USWNT - SOCCER

2»

Replies

• BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    And I do not think for a second the USA has any fault in this. The teams from Canada and the US gave us a game for the ages. It was everything any sports fan could hope for. Drama, stellar play, toughness, perseverance, you name it. This game had it. But the officiating was not up to the level of play. Simple as that.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    It's tainted. Enjoy!

your tears are salty and sweet.

keep working hard maybe some day your girls can step up and win a big one! :)

And I hope we do it without help. It will be so much sweeter that way.

nobody had any help...bad calls are part of sports...the bad calls even out...and its my guess that not one single member of the US team thinks twice about it and its not any less "sweet".

keep your chin up...you probably will beat us in curling. :)

edit to add: i guess you are not Canadian. so we might not lose to you in curling :D
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member

if the ref doesn't give the USA that gift free kick then Canada wins.

the ref missed crucial fouls on canada that were not called and the US could have still scored if that penalty wasnt called.

and both teams had an equal chance to win in the extra time. the US stepped up...canada did not.

BAM!!!!

LOL BAM?!?!?
    that was weak

as for the calls going both ways...yes that happens in all sports, but to make a delay of game call at the point in the game with everything that was going on was ridiculous. the ref should have told Wambach to shut up and worry about scoring instead of counting steamboats. but no she caved and made a call that no ref ever makes in a game of that magnitude. call it sour grapes, but that's a ref directly inserting herself into the outcome of the game.
  • Laces_0ut
    LOL BAM?!?!?
    that was weak

as for the calls going both ways...yes that happens in all sports, but to make a delay of game call at the point in the game with everything that was going on was ridiculous. the ref should have told Wambach to shut up and worry about scoring instead of counting steamboats. but no she caved and made a call that no ref ever makes in a game of that magnitude. call it sour grapes, but that's a ref directly inserting herself into the outcome of the game.

you know what is weak? all the cry babies in this thread. The US has always been the better team and they were better on that day as well.

at least you guys are OK at hockey. :)
  • BillyC96

nobody had any help...bad calls are part of sports...the bad calls even out...and its my guess that not one single member of the US team thinks twice about it and its not any less "sweet".

keep your chin up...you probably will beat us in curling. :)

edit to add: i guess you are not Canadian. so we might not lose to you in curling :D
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    LOL BAM?!?!?
    that was weak

you know what is weak? all the cry babies in this thread. The US has always been the better team and they were better on that day as well.

there's a difference between crying and being pissed off at a crappy call.
    the thing that bugs me the most about it was that it wasn't a missed call in the heat of the moment or a split second judgement call.
    the hand ball call i can live with (even though i think it was wrong as well) because it was a bang bang call, but the delay of game call was total crap.
    you're right the USA has always been better at soccer than Canada, but on that day they needed a gift from the ref.
  • BillyC96

I wonder if it had gone the other way, just how loud would you be? I'm big on fair play, and if my team wins or loses I want both teams to be at the top of their game. I also expect the officiating to be top notch as well. It is not being a 'crybaby' to expect that in a game as important as that. I had a wander through the international press, and without fail they said Canada got screwed. Most of those countries have a much longer and more knowledgeable football press than either Canada or the USA.
  • Laces_0ut

I wonder if it had gone the other way, just how loud would you be? I'm big on fair play, and if my team wins or loses I want both teams to be at the top of their game. I also expect the officiating to be top notch as well. It is not being a 'crybaby' to expect that in a game as important as that. I had a wander through the international press, and without fail they said Canada got screwed. Most of those countries have a much longer and more knowledgeable football press than either Canada or the USA.

i may feel like my team got screwed but i wouldnt go into a thread congratulating the canadian team on a win and start whining about the refs.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    I am NOT Canadian and I think they were robbed, they played well and the ref was rubbish, but that said, Women's football is rubbish, in all the countries of the world that play football seriously, womens football does not get air time, so you go right ahead being pleased with the win, its like the World series...not that many nations in that is there?

:laugh: :wink:
  • Laces_0ut
    I am NOT Canadian and I think they were robbed, they played well and the ref was rubbish, but that said, Women's football is rubbish, in all the countries of the world that play football seriously, womens football does not get air time, so you go right ahead being pleased with the win, its like the World series...not that many nations in that is there?

they arent showing the brazil women's olympic team in brazil? i find that hard to believe. and its not like we keep watching women's soccer once the Olympics and WWC are over.

as for the world series...what team outside the US/MLB is going to be any challenge? none. maybe when the rest of the world pro teams get better we could see a Champions League for baseball and basketball but my guess is that is a long way off.
  • BillyC96

i may feel like my team got screwed but i wouldnt go into a thread congratulating the canadian team on a win and start whining about the refs.

And on the same token I wouldn't be blowing my team's horn if I thought they weren't full measure for the victory.

Wanna play some cricket?
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member

they arent showing the brazil women's olympic team in brazil? i find that hard to believe. and its not like we keep watching women's soccer once the Olympics and WWC are over.

as for the world series...what team outside the US/MLB is going to be any challenge? none. maybe when the rest of the world pro teams get better we could see a Champions League for baseball and basketball but my guess is that is a long way off.

