grip strength??

AABru
AABru Posts: 610 Member
So I am finding with my lunges and step-ups that my wrist and forearms can not handle the weight that my lower body can handle during three sets. By the third set I have to use a lighter weight because my grip gives out. So for step-ups today, I used the 40 pound dumbbells for the first two sets and then had to drop to the 35 for my last set of 10. I am holding my hands at my sides. Should I be resting the dumbbells on my shoulders instead? Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Other than wrist curls, I do not know of any wrist/forearm strength builders...

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    I found using a barbell to be easier, just takes a little practice with coordination at first (guess it depends how high your step is too).
  • AABru
    I'm using a 12 inch step...do you use the barbell for lunges as well?
  • I'd suggest to do wrist curls, take an extra 30 seconds to rest your hands, or use a barbell.

I have issues with my wrist a lot, and I do the first two suggestions.
    I hope your wrist hurt less (:
  • I'm using a 12 inch step...do you use the barbell for lunges as well?

I use a barbell for lunges.
    I do split-leg lunges because it's easier on my knees and my form is better that way.
  • AABru
    I'm using a 12 inch step...do you use the barbell for lunges as well?

I use a barbell for lunges.
    I do split-leg lunges because it's easier on my knees and my form is better that way.
    I'm going to have to look into these...I really don't like lunges at all...they are my least favorite weightbearing exercise right now. Thanks!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    I've switched to a barbell as well.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    For the step-ups, you could also try a higher bench, which you would probably need to reduce the weight for.

For the lunges, if you're in stage 1, maybe try them stage 2/4 style, where they're static, with your rear foot elevated on a step, maybe with a riser if that's still too easy?
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    So I am finding with my lunges and step-ups that my wrist and forearms can not handle the weight that my lower body can handle during three sets. By the third set I have to use a lighter weight because my grip gives out. So for step-ups today, I used the 40 pound dumbbells for the first two sets and then had to drop to the 35 for my last set of 10. I am holding my hands at my sides. Should I be resting the dumbbells on my shoulders instead? Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Other than wrist curls, I do not know of any wrist/forearm strength builders...

Have you tried using weight lifting gloves? They provide a bit more traction. I've never had grip issues when I use them. In fact, I tried to deadlift without them once and could barely do two reps my hands hurt so badly. Put the gloves on and was able to knock out the rest of my set with no problem.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I either use the barbell, but you'll also want to do farmer carries as you will need to get the grip strength up.
  • AABru
    Thanks for the ideas. I think next session I will try a bar instead of hand weights, or barbells on my shoulders instead of held down at the side. I think I have tendonitis in my right wrist, but I can't afford to stop exercising. I use exercise as my main stress relief, and I'm going to back to work this week (I teach). I tried JUST walking and running, but I have tendonitis in my ankle...lol it's hell to get old!
  • KStambulic
    KStambulic Posts: 131
    I either use the barbell, but you'll also want to do farmer carries as you will need to get the grip strength up.

What are farmer carries? I have problems with my wrists as well. Probably caused by working on a computer all day.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    [/quote]
    What are farmer carries? I have problems with my wrists as well. Probably caused by working on a computer all day.
    [/quote]

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/farmers-walk

hope that explains them :happy:
  • AABru
    Just wanted to come back as follow up...I did split lunges yesterday instead of standing, and used the barbell with plates instead of dumbbells. It took a set to get used to the new balance, but this worked perfect for me. Wish I had thought of it before...I was actually able to add 20 more pounds compared to my last lunge session, and the barbell took all of the pressure off of my wrists. THank you!
  • I either use the barbell, but you'll also want to do farmer carries as you will need to get the grip strength up.

I used to do this around the gym to try and stregthen my grip and a member of staff threatened to have me banned for taking the heavy weights out of the heavy weights area >.>
  • AABru

I used to do this around the gym to try and stregthen my grip and a member of staff threatened to have me banned for taking the heavy weights out of the heavy weights area >.>

When I was a girl (10-15) my dad used to make me carry 5 gallon buckets of water around...watering plants in the garden and feeding our pets
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    try using chalk or liquid chalk when you lift. I started using is and it makes a massive difference to my grip and also stops the skin rolling when you are holding heavy DB's at your side like for the step ups and lunges :)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    I have the same problem with my grip, but it's been getting better as I go. I was doing squats with 20# dumbells and I would have to put them down near the end of the set. But I just kept going and now I can carry them the whole set.

It's one of things... frustrating because you know your legs can keep going, but I figured I could get my grip "caught up" with my legs and then it wouldn't be a problem anymore.
  • AABru
    I liked the lunge so much with the bar that I tried step-ups with a bar...I wish you could have seen the looks I was getting :noway: :huh: lmao. However, my wrists do NOT hurt at all after working out today even with push-ups and jack-knives.