Question for all you mothers out there...

Options
LokiFae
LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
When did your kids start being afraid of everything? My son is 10 months old and he has just, in this past week, become afraid of cats, the tea kettle, being alone for more than thirty seconds, the stroller, the DVD player, my husband's shoes, his exersaucer, everyone he hasn't known for his entire life, and the list goes on and on and on...

Is this normal? I know that babies eventually start getting scared of things, but does it usually come on this quickly? He used to play SO nicely by himself, and go to other people with no problem, and I could get things done, but now he has to make sure I'm watching or holding him ALL THE TIME. It's starting to feel like a little too much togetherness.

Did this happen to any of you moms out there?

Replies

• LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    When did your kids start being afraid of everything? My son is 10 months old and he has just, in this past week, become afraid of cats, the tea kettle, being alone for more than thirty seconds, the stroller, the DVD player, my husband's shoes, his exersaucer, everyone he hasn't known for his entire life, and the list goes on and on and on...

Is this normal? I know that babies eventually start getting scared of things, but does it usually come on this quickly? He used to play SO nicely by himself, and go to other people with no problem, and I could get things done, but now he has to make sure I'm watching or holding him ALL THE TIME. It's starting to feel like a little too much togetherness.

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

Hmmm, well I do remember a time when my son would cry out in horror every time the toilet flushed at a store like Target or something like that. Those loud, booming flushes terrorized the poor thing!! Other than that, he doesn't have ENOUGH fear in him sometimes! He waves and smiles and says "Hi" to everyone. He doesn't want to hold my hand and instead go off and do his own exploring (even in the woods when hiking).

BUT, I think your son is in what they call "separation anxiety" mode. All children go through that at various times. They suddenly just want to be held all the time and don't want anyone else but you! It happens and he will get over it. It peaks at different ages. My son was pretty clingy for me for a couple weeks in April and was also in devil baby mode because of a combination of teething, growing, wanting to be more independent, lots of fresh air and getting tired! But, he is back to himself for the most part. I call it "Toddler PMS". (He's almost 18 months now)

Anyway, just give it some time....I think it's most likely the separation anxiety thing they all go through. Trust me, he will get to the point where you can't even get a cuddle out of him anymore!! :sad:

Take care!
    Tami
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Has something major changed in his life? You going back to work, changes in his sleep routine, etc?

My son was afraid of loud noises around that age (the blender, kettle, etc) and some strangers, but not as many things as you've described.

Don't worry, but good work on trying to figure it out!
    :flowerforyou:
  • alyssa150
    alyssa150 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a two year little girl and she is just know starting to be afraid of everything, other people, the vacuam cleaner and anything that makes noise. It so weird because she never was afraid of anything before. i think she may too be going through separation anxiety because she only wants me or my husband. She cried the other day when her grandparent come to pick her up the other day which was unsual.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Ri was only really scared ( I mean terrified) of the vacuum cleaner even when I was pregnant my belly would go crazy! He really isn't afraid of anything else (they still don't know if he is autistic yet though) they are actually scared in therapy by his lack of fear.

But knowing other moms I have heard how all of a sudden their child will be scared of things, I think it's just a phrase.
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    Yeah , it's all quiet common , I thought I was gonna go nuts when my son decided he wanted me and only me. But then he had a daddy phase where I couldn't even look at him without him freaking and it broke my heart and then ya get jealous of hubby lol. Enjoy mommy time! It isn't always the way. Although at almost 7 yrs old he's moms boy , loves to cuddle, give kisses and hugs and I love you's without a second thought.
  • dnelson
    dnelson Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree with the comment of seperation anxiety, and it is a stage that he'll grow out of, i was just laughing along with my now 14yr old son, about when he was younger and everytime this rapper coolio's video(gangsters paradise), my son would lose it, and cry and jump on me, along with when i ran the vacuum, and we just cracked up. He'll be fine.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    my son is also 10 months and he's afraid to be alone. for example, when i have stuff to do i'll have to put him in his walker and he doesn't want to be in it because he thinks i'm leaving him. other than that he's not afraid of strangers, but when he sees me there and i'm not holding him, of course, he'll cry.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I don't remember how old my son was, maybe somewhere around a year old (he's 21 now) but I can remember the first time he got scarred of something because it made me so mad that it happened. We were at a friend's home and her kids, which were quite a bit older than my son, were playing with him in the bedroom. They thought it was funny to turn the light out and scare him. I was sooooo mad because until that point he wasn't scared of anything, even the dark and they made afraid. OH WAS I MAD!!! :explode:

Now though, he loves the dark. :smile:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My Son wasn't afraid of anything but until he was 9 months old he wanted to be held all the time...on my hip all the time, cooking, housework, etc...I was fine with it, I didn't expect it to last once he learned to walk...His Father's family decided we had to break the habit before he got any older...they made me put him in the playpin where he could see me and I was not to pick him up when he cried just to be held...it was horrible...if I had been older and wiser I would have told everyone that I'm his mother and I'll decide what's appropriate for my Son.