Nah, we don't want to play, you go knock yourselves out. We have Cricket, loads of countries play that, like they play football...oh and loads of countries is what you need to call it 'World' something or other, so just a heads up, I would call it the US series, to be on the safe side. Have a super nice day, oh and the Olympics are not over yet..we just won another Gold medal :flowerforyou:
  • Laces_0ut
    [Nah, we don't want to play, you go knock yourselves out. We have Cricket, loads of countries play that, like they play football...oh and loads of countries is what you need to call it 'World' something or other, so just a heads up, I would call it the US series, to be on the safe side. Have a super nice day, oh and the Olympics are not over yet..we just won another Gold medal :flowerforyou:

we'll keep calling World since nobody else has any good pro teams. maybe if the rest of teh world steps up we'll change our minds. :)

cricket fascinates me. i wish we had more exposure to it here. id love to learn it and follow it. at least we are finally getting regular EPL and to a lesser extent La LIga games here.

and im assuming you are in England? if so congrats on another gold. you guys are having a great olympics. i always pull for England/Great Britain(unless there is some heart warming human interest story involved) if the USA cant win.
  • Laces_0ut

And on the same token I wouldn't be blowing my team's horn if I thought they weren't full measure for the victory.

Wanna play some cricket?

maybe if you supported your team more they'd win? :)

id love to play some cricket! but id need to study the rules first. ive always wanted to attend a match with someone who knows the game so they could teach it to me.
  • BillyC96
    [Nah, we don't want to play, you go knock yourselves out. We have Cricket, loads of countries play that, like they play football...oh and loads of countries is what you need to call it 'World' something or other, so just a heads up, I would call it the US series, to be on the safe side. Have a super nice day, oh and the Olympics are not over yet..we just won another Gold medal :flowerforyou:

we'll keep calling World since nobody else has any good pro teams. maybe if the rest of teh world steps up we'll change our minds. :)

cricket fascinates me. i wish we had more exposure to it here. id love to learn it and follow it. at least we are finally getting regular EPL and to a lesser extent La LIga games here.

and im assuming you are in England? if so congrats on another gold. you guys are having a great olympics. i always pull for England/Great Britain(unless there is some heart warming human interest story involved) if the USA cant win.

See now you got me liking you. Real :smile: . The truth is I don't think we are very apart here, and I'm not the least bit annoyed that the USA beat Canada. They're a great team. I don't like how, but that's how it goes sometimes. Incidentally I am Canadian. I live in the UK. Cricket is pretty much unfathomable. One of my best friend plays and his attempts to enlighten me are met with a glazed look. I cheer for Canadians first, underdogs second. I never like to see anyone lose because of bad officiating under any circumstances. I hate bad decisions and bad calls by judges. I almost never watch any sport that has a judge as arbiter. Stopwatches are better. They can't be swayed.

I will assume you watch professional sports in some capacity. So do I. regardless of what's at stake I hate it when the officials have influence on the outcome. So I hope you don't mind if I think Monday's result sucked.
  • Laces_0ut

See now you got me liking you. Real :smile: . The truth is I don't think we are very apart here, and I'm not the least bit annoyed that the USA beat Canada. They're a great team. I don't like how, but that's how it goes sometimes. Incidentally I am Canadian. I live in the UK. Cricket is pretty much unfathomable. One of my best friend plays and his attempts to enlighten me are met with a glazed look. I cheer for Canadians first, underdogs second. I never like to see anyone lose because of bad officiating under any circumstances. I hate bad decisions and bad calls by judges. I almost never watch any sport that has a judge as arbiter. Stopwatches are better. They can't be swayed.

I will assume you watch professional sports in some capacity. So do I. regardless of what's at stake I hate it when the officials have influence on the outcome. So I hope you don't mind if I think Monday's result sucked.

<3

of course i dont mind. ive nearly broken my tv when my teams get cheated.

and dont get me started on sports with judges. i still watch but they can be very annoying. at least i dont care about them as much as others. :)

and i certainly dont mean any offense with anything i say...this has the feel of a sports bar conversation to me. :)

whos your favorite hockey team?
  • BillyC96

and i certainly dont mean any offense with anything i say...this has the feel of a sports bar conversation to me. :)

whos your favorite hockey team?

Agreed. I take no offence and hope I don't give any either. This isn't a USA - Canada problem. It's a FIFA problem, and I feel both teams got jobbed by not having the best possible official working such an important game.

You have to promise not to laugh about my favourite hockey team. I grew up in Toronto, and I'm a life long Leafs fan. I live in hope that one day we'll actually be a good team. We were once, and I'm old enough to remember them winning 3 Stanley Cups.
  • Laces_0ut
    Agreed. I take no offence and hope I don't give any either. This isn't a USA - Canada problem. It's a FIFA problem, and I feel both teams got jobbed by not having the best possible official working such an important game.

You have to promise not to laugh about my favourite hockey team. I grew up in Toronto, and I'm a life long Leafs fan. I live in hope that one day we'll actually be a good team. We were once, and I'm old enough to remember them winning 3 Stanley Cups.

at least you have some fond memories...i'm a Caps fan....whats red, white and blue and plays golf in April? :D

its amazing that Toronto hasnt got it together at some point. love the jerseys!
  • JPLYLER09
    JPLYLER09 Posts: 78 Member
    I wanted to tell you ladies about the Kick For A Cause. It's a woman's charity soccer tournament that will be celebrating 15 years July 27 & 28th in Wallingford, CT. A couple hundred amazing women will be playing a sport they love to help those whose lives have been affected by violence. There will be 3 age brackets: Over-21 (11v11), O-40 (8v8) and O-50 (8v8) all refereed by certified officials. All Proceeds from this event will be donated to the Chrysalis organization. Where they can provide support services to to those affected by domestic violence. If you need more info https://www.kfac.org I also set a group on here- Kick For A Cause https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/121908-kick-for-a-cause