Eating when you are not hungry

I wondering if anyone else has this problem. I know I shouldn't skip meals so sometimes I eat when I'm not hungry. I might eat a piece of fruit or a small meal that only makes up a couple of hundred calories. On days I work out and I have the extra calories, sometimes I don't even reach 1200. I'm concerned about this because I don't want to derail my progress by having my body go into "starvation mode". Any suggestions on how to recoup those calories that I don't use on a daily basis?

Replies

• allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    If I'm low on calories for a particular day, I may pick something small and nutrient dense to push me up, such as a piece of dark chocolate or a couple of tablespoons of sunflower seed butter (my latest kick -peanut butter is the same) with a little honey. I get calories, protein, fat and carbohydrates, and it feels like a treat. Nuts, in general, are a good go-to snack. With things like this, though, you really have to watch your portions.
  • I wish that was my problem... I am always hungry, and want to eat when I'm not!

I think as long as you are eating healthy and like you said not skipping meals you will be fine, but for sure dont starve yourself! :)
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Pretnd it's thanksgiving. You can do this.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I often have this problem, my "go to" snack is raw nuts (not salted or roasted).

Calorie dense and full of nutrition.

I have also been known to chug coconut oil but that is my wild ways. Lovely, lovely saturated fat ...

There is no way that you are going into "starvation mode" because of one lean day. People who practice Intermittent Fasting do not go into starvation mode. Do it repeatedly though and your body will down-regulate.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I really wish I knew what it felt like to not be hungry. I am always hungry, I eat all day, I even lost 50 pounds doing it! I don't want to say force yourself to eat if you are not hungry, but you've got to do your best to meet your calories goal. And by meet, I mean get as close to it as possible...maybe even go over it a little...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I really wish I knew what it felt like to not be hungry. I am always hungry, I eat all day, I even lost 50 pounds doing it! I don't want to say force yourself to eat if you are not hungry, but you've got to do your best to meet your calories goal. And by meet, I mean get as close to it as possible...maybe even go over it a little...

Since I switched to low carb I am rarely hungry. Honestly. It's a bloody liberation.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    It is really hard to say because we don't know what you are eating... if it is just fruit and salads you might not be able to sustain your new lifestyle and might lose quickly but gain it back just as fast and then some (been there done that) I just read an article that said that eating a breakfast high in protein and fat is better then eating carbs for breakfast. Who really knows about those things... just listen to your body and eat healthy protein and fats ( protein keeps me from being hungry ), keep an eye out on your sodium and you should not go under 1200 cal net...
    Hope that helps a little, and the tip wit the nut butters is very good
  • MB_Positif

Since I switched to low carb I am rarely hungry. Honestly. It's a bloody liberation.

I have low blood sugar, I literally feel stupid if I don't eat carbs. Sucks.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    fill up on healthy foods that have a lot of calories...ex: almonds, greek yogurt, an apple or banana with peanut butter, carrots with hummus, etc. :)
  • lanell26
    lanell26 Posts: 19
    i agree on the low carb, started losing and never really feel hungry , get alot of my carbs from
    fruits & veggie. and coffee creamer- gota have it::)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I've set myself up a meal schedule for the day. It's not set in stone, but I try to plan out what I'll have for breakfast, lunch, supper, and the snacks in between. The three main meals are always at set times, and the snacks are more-or-less directly between them. I eat whether or not I'm hungry because I know it if food my body requires to function properly, and if I skip a meal I know I'll pay for it later.

If you're into any sport, you'll eventually hear the phrase "If you wait until your body tells you it's thirsty, it's too late." Basically, when you're body needs water, it's dehydrated to the point where it's not running at peak efficiency. I believe the same applies to hunger.
  • WilliamD80
    WilliamD80 Posts: 26 Member
    If I am not hungry, I don't eat. I normally keep something on hand just in case. When I am not hungry for lunch I know I will be at 3PM. So eat a granola bar or something small to hold me over until Dinner.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member

The idea to low carbs is to regulate insulin so you don't drop into low blood sugar. It takes a week or two to even out. You may need to drink extra water durring this time. Dehydration can be a nasty side affect.
  • I sometimes have to make myself have a snack at the end of the night just so I'm not 2-300 under calories. I usually make it something I enjoy but can't always have, like chocolate or a cookie or something else kinda bad.

I try to make sure to eat a breakfast with lots of protein in it, because if I just have cereal or something that is nothing but carbs I am starving an hour later, and then I am hungry all day usually.

I agree on the coffee creamer - must have. I buy the big tubs!
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    I would just eat calorie dense foods every few hours. Bananas, peaches, nuts, peanut butter, chocolate, cheese, meat. Add evoo, coconut oil and earth balance to your prepared foods. This should raise your calories.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    I eat when I'm hungry. If I eat when I'm not hungry, I'll get sick, full of gas and feeling very uncomfortable. I never had a huge appetite. I drank my calories more than I ate them. I also ate a lot of candy. What I do now is I eat foods that are high in calories but not a lot volume. That's how I get through it. Sometimes I drink a protein shake and I can push that to 600 cals at once.

I know it's hard, but try your best! It really is worth it in the end when you see your body starting to change. It comes from a good diet and exercise.
  • MB_Positif

The idea to low carbs is to regulate insulin so you don't drop into low blood sugar. It takes a week or two to even out. You may need to drink extra water durring this time. Dehydration can be a nasty side affect.

Thanks for the info, but honestly I am only 5 pounds from my goal weight and am just eating at maintenance right now anyway. Not planning to change the way I eat :)
  • darkandlovelyj
    darkandlovelyj Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will definitely try some of them and see how it works out for me. Thanks again.