.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    For me protein does the trick. My favorite snack at night is bing cherries and Greek yogurt. you can sweeten with a little bit of honey... delicious. Or if you are in the mood for something salty greek yogurt dip with veggies should help. To save all the calories until right before going to bed might not be the healthiest choice, it gives me indigestion and nightmares:huh:
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    My professional oppinion is this:

It is very good to have a light snack before bed. Make sure it is either a protein snack like several hard boiled egg whites or a piece of chicken. Casein works very well. The other option would be good fats like almonds. I also like to take my fish oil supplement before bed. Contrary to popular belief, a fat or protein snack before bed will keep your metabolism raised during sleep and you will not be hungry.

Do not, I repeat do not, eat fruit or carbs before bed if your goal is weight loss. I have had clients gain weight just because they added fruit before bed. The sugars in fruit does not convert in the same way other carbs do. I can write volumes on this, but bottom line the sugars in fruit are stored in your liver, any excess beyond what your liver can hold will be converted to fat.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    I always have two scoops of casein or about a cup of cottage cheese before bed, keeps the protein in the system overnight.

I used to struggle with the same late night cravings the OP mentioned, my fix was keeping myself hydrated throughout the day. For me at least, that almost completely killed them. I still struggle with it sometimes because for years I would eat cookies or something before bed but once you break the habit for a while it's pretty easy to stick to it.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Regardless if I eat a lot during the day or a little, I am still hungry before bed. Because of that, I tend to save calories for that time of night.

I am surprised to hear so many people eat fruit at night. The sugar in fruit does not help me get ready for bed, it winds me up!
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    chromium is supposed to help with cravings - blood sugar etc... that may help but I'd google it or something!

Interesting suggestion. Do you take a pill for it?

Make room for a snack. I work out (religiously - look at my diaries). ... I plan a snack every single day now. I also drink tea at night. Helps keep me full.

What really helped me with my late night snacking and binge control is to pre-log my food for the following day. I see what I am allowing myself to eat, which in return helps me make wise decisions. I used to be big into fruit, til I revamped my macro's and now I eat only 28 grams of sugars a day. With fruit, stick to berries: blueberries, black berries, raspberries....it'll help keep the sugar content down (which in return could spark a binge for more sugar - which in return would send you searching for the cookies and chocolate). Mix it with greek yogurt or cottage cheese. Also, protein is key - the more protein you have, the less hungry you'll be. I try to hit at least 150 of protein a day. My goal is to hit 200 a day for protein. Lean meats, chicken and fish. :)

I can't stress enough how water intake is SO important for help maintaining a balanced day. Lack of water could send you looking for more food. You need to learn the difference between hunger and dehydration. Since drinking nearly a gallon of water a day, I'm not nearly as hungry at night anymore.

Remember that this is a journey, not a race. It's all about finding what works for you. I hope that this litle tibit helped somewhat. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions. :)
  • I found my savior!- Oatmeal. Its only 150 calories for a cup and it fills you up and keeps you full :) I like to eat it for breakfast and then at night if I am running low on calories for the day because I know it will keep me full~
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    eat something!!! But try to make a wise decision .... like something high in protein that will make you feel fuller longer. Try greek yogurt.
  • koen612
    koen612 Posts: 83
    I used to have the same exact problem! Sometimes i would even wake up at 2am and starving. But what works for me is eating dinner a little later around 7pm and i always walk at night so my body will digest it, and then i simply make a protein shake or save half of the one i made earlier in the day, it keeps me full all night! Fruits are okay, but loaded with sugar and carbs which your body will digest fast, protein will take longer to digest. Lot's of water also!
  • Nicole_Altieri
    Nicole_Altieri Posts: 28 Member
    Schedule your meals and snacks so that you put your body in a routine of knowing when it is time to eat and have your food already prepared or sectioned out in small portions and dont eat past a certian time. Keep in mind too that the commercials that are on during that time frame are fast food, snacks, beer - it could be a psycological thing, if you let the thought overcome you then you will fall into the trap. Keep sugar free gum handy - it helps to keep your mouth busy and your mind thinking that its eating from the chewing sensation, plus you burn what ever calories there are in it by chewing. Just a tip I use.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Save calories and eat some egg whites before bed.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    I normally munch on real carrots (not the slimy baby cut carrots) and sometimes celery. I know it is not cookies or chocolate but I am glad I reached my goal this way. Feels healthier.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    I have the same problem. If I dont have any calories left (I dont usually eat back my exercise cals) I will drink some hot tea and that will help!
  • SarahD59
    SarahD59 Posts: 42 Member
    I have low blood sugar and always found that I couldn't make it until morning without waking up hungry and shakey. I was fine throughout the day, but the middle of the night was awful. I found what helped me was drinking a 8 ounce glass of skim milk with 2 tbsp. of "no sugar added" Nesquik mixed in. Is Nesquik the best thing in the world for you? No, but the sugar in it latched to the protein in the milk and sent it through my system. Keeps my sugar stable all night. (Also cures my sweet tooth! :wink: )
  • i hear ya! My problem is i'll be fine going to bed but if i drink tons of water at night I have to wake up at like 3am to go pee and by then is when I'm *STARVING* and can't sleep until i have milk or something like that :\
  • My professional oppinion is this:

It is very good to have a light snack before bed. Make sure it is either a protein snack like several hard boiled egg whites or a piece of chicken. Casein works very well. The other option would be good fats like almonds. I also like to take my fish oil supplement before bed. Contrary to popular belief, a fat or protein snack before bed will keep your metabolism raised during sleep and you will not be hungry.

Do not, I repeat do not, eat fruit or carbs before bed if your goal is weight loss. I have had clients gain weight just because they added fruit before bed. The sugars in fruit does not convert in the same way other carbs do. I can write volumes on this, but bottom line the sugars in fruit are stored in your liver, any excess beyond what your liver can hold will be converted to fat.

I had no idea!