Warrior dash or Tough Mudder

Would love to hear about your experience with either of these races. I'm focusing on doing one in the Spring/ Summer next year with a group of friends. No one has done it before though.

Replies

• Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    They're a lot of fun, especially if you do it with a group of friends. Personally, I think the Warrior Dash is the easier of the two so maybe that's a good one to start with. Have fun gettin' dirty!!
  • Dyana82
    Dyana82 Posts: 12
    I just signed up for Warrior Dash in 2013. I'm a little freaked out cuz I'm over weight and out of shape. I've never been, but a group of my friends have gone the last 2 years and loved it!!
  • I am also signed up for the Warrior Dash next summer! A group of friends and I are all training for it together and trying to get into shape :-)

One of the guys who is heading up our team did it this summer, and it was kind of the kick off of his weight loss. He was able to complete it. It sounds like there was a (non-dangerous) fire pit to leap over, mud, running... it was apparently a blast!!
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    I'm doing the Warrior Dash in a little less than 2 months. I absolutely, positively cannot wait. I've been counting down the days since I signed up a few months ago. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but every time I see the words "Warrior Dash," I get excited and have to chime in.

If it helps, I've heard from friends and others who have participated that as long as you're moderately in shape, it shouldn't be a problem. You can also skip any of the obstacles if you just can't manage to do them -- but I'm sure you could manage them all, just by looking at your profile pic. :) I'm kind of nervous about the rope wall, but I've been working on and will continue to work on my upper arm and core strength.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I'm doing the Warrior Dash in a little less than 2 months. I absolutely, positively cannot wait. I've been counting down the days since I signed up a few months ago. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but every time I see the words "Warrior Dash," I get excited and have to chime in.

If it helps, I've heard from friends and others who have participated that as long as you're moderately in shape, it shouldn't be a problem. You can also skip any of the obstacles if you just can't manage to do them -- but I'm sure you could manage them all, just by looking at your profile pic. :) I'm kind of nervous about the rope wall, but I've been working on and will continue to work on my upper arm and core strength.

Where? I'm doing the warrior dash for the first time in NH on sept 15th
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member

Warrior, AL (Hah!) on October 6th
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member

My cousin wants to do this is it weird that I'm afraid to try this? I'm doing P90x but signing up for the Warrior Dash frightens the panties off of me.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Doing Warrior Dash Sept 22nd in CT. Tough Mudder is a LOT longer. I started training (read losing weight!) June 2nd and its been good motivation for me knowing it is coming. Last weekend I ran 5k for the first time, 2nd time today. So I'm getting there.
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    I just signed up for Warrior Dash in 2013. I'm a little freaked out cuz I'm over weight and out of shape. I've never been, but a group of my friends have gone the last 2 years and loved it!!

I understand, I'm overweight too. But I workout a ton already and I have been working on my running. So I think I'm gonna be more than ready for it next year.

Thanks for replying everyone.
  • cakelady69
    Doing Warrior Dash Sept 22nd in CT. Tough Mudder is a LOT longer. I started training (read losing weight!) June 2nd and its been good motivation for me knowing it is coming. Last weekend I ran 5k for the first time, 2nd time today. So I'm getting there.

Great job! I'm sure you'll have a blast. 2 5k's in a row. WOW
  • pstansel74
    By that I mean I went to the high school track and ran one ;) Although next weekend I do have an actual 5k next weekend, the Rhythym Race in East Hartford.
  • cakelady69
    By that I mean I went to the high school track and ran one ;) Although next weekend I do have an actual 5k next weekend, the Rhythym Race in East Hartford.

You still ran that far! That's great no matter what! Good luck next week!
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    If you are working out regularly, you'll be fine for the Warrior Dash. One of my friends that did it with me was overweight, but she works out and she did fine. You can walk when you get winded and you can skip an obstacle if you just can't do it. Compared to other mud runs I've done, I didn't think the obstacles were too difficult. And the fire you leap over at the end is literally 6 inches off the ground. They really make don't make it too hard, just challenging enough to keep it interesting. It's a lot of fun cheering each other on and getting dirty.
  • cakelady69
    Mceastes-that's what I figured. I do work out 6 days a week. So I think I will be okay. I'm not going to do it till next year and by then I should be down a sizable amount of weight.
  • justal313
    Yeah, not only am I doing the warrior dash next month, but the very next day I'm doing the Halfway to St. Pats 5k. You get a kilt and at the end you get a beer to having during the Celtic festival. I must be insane. I have 2 other friends doing both with me too. Should be fun, or bad, probably both.
  • pstansel74
    Yeah, not only am I doing the warrior dash next month, but the very next day I'm doing the Halfway to St. Pats 5k. You get a kilt and at the end you get a beer to having during the Celtic festival. I must be insane. I have 2 other friends doing both with me too. Should be fun, or bad, probably both.

Man, making me want to drive up tp get a kilt!
  • justal313

http://www.millenniumrunning.com/Pages/HALFWAYTOSTPADDYS5K.aspx
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    I did the Warrior Dash in June. It really wasn't that hard, running the hilly terrain was harder than any of the obstacles. It's about 3 miles long so if you can run that far and climb a ladder you will probably be fine. You can go around any obstacle you don't want to do.

I haven't done a Tough Mudder, but I have friends that did. It's a half marathon plus obstacles, real obstacles not the easy Warrior Dash ones. They jumped off a cliff into water and were electrocuted several times. It's hardcore.

My friend told me that at the end of mile 3 in the TM, they put up a sign reading "Warrior Dash Finish", at that point you still have ten miles to run.
  • tsboulanger
    tsboulanger Posts: 58 Member
    Just finished the Warrior Dash Saturday in Indiana... lots of fun and very muddy! My body still hurts today! The obstacles are not real hard... you just use all muscles groups. You do not run the full 5k due to people waiting at the obstacles and some paths were slick...plus some people just walked when they wanted too. The hills were probably the hardest... so train going up and down steep hills if your course has them... we had a hell's hill! :) I saw all sizes and ages doing this race... you can do it! Its alot of fun!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member

http://www.millenniumrunning.com/Pages/HALFWAYTOSTPADDYS5K.aspx
    I ran the Chief Maloney Memorial 5.8 miler that Millennium put together in literally two weeks this spring. I've been meaning to sign up for one of their other races. The Maloney Memorial was incredibly well organized and put together given the time frame, I'd love to see what they can do with a race they actually had time to plan. I'm doing the Whole Foods 5k in Cambridge the weekend after this one, but it looks like fun. I wonder if I can convince the wife to do a back to back weekend 5k Fest.