Thoughts and recipes for Quinoa

Tonight I ate Quinoa for the first time. It was great. Any thoughts or recipes for it would be grately appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• curtisk228
    curtisk228 Posts: 14 Member
    The recipe for stuffed peppers actually sounds good! There's also a recipe for quinoa pudding. The equivalent of rice pudding but.with quinoa.

http://www.quinoa.net/181.html
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    I've been wanting to try it in stuffed peppers. You can also used cooked quinoa in place of breadcrumbs in meatloaf. I've also been making this recipe (recommended by someone else in the forums) a lot this summer, and it's been a huge hit: http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-vegetarian-quinoa-and-avocado-salad-with-carnivorous-possibilities.
  • You can use pretty much any recipe with rice and replace with Quinoa! Or even couscous recipes :)
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    I found some great ones on allrecipies.com!
  • mmhfit11
    mmhfit11 Posts: 9 Member
    Go to foodgawker.com and search quinoa - tons of great recipes!!
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    I eat it every morning for breakfast with a little bit of milk and stevia.
  • Thanks everyone for the ideas!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    I bought some 'crispy quinoa' at Whole Foods, and its so good, not only as cereal but for a healthier breading for chicken and fish. I just added a bit of seasoning to the quinoa, dipped the chicken or fish in egg whites and then the quinoa, and fried in a cast iron skillet with cooking spray-came out crispy and delicious :)
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Roast different veggies (asparagus, peppers, onion, ect) and chop them up, throw in some quinoa, a little sesame oil, soysauce/braggs/tamari, and ground ginger... yum!
  • kureiko
    kureiko Posts: 48 Member
    Bump (don't want to lose these yummy ideas!)
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    I bought some 'crispy quinoa' at Whole Foods, and its so good, not only as cereal but for a healthier breading for chicken and fish. I just added a bit of seasoning to the quinoa, dipped the chicken or fish in egg whites and then the quinoa, and fried in a cast iron skillet with cooking spray-came out crispy and delicious :)

I was wondering if you could tell me the brand name of the crispy quinoa? I've never seen it there. And which aisle did you find it in? I shop all the time at a Whole Foods in north Texas... would love to buy this.

• Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    This can be served warm or cold

Quinoa - Quinoa Cooked, 2 cup cooked
    Cheese - Feta, 0.25 cup, crumbled
    Fresh Express - Baby Spinach, 1 cups Chopped
    Whole Foods Market - Dried Cranberries 0.25 cup
    Almonds - Whole Natural , 0.25 cup
    Onions - Raw, 0.5 cup, chopped 34
    Berrio - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp

Take 2 cups of cooked quinoa mix in 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil then add the spinach, onions, almonds, cranberries & feta mix well & serve
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    I use it in pancakes as the "flour" part - just 3/4C quinoa, 1 whole egg, 1 egg white and cinnamon!

I also use it in smoothies (cooked) - I have a vitamix and it grinds it really smooth.

You can also cook it for breakfast instead of oatmeal - use almond milk or milk of your choice for the liquid instead of water.
  • jillymurdoch
    jillymurdoch Posts: 42 Member
    I eat mine as a salad - quinoa, chickpeas, green onion, cucumber, lemon juice, a little olive oil, and dill. Yummy yummer. I also like it cooked in chicken broth, add some curry powder, dried cranberries, walnuts, green onion.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I bought the flakes for hot cereal in the morning. use the sugar free chocolate almond milk to boil them in.. mmmm they are wonderful! If you were to add a few slices of banana or berries..even better.
  • kelly1142
    kelly1142 Posts: 27 Member
    I tried this recipe recently and it is fantastic. I only changed the regular corn for trader joes roasted corn.

Superfood salad

http://iowagirleats.com/recipes/superfood-salad-with-lemon-vinaigrette/
  • I've made quinoa meatloaf and quinoa stir-fry, and it's ALL really good. You can also make a big batch and use it in salads for the week.

Here's the recipe I used for the meatloaf:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=quinoa meatloaf&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • I eat quinoa all the time, I make this recipe quite a bit.

http://www.canadianfamily.ca/recipe/sensational-quinoa-mediterranean-salad/
  • casnic25
    casnic25 Posts: 81
    Bump for later
  • casNrice
    casNrice Posts: 14
    I made quinoa today for the first time. I used a Mediterranean Quinoa recipe off of allrecipes.com, just be sure to read some of the comments as the original recipe did need some tweaking. It smelled wonderful cooking and I really liked it. Quinoa must be great as the Fred Meyer here is always sold out of it in their bulk items!