Can someone please explain TDEE/BMR/BMI and weight loss?

WTBSE
WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
Hi all. Is there a link somewhere on here that works out your TDEE?
Also, can someone please explain to me the difference between all of these concepts?

MFP has me eating 1200 calories a day, which i am struggling to keep to and i havent lost anything for 2 weeks, despite exercising more.

Can someone please help me, i am getting very despondent.

Replies

• lisamlc
    lisamlc Posts: 61
    Just found this for TDEE: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I don't understand all of this stuff either!
  • littlejobo120
    littlejobo120 Posts: 72 Member
    I wrote a reply on a thread similar to this the other day and a couple of people have come back and said that they found it helpful so hopefully it will help you too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/692123-feedback-on-my-diary-please-please-please

We are already friends but if anyone else would like to add me, please feel free to do so.

Good luck!
  • WTBSE
    Thanks!
    Apparently my TDEE is 1842. I just have no idea what this number means. Is it the number of calories i should be eating a day -500 for WL?
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    In a nutshell:

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate - How many cals you need to lie in bed all day, have your basic functions.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure - The cals you need to eat to maintain your current weight taking into consideration your daily tasks, job, exercise etc.

My advice to you is to use this instead:

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fitness-and-diet-tips/determining-your-AMR

Work out your TDEE and then reduce this amount by 10-20% if you're wanting to lose weight. Eat the full TDEE if you want to maintain your weight or eat 10-20% more if you want to gain weight.

I hope this helps :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    tdee is your total daily energy expenditure. it takes into account your activity level for your age and height and weight and recommends how much maximum you should be eating. BMR is your basel metobolic rate, or how much your body would need if it was just laying their doing nothing all day.

you should be eating some where in between these numbers to lose weight.

my tdee is 2888, and bmr is 1863. if i were trying to lose weight, i would eat somewhere in between those numbers. i'd probably eat somewhere around 2400 calories.

ladies, 1200 calories is usually way too low for most of you. eating more will actually alow your body to burn more, because you'll have more energy for day to day activities, not to mention having more energy for exercise.

one of my female friends on here was eating 1200 calories for months and i suggested that she up her calories to 1400 for 2-3 weeks. she initiall balked, but afterwards found that she had more energy and was less cranky and moody, and was more enthusiastic about exercising. she now eats a lot more, and does a great combination of cardio and strength training.

remember, all of these calorie numbers are guesses. reletivly accurate guesses, but guesses none the less.
  • WTBSE
    My BMR is 1540.9

So, should i eat in between 1540 and 1842 in order to lose then?
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    check out healthstatus.com, they have pretty good explanations.
  • Capt_Apollo
    My BMR is 1540.9

pretty much. so right smack in the middle is 1700 calories. i'd try and aim for that and you should be good to go!
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    In a nutshell:

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate - How many cals you need to lie in bed all day, have your basic functions.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure - The cals you need to eat to maintain your current weight taking into consideration your daily tasks, job, exercise etc.

Work out your TDEE and then reduce this amount by 10-20% if you're wanting to lose weight. Eat the full TDEE if you want to maintain your weight or eat 10-20% more if you want to gain weight.

^ This ^

I use scoobys workshop calorie calculator - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I make sure to always net above my BMR but remember if you include your exercise in your activity level, not to eat back your exercise calories as it will be included in the calculation. If you still want to add your exercise and eat the calories back as you do it, you'd need to not include it in the calculation for your TDEE.
  • WTBSE
    My BMR is 1540.9

pretty much. so right smack in the middle is 1700 calories. i'd try and aim for that and you should be good to go!

Wowza, 1700cals seems quite a lot for losing weight! But, i trust what you are all telling me, so am going to give it a go!

What about exercise? Do i just carry on eating between my TDEE and BMR regardless of what exercise i do (i never do loads of exercise, just walking and i have started my C25K too)?
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Thanks!
    Apparently my TDEE is 1842. I just have no idea what this number means. Is it the number of calories i should be eating a day -500 for WL?

This is what I have understood to be true. Some folks don't think you should eat below your BMR, and that you will lose weight faster and with less muscle loss if you stay above BMR. I'm eating below my BMR most days and I'm happy with the results. I have a suspicion that if you need to lose a LOT of weight, eating below your BMR is less of a problem. Apparently, the heavier you are, the less likely you are to lose lots of muscle when you eat below BMR. I think it is because you need so much more muscle than a smaller person just to lug your butt around.

Maybe someone here can comment on this if I'm wrong.

Shannon
  • WTBSE
    In a nutshell:

^ This ^

I use scoobys workshop calorie calculator - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I make sure to always net above my BMR but remember if you include your exercise in your activity level, not to eat back your exercise calories as it will be included in the calculation. If you still want to add your exercise and eat the calories back as you do it, you'd need to not include it in the calculation for your TDEE.

Ahh, you answered my exercise Q, thanks :)
  • WTBSE
    Thanks!

This is what I have understood to be true. Some folks don't think you should eat below your BMR, and that you will lose weight faster and with less muscle loss if you stay above BMR. I'm eating below my BMR most days and I'm happy with the results. I have a suspicion that if you need to lose a LOT of weight, eating below your BMR is less of a problem. Apparently, the heavier you are, the less likely you are to lose lots of muscle when you eat below BMR. I think it is because you need so much more muscle than a smaller person just to lug your butt around.

Maybe someone here can comment on this if I'm wrong.

Shannon

Thanks Shannon,
    i am 168lbs and am looking to lose 30lbs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    My BMR is 1540.9

Wowza, 1700cals seems quite a lot for losing weight! But, i trust what you are all telling me, so am going to give it a go!

What about exercise? Do i just carry on eating between my TDEE and BMR regardless of what exercise i do (i never do loads of exercise, just walking and i have started my C25K too)?

why would you trust me?? i'm just a guy on the internet. i could be some crackpot. go and do your own research, find out what works for you.

and as your activity level rises, your TDEE will change.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Bump to save and work this out later.
  • WTBSE
    My BMR is 1540.9

why would you trust me?? i'm just a guy on the internet. i could be some crackpot. go and do your own research, find out what works for you.

and as your activity level rises, your TDEE will change.

Because your ticker shows a 34lb weightloss, whereas mine shows a 2lb weightloss!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    My BMR is 1540.9

TDEE includes all exercise, so if you are exercising more, then your TDEE will go up. You can calculate by how much by figuring out how many calories you are burning a week between walking and C25K, then dividing by seven and adding the total to your TDEE without exercise.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    My BMR is 1540.9

It does seem like a lot but it's very possible. I'm doing 1750 and it broke my plateau :)
    If you entered your activity level correctly then that is factored in your TDEE. I'm going to be restarting Insanity this week and reassessed my TDEE and will raise my cal to 1950.
  • SandyQ229
    SandyQ229 Posts: 153 Member
    go to thsi link here on MFP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    this guy Dan is awesome!! and after reading it all it makes sense.
  • WTBSE
    go to thsi link here on MFP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    this guy Dan is awesome!! and after reading it all it makes sense.

Thanks, this link is awsome!