Too fat for squats?

I have a problem.. I started my strength training a couple of days ago following a really easy program for beginners. It requires 30 squats (3 x 10), 30 rows and 30 push-ups.

I was reasonably active before I started MFP. I walk to work every day (30 min round trip), went for walks probably 2 more times a week and took longer hikes on the weekends. My legs should be in great shape! They have no fat on them that I can see except my 2 little 'cupcakes' ( the little handful of fat between my thighs at the top). Now, after doing just 30 squats I have not been able to walk properly for 2 days! and I couldn't even go on my little half hour ride yesterday because I could barely get up my stairs into my apartment. I will have to try again tonight but I don't even know if i can do it then.

I use a chair behind me to make sure that my form is right and I have had a trainer show me before so I am reasonably sure that I am not doing them wrong. The only thing I can think of is just that I am too fat for these still and I should just lay off doing more work to my legs for a while until I drop a bit more weight. I was totally fine and in no abnormal pain at all from doing my 'normal' active stuff before this (walking everyday and biking every 2nd) My arms/back are a little sore,which I totally expected from the rows & push-ups but even when I was working out before (when I weighed less) I don't ever remember not being able to walk properly for 2+ days from squats and I used to do a lot more of them!

Any Ideas? Should I just wait for a while and keep on doing my other stuff? The problem is that if I can't do my normal things I can't get the exercise calories for them and since I don't get anything from working out its counter productive to kill my legs doing it.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Not too fat, just not in shape. Stick with it for a while and your body will get used to it. Each time you should be less and less sore until you no longer get sore the next day. The term for this soreness is Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).

Are you adding weight or just doing body weight squats? If it is just body weight, then think about people that squat 300+lbs that weigh in the 200 lb range themselves, that would be much more. It is more about getting use to the exercise and movements.
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    I would continue to do them, and just not sink down as low....it'll still work out the same muscles while letting them build up strength until you're ready to do a real squat.
  • Honey, I'm pretty sure you're not too fat for squats :).... That's just crazy. You're just doing things with your body that you haven't done before (walking is not the same as squats!! different movement, different muscles, different impact) so give your body some time to adjust!

You'll be fine in a couple of weeks practise. Maybe wait a few days for your legs to be less sore and make sure you eat enough protein ;)

Good luck hun!
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    You are probably just using different muscles than your every day routine. When you get used to an exercise you don't feel it, but once you change it up you will feel it. I am fairly active, workout with weights, do the eliptical, walk/run etc., but when I changed things up and did a workout that included a lot of squats and lunges I thought I was going to die, my legs hurt so bad. I doubt it is anything you did wrong, just new. Keep at it and it will get easier.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    I was this sore when I first started doing squats as well. There is nothing like slamming down on the toilet because you are too sore to lower yourself slowly. Trust me I have been there!

My advice is that you are not to heavy, but that you haven't worked out those particular muscles in a while. I would wait until you are sore, but not uncomforably so and then maybe start out with 2 sets of 5 and work up from there. They will get easier. I started out being sore after 10-15 total squats, but I think I could do them for over 30 minutes now without a break.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    I'm heavier than you, but i do squats regularly. Your leg muscles just aren't used to doing that sort of work. Keep at it, your body will get used to it.
  • MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Everybody hates DOMS mine normally kick in two days after squating and I have had them where I was struggling to walk/sit down etc. If they are really stopping you from doing other things then perhaps try lunges or another leg exercise until your legs get used to the exercising again. The DOMS do ease with time if you keep up with the squats its just a case of getting through them. The Squat is one of the best exercises out there but if its to bad then try something easier. Good luck
  • I would keep with it. Give it at least a few more days, that way your body has a chance to push through the pain and get use to it. For me, I went from doing absolutely nothing, to walking and 30 day shred, and I felt like I would have died. By day 6 though, the soreness was much easier to deal with.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    No definitely not too fat, the first time I started weight training back in high school my legs were so sore they actually buckled out from underneath me because my muscles were so sore, and I weighed 110lbs. I've had a few times even recently that I couldn't walk correctly. I just started heavy lifitng and have found that deep stretching yoga 2x a week has been a life saver, it sucks hardcore while you're doing it, but about an hour after you'll be amazed at how you feel. Keep at it and it'll get easier and easier each time, remember you need stress and soreness to make changes to your body!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    I would continue to do them, and just not sink down as low....it'll still work out the same muscles while letting them build up strength until you're ready to do a real squat.

I would not do this, I would go down the full way, as going lower brings more of the glutes and hamstrings into the movement. If you need it easier do 3 sets of 8 reps instead of 3x10.
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    You are not too fat for squats. I think you are overestimating how active you were before starting your program. Walking 15 minutes to and from work should not be considered active. Really, walking 3-4 miles isn't that active. Also, endurance activities such as walking, running, swimming, etc., use different muscle fibers than lifting. Its not suprising that you are really sore. I remember my first session with a personal trainer after years of not lifting and it was not pretty. I couldn't move for days! And I was an avid runner before starting lifting.

Although it hurts low impact exercise such as wallking will actually help the soreness fade. Also make sure to stretch.

Keep up the squats! And throw in some lunges into the mix as well.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member

I would not do this, I would go down the full way, as going lower brings more of the glutes and hamstrings into the movement. If you need it easier do 3 sets of 8 reps instead of 3x10.

Going to parallel or lower also takes the pressure off your ACL/MCL. In other words: Safer for your knees.
  • fordies
    fordies Posts: 14
    Squats are killer for the first few sessions but you will get past it eventually. I could hardly move after I first introduced squats into my routine but now I only suffer with muscle soreness when I increase the weight.

Just keep plugging away at them and I can assure you it will improve.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    ?can you do the exercises range of motion without additional weight ???

Having back (disc)trouble I am very careful with finding MY limits.

Don't let other's tell you how much to lift. listen to YOUR body.

I would rather you be able to squat an empty bar 30 times and increase the weight a pound a month than see you sidelined.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    As Jillian would say "I have 300lbs people doing this stuff, don't quit!" You may not be able to go down as far but keep it up, you'll be surprised how much more you can do from day to day or week to week. Keep up the good work and don't give up!
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    absolutely stick w/ it!!! You're muscles are rewarding you with growth! Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - DOMS :)
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    If I can do them, you can do them! It will get better. Make sure and rest those muscles. I find that gentle stretching helps get over the soreness faster. I was the same way the first time I did the eliptical. You are just asking your muscles to do something new.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    I don't think you can be too fat for squats... Biggest Loser, don't know what season but Bob had the big old guy O'Neal who had bad knees and was 300 something pounds doing slow squats on a balance board!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member

Going to parallel or lower also takes the pressure off your ACL/MCL. In other words: Safer for your knees.

Go lower bellow parallel and reduce reps as suggested then increase your reps gradually
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    When I started exercising it was tough, I was so sore I could barely move, so start a bit slower, like others have said, start with 2 sets of 5, then work up. that was likely a bit too much too fast, you should be sore but not debilitating sore. I had to take two months off for surgery and when I went back to the gym I was surprised by how much I had to ease up just to get through my workout but each trip I add a few more reps or a bit more weight as i work back up to my former workout